E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No boost, limp mode, bad wastgates?

04-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
noidex
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93

No boost, limp mode, bad wastgates?

Hi,
I've finally given up and am asking for some help.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2007 e93 335i with the N54. It had a pretty low price due to a faulty HPFP and me and my friends managed to replace it with some weight savings in bolts. We also swapped the OEM charge pipe with an aluminum upgrade pipe.

Now I am trying to get rid of 30FF for the last 25 days. I've now replaced all vacuum lines in my engine, some of which were in pretty bad shape. It seems to hold vacuum and when I recorded my engine bay while driving I saw the rear wastegate being actuated.
Now it seems that the vacuum system is fine.
Still, my peak boost was -0,1 Bar. (For some reason, my OBD2 reader can't connect anymore and I am hesitant to spend 90€ on a MHD monitor license.)

The car still is very slow and it uses 16,4L/100km (14MPG), it feels like 120hp.

Today, I tried messing with MHD. When I flashed Stage 0 without the wastegate rattle fix, it rattled like hell. It was ridiculously loud and I didn't even hear the turbo spool. With the fix at max settings, the rattle is gone and I hear the turbo whine but it still is slow. I can barely reach 220kmh (136mph).

I guess it is the wastegates but I don't have a vacuum tester or even car jack since I am flat broke. The car has 156.700km (~97400 miles) and still is on the first turbos.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my very first car and I underestimated how much of a pain 30FF is.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:41 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidex View Post
Hi,
I've finally given up and am asking for some help.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2007 e93 335i with the N54. It had a pretty low price due to a faulty HPFP and me and my friends managed to replace it with some weight savings in bolts. We also swapped the OEM charge pipe with an aluminum upgrade pipe.

Now I am trying to get rid of 30FF for the last 25 days. I've now replaced all vacuum lines in my engine, some of which were in pretty bad shape. It seems to hold vacuum and when I recorded my engine bay while driving I saw the rear wastegate being actuated.
Now it seems that the vacuum system is fine.
Still, my peak boost was -0,1 Bar. (For some reason, my OBD2 reader can't connect anymore and I am hesitant to spend 90€ on a MHD monitor license.)

The car still is very slow and it uses 16,4L/100km (14MPG), it feels like 120hp.

Today, I tried messing with MHD. When I flashed Stage 0 without the wastegate rattle fix, it rattled like hell. It was ridiculously loud and I didn't even hear the turbo spool. With the fix at max settings, the rattle is gone and I hear the turbo whine but it still is slow. I can barely reach 220kmh (136mph).

I guess it is the wastegates but I don't have a vacuum tester or even car jack since I am flat broke. The car has 156.700km (~97400 miles) and still is on the first turbos.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my very first car and I underestimated how much of a pain 30FF is.
Yeah that code sucks. Have you looked into replacing the Boost solenoids yet? Also Try to adjust the turbo wategates rod rear. Front is lot harder to adjust. Try that. I did these 2 fixes and no more 30FF code after like 1000 miles.. Knock ✊ on 🪵.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #3
noidex
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Yeah that code sucks. Have you looked into replacing the Boost solenoids yet? Also Try to adjust the turbo wategates rod rear. Front is lot harder to adjust. Try that. I did these 2 fixes and no more 30FF code after like 1000 miles.. Knock ✊ on 🪵.
I guess I'll go for that, thanks!
I saw that you can put a washer between the arm and wastegate for the front turbo, I hope that works.
I've not replaced the boost solenoids yet since the rear wastegate moves and it looks like it's closing, I guess.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo971.00