E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Waste Gate and HPFP Lawsuit

05-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #111
nysour335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Hey guys, so check this out. I have a 2008 335i 6mt coupe n54. Purchased the car about 8 months ago used with CPO and Extended maintaince plan. Started hearing the heavy rattle dropping down in rpm. Took the car to my dealer, Competition BMW Smithtown (awesome dealer), and the same day i dropped it off they called me and basically said, yeah were giving you two brand new turbos. I was pretty hyped and im picking the car up tuesday. Been seeing alotta different comments on how it feels when you get it back, keep in mind the car has 58000 miles on it and the clutch was just recently replaced also. Gimme some heads up on how i could have some fun on the drive home lol.

As far as the "new 8yr/82,000 mile warranty i don't know whether they replaced it under my cpo or under that new warranty but like i said, i went in tellng my SA that i thought it might be wastegates and the same day i left they called so i think you all should try....with all stock back on lol
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #112
hotwired78
Lord
Rep
Drives: AW 09 E92 M3

I have wastegate rattle, went into the dealership twice and was told twice that it was normal. Service manager said if it lasts for more than 5 minutes at idle, then he would do something about it... wtf. My point is, my car is under CPO, and if they are willing to sell cars on their lot that sound like this at startup, THEN will I accept it as normal. If that's not the case, then shouldn't they treat my CPO car just like any other CPO car on their lot?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #113
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

My pump just went out on my way to MI... She is in the shop as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #114
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' X7 40i

Took my 07 E92 in to dealership last week for waste gates. They confirmed the rattling and agreed to replace it under extended warranty from settlement. Tech took it for a ride with me to confirm it was wastegates. I get car back and they are telling me it is now misfiring and idling rough. Injectors, spark plugs, and low pressure fuel sensor are malfunctioning and need replacement. $3,000 is what they are asking for. Bunch of no good scam artists. They messed up my car. I had no such issues prior to dropping it off for waste gate fix. Contacted BMWNA about this before I storm back in to dealership and end up making the local news.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #115
Ken_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
Took my 07 E92 in to dealership last week for waste gates. They confirmed the rattling and agreed to replace it under extended warranty from settlement. Tech took it for a ride with me to confirm it was wastegates. I get car back and they are telling me it is now misfiring and idling rough. Injectors, spark plugs, and low pressure fuel sensor are malfunctioning and need replacement. $3,000 is what they are asking for. Bunch of no good scam artists. They messed up my car. I had no such issues prior to dropping it off for waste gate fix. Contacted BMWNA about this before I storm back in to dealership and end up making the local news.
See if you can get BMNA to confirm the extended wastegate warranty while you're on with them. That way you know for sure the dealership is trying to screw you. No one in this thread, myself included, has had any luck getting BMWNA to confirm the extension.
      06-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #116
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_C View Post
See if you can get BMNA to confirm the extended wastegate warranty while you're on with them. That way you know for sure the dealership is trying to screw you. No one in this thread, myself included, has had any luck getting BMWNA to confirm the extension.
I contacted them via e-mail as this was done over the weekend. My dealership stated that the settlement covered my wastegates for 8 years/80k or so. If they are aware why would'nt BMWNA be? I will ask once I get a hold of somebody on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #117
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_C View Post
FYI the wastegate work was done. Can't hear a thing aside from my misfires and my sobbing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #118
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Yes guys the warranty extension is 8/82 on the waste gate components (turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #119
FI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i & e90 328i

i complained about my ish too cpo w/ extended maint w/ ~40k miles. Sound isn't loud but is annoying at start up. They said it was normal. Riiight....

Last edited by FI; 06-05-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #120
HD81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Tony View Post
In my experience, if you are under warranty and take it in for the rattle, they will give you brand new turbos if it's very noticeable as a courtesy. If you are out of warranty and you take it in for the rattle, they *may* replace them ONLY if they find out that in addition to the rattle, the turbos are also not performing well. They will never adjust the actuators or replace just the wastegates. Their procedure is to replace all turbo components.

I was lucky since my car is 5.5 years old with no extended warranty, and I took it in for the wastegate rattle issue. I got a call the next day saying I'll get brand new turbos for free since the old ones were "sufficiently deteriorated". YMMV, but some dealers do know about the extended warranty on the turbos and it doesn't hurt to ask.
This is very true. I bought my 08' e92 335xi as CPO in 8/2010 and just a couple weeks ago, I bought my car into the dealer for the wastegate rattle issue and they told me the procedure was to replace the turbos. They were even supposed to charge me the $50 deductible because it was a "warranty" job, but I sort of argued the fact that it was a known issue which many other n54 owners experienced and I mentioned it happened to a friend of mine and he wasn't charged the $50. Of course the service manager at the stealership told me to contact BMW NA (probably thought I wouldn't) and after I made the same case with NA that I made with the stealership and they said they'd talk to them and the next day, when my SA called me for an update, she said they were waiving the $50 deductible charge. Off-topic but I noticed a slight increase in boost and less lag as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #121
HD81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post
any updates here? I have HORRIBLE wastegate rattling... which my dealer said is normal... I'd like some ammunition to try and get them to replace the turbos
Dude, its not normal. I got mine replaced at ~49k miles on my 08' e92 335xi under my CPO warranty and they even waived the $50 deductible (after I argued of course). I'm not sure whether you have CPO, but even if you don't, they should replace them regardless because this is a known issue with the N54. Its bullshit the way they take advantage of us as owners. Give BMW NA a call if they keep giving you shit and let them know what they told you. I know its a lot of time to spend to argue your case, but its better than paying out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #122
HD81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysour335i View Post
Hey guys, so check this out. I have a 2008 335i 6mt coupe n54. Purchased the car about 8 months ago used with CPO and Extended maintaince plan. Started hearing the heavy rattle dropping down in rpm. Took the car to my dealer, Competition BMW Smithtown (awesome dealer), and the same day i dropped it off they called me and basically said, yeah were giving you two brand new turbos. I was pretty hyped and im picking the car up tuesday. Been seeing alotta different comments on how it feels when you get it back, keep in mind the car has 58000 miles on it and the clutch was just recently replaced also. Gimme some heads up on how i could have some fun on the drive home lol.

As far as the "new 8yr/82,000 mile warranty i don't know whether they replaced it under my cpo or under that new warranty but like i said, i went in tellng my SA that i thought it might be wastegates and the same day i left they called so i think you all should try....with all stock back on lol
I just got mine replaced on my 08' e92 335xi 6MT at ~49k as well for the same issue. You said your clutch was just replaced so I was wondering, did they replace it free under your CPO? And how can you tell whether it was going? This is my first BMW with a manual and I have little knowledge of how to tell when a clutch is going. I'd like to take advantage of my CPO if its covered.

CPO is awesome, its already paid for itself with the turbo replacement!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #123
vereak82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6-spd e92 335i

I have 77k on my 2007 Stock twins and they rattle like hell, I'm gonna put my car back to stock and schedule a appointment
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #124
HD81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired78 View Post
I have wastegate rattle, went into the dealership twice and was told twice that it was normal. Service manager said if it lasts for more than 5 minutes at idle, then he would do something about it... wtf. My point is, my car is under CPO, and if they are willing to sell cars on their lot that sound like this at startup, THEN will I accept it as normal. If that's not the case, then shouldn't they treat my CPO car just like any other CPO car on their lot?
If possible, take it to another dealership. They HAVE to replace your turbos if you have a waste gate rattle. I got mine replaced under the CPO warranty and made them waive the $50 deductible because I argued that it was a known issue with the N54 for a long time with many owners and its unfair to charge a customer for something that wasn't caused by the owner him/herself. If you don't want to take it somewhere else, call BMW NA and argue with them about this. One of the two will have to replace them for you; especially since you have a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #125
E90Tony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD81 View Post
This is very true. I bought my 08' e92 335xi as CPO in 8/2010 and just a couple weeks ago, I bought my car into the dealer for the wastegate rattle issue and they told me the procedure was to replace the turbos. They were even supposed to charge me the $50 deductible because it was a "warranty" job, but I sort of argued the fact that it was a known issue which many other n54 owners experienced and I mentioned it happened to a friend of mine and he wasn't charged the $50. Of course the service manager at the stealership told me to contact BMW NA (probably thought I wouldn't) and after I made the same case with NA that I made with the stealership and they said they'd talk to them and the next day, when my SA called me for an update, she said they were waiving the $50 deductible charge. Off-topic but I noticed a slight increase in boost and less lag as well.
Nice, glad you got it worked out!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #126
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

It's so shitty. Up here in Canada, there is no recall on wastegate rattle!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #127
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335
It's so shitty. Up here in Canada, there is no recall on wastegate rattle!!
It's not a recall, it's an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #128
vereak82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6-spd e92 335i

I called to schedule a a appointment and the SA told me that the waste gate rattle is normal? lol wtf so im gonna call bmw NA and see if there's anything they can do its funny they tell you oh dont worry about the noise its perfectly normal.. wow
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #129
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD81 View Post
If possible, take it to another dealership. They HAVE to replace your turbos if you have a waste gate rattle. I got mine replaced under the CPO warranty and made them waive the $50 deductible because I argued that it was a known issue with the N54 for a long time with many owners and its unfair to charge a customer for something that wasn't caused by the owner him/herself. If you don't want to take it somewhere else, call BMW NA and argue with them about this. One of the two will have to replace them for you; especially since you have a CPO.
Nope. BMW doesn't give a shit about your waste-gate RATTLE. There has to be a loss of boost in the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #130
Ken_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper View Post
Nope. BMW doesn't give a shit about your waste-gate RATTLE. There has to be a loss of boost in the turbo.
+1 to this. Just called and BMWNA finally has the extended warranty listed in their system. Im going to see if I can get mine replaced next week.
      06-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #131
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

I took mine in for excessive wastegate rattle and the repair was declined. They said the car had previously been flagged for aftermarket mods, specifically a piggyback tuner. Some regional BMW NA guy examined the car and denied the claim. They offered to go halfises on the $3000 turbo replacement bill. I declined.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #132
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
I took mine in for excessive wastegate rattle and the repair was declined. They said the car had previously been flagged for aftermarket mods, specifically a piggyback tuner. Some regional BMW NA guy examined the car and denied the claim. They offered to go halfises on the $3000 turbo replacement bill. I declined.
Hmm- I would guess it is standard practice to crack open the ECU cover and check for a piggyback? How do you know if you have been flagged? Seems like kind of an awkward question to bring up at the service desk...
Appreciate 0