E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Just watched American Top Gear

11-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

The best chemistry for this show is strong acid or toxic waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I agree that the first season of the original was pretty weak also, but they have perfected it now. It's like taking a recepie for for a great cake from someone and saying, "fuck it, I'll substitute a couple of these ingredients and then add in this other shit that no one wants and feed it to the American public."

I may just DVR them from now on and fast fwd through the shit just to see the cars. I don't think they are going to show us anything that the other guys haven't though so it may not even be worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
They ripped off every aspect of TG, including the name, which should have been TG USA or something.
Not surprised by this - it's a franchise really. Check out Top Gear in Australia - same thing
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #26
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Just watched episode 1 on my DVR. It seemed like a cheap copy of the real Top Gear. But I will watch it. There aren't that many TV shows I actually like to regularly watch.

At times, the dialog was obviously scripted, sounding like they were reading the words. At other times, the dialog was so bad that it couldn't have been scripted. They should have selected other clips or overdubbed something else.

It may be that in too many ways they are copying Top Gear as if the formula will produce the same result. I tend to think it would be better if the producers made something unique, rather than copy-cat. Yet I still recognize that if it were wholly different, the show would be criticized for not having this segment, or that.

Yeah, it feels like a rip-off, but it is better than most of the trash that I can't bring myself to watch. I will give it a chance. If the producers evolve it quickly into something uniquely interesting, rather than staying on formula, then it could stand on it's own.

Right now, the best thing is that people who don't have BBC America may have the History channel and get to see an entertaining car show.

It is probably best that they have a driver as the other two dufaces would probably wreck some great cars. At least Tanner Foust can drive, even though I don't really like his personna.
      11-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Not surprised by this - it's a franchise really. Check out Top Gear in Australia - same thing
I know, I still don't like it They had a big enough budget though, I think they could have come up with some of their own segments rather than following the TG formula. Now all we're doing is comparing it to the original, and it obviously won't live up to that.
      11-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
I know, I still don't like it They had a big enough budget though, I think they could have come up with some of their own segments rather than following the TG formula. Now all we're doing is comparing it to the original, and it obviously won't live up to that.
I mean I get what your saying but at the same time, most every time I'm watching celebrity in a reasonably priced car, I'm going "who the fuck is this again?"

It would be cool to get some "real" celebrities but obviously for a while that won't happen - not unless the show gains some traction. The challenge portion is really where the host chemistry on the UK show shines through - we'll have to wait and see if the hosting gets better for the US or stays pretty dismal.

It's one episode - FWIW I thought the first episode of Arrested Development sucked ass and it became one of my favorite sitcoms. For the time being I'll stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #29
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

It sucked hard in many aspects, but I will keep watching in hope that it continues to improve throughout the rest of the season.
      11-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #30
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i dont know what they were thinking. you cant remake a already great show. it took Top Gear decades to become what it is today and even still it is one of the most popular shows in the world. BBC america never shows current episodes and that is a bummer as well. If ABC,NBC or someone was willing to pay the BBC money to air the really Top Gear instead of paying royalties for the name im sure they would pull more viewers than the money they wasted making american Top gear.

It was great back when discovery channel used to play top gear back in 2004 and thats how i found out about it and have watch religiously since.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #31
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModProjeKt.com View Post
i dont know what they were thinking. you cant remake a already great show. it took Top Gear decades to become what it is today and even still it is one of the most popular shows in the world. BBC america never shows current episodes and that is a bummer as well. If ABC,NBC or someone was willing to pay the BBC money to air the really Top Gear instead of paying royalties for the name im sure they would pull more viewers than the money they wasted making american Top gear.

It was great back when discovery channel used to play top gear back in 2004 and thats how i found out about it and have watch religiously since.
This. Top Gear has already been made. And they speak English. All you have to do is simply air it on American Television.

I think I could have rescued Top Gear USA... but only if the History channel gave me the freedom to do and say exactly what I wanted on the show...

Here in the States, you simply can't call a car "quintisentially gay" or proclaim that the car comes with "ein fanbelt that will last a 1000 years and a navigation system that will only take you to Poland"...

kind of a shame in a country with the most highly regarded freedom of speech, really....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #32
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModProjeKt.com View Post
i dont know what they were thinking. you cant remake a already great show.
Tell that to American Idol, The Office, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #33
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I watched it last night. I didnt think it was THAT bad. I mean compared to the other automotive shows (or lack of) in the US, its the best one out there. Its definitely not as good as the original top gear, but thats to be expected. Tanner can be annoying, but its still cool to have a professional driver on the show who can actually drive the cars. I love cars and this is a car show, so I'll watch it.

The viper and cobra story was pretty sick though. The way the pilots flew that helicopter was awesome. It was like a video game.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #34
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Yeah, it was a total rip-off. Warehouse setting, 3 wankers, celebrity in a mid-priced car, etc, etc, etc.

It all looked very scripted though....I was not impressed BUT will be recording it to support american car tv shows. We need more....they can only get better. lol

I know who Tanner is, but who are the other two wankers? Do they have any track or racing experience? How the f$ck is a comparision test between three cars even close when two of the guys are fricken retards?

Well, whatever, at least we finally got a car show on american TV. I will continue to watch the BBC for the real deal though.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #35
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
The viper and cobra story was pretty sick though. The way the pilots flew that helicopter was awesome. It was like a video game.
Agreed. The best part of that whole bit was watching the helicopter.

You could see rubber on the ground all over the place from the 50 takes they did, which kinda kills the whole "chase" thing.

Also, where the hell did they get that cheap-ass light set-up for the "missle dectection system". lol. Seriously....that's the best we can do?
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Part of me watches the original TG for the cinematography and photography of the videos packages they show. Very stylized and modern. The USA guys need to work on this as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #37
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I will continue to watch the BBC for the real deal though.
You do realize the BBC version is notoriously scripted as well, right? I agree that it's a better show, but it certainly isn't "real"

And while I agree that the heli chase probably had multiple takes, remember that he was driving the viper around that airport before the challenge initiated...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #38
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i honestly thought it wasn't the worst thing i've ever seen...being said, it wasn't great either. i think adam ferrara is out of place at best, tanner foust is a whiny teenage boy, and whoever the hell the other guy is that i've never heard of is just that. i agree with the person that said top gear UK was crap at first, too, and took time to become what it is. i've watched a lot of the early top gear's myself, and it definitely isn't something that i cared too much for. i'm not not writing off TGA completely just yet, i'll see how it turns out before i completely throw them under the bus. if it turns into the weekly american car expose, then i'll quit watching it. i'm not expecting to see fiat's or renault's etc., but if it becomes the mustang/camaro show, i really will lost interest.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #39
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
^I agree 100%. I hope every episode isnt about american cars as the center piece. It wasnt great, but it wasnt terrible either. It really isnt fair to compare it to the original top gear now because its been on forever and has had time to perfect itself. If anything, compare this episode to the first episode of top gear uk. It being an obvious copy was done on purpose. Didnt the people top gear uk have input or help w the us top gear? I may be wrong, but I thought i heard that. I mean how else could they have copied everything lol.

I agree, Adam Ferrara is annoying as hell and out of place. It's still a show about cool cars, so I'll be watching it each week.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #40
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep

I just watched the fat guy drive on of my dream cars, an Aston, and talk bad about it. I'm sure the Honda he drove to work is nice, but surely an Aston is one of the nicest cars he's ever been in and he has the balls to bad mouth it? I don't know why I'm watching this show. The dialouge is making me ill.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #41
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I just watched the fat guy drive on of my dream cars, an Aston, and talk bad about it.
Rutledge is useless. He kills the show for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #42
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Did any of you watch the episode where the fat guy tries to be funny by calling the british "liars"? That part was very cheesy...many things ONLY work with clarkson and shouldn't be used in TG USA.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #43
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Did any of you watch the episode where the fat guy tries to be funny by calling the british "liars"? That part was very cheesy...many things ONLY work with clarkson and shouldn't be used in TG USA.
yep, that's the one I was talking about. that guy is a douche. I'm going to write the TG guys and beg them to take their name off the show.
Appreciate 0