E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust topic again

06-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Exhaust topic again

I'm married with kids, and live in neighboorhood with neighbors around.

I'd like to enhance my 328i engine sound, but without making it too loud around.

I've. Listened to a bunch of bmw pe clips and it's too much per my opinion.

I care more of how uit sounds inside, than outside. I'd be happy the engine sound engaging as it does inside Mini Cooper S we have, or Honda Prelude I used to own (both stock exhaust), or ZHP I test drove once... But without disturbing neighborhood in the morning.

Also, I'd like it ti be street legal.

I installed Euro air box , but it made 0 difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Have someone chop off your resonator. That sounds like what you want

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Also the closer the tips are to the inside of the bumper the more its heard inside and vice versa
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

OEM BMW Performance exhaust sounds like what your looking for.

EDIT : just read that after you saw some clips you thought it was too loud. I have been running a pe for almost a year now and it still isn't what I would call loud under regular driving loads. When you start revving past 4k then it gets pretty loud.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 MT N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
OEM BMW Performance exhaust sounds like what your looking for.

EDIT : just read that after you saw some clips you thought it was too loud. I have been running a pe for almost a year now and it still isn't what I would call loud under regular driving loads. When you start revving past 4k then it gets pretty loud.
He's right on point. The BMW PE is not loud. I, who did not want a loud/annoying exhaust, was disappointed by the performance exhaust. Not by the sound, but that it was not loud enough. You can not hear the amazing sound from inside the car as much as you can from driving behind it.
Also, the PE is very quiet, basically stock, under 2500 RPM. So not much worry for waking up the neighbors.
For cold start ups, my car is a bit loud in idle, but as soon as I put her in gear and start rolling, you can hear the crickets chirping again. I have a MT, not sure what happens with automatics.
Good luck with your decision.
      06-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
TittoBlunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2013 328i M-Sport

I agree. The PE has an amazing tone and it won't bother your neighbors unless you're blowing through the neighborhood like a mad man. :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
+1 PE

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
FootStick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alfa Romeo Guilia

I had the PE installed last week, and I would say the youtube clips I watched before it was installed exaggerate the volume compared to what it actually sounds like in real life. I didn't tell my wife that it was installed because I wanted to see if she would react to the extra "noise". She didn't even notice, even driving around town with the top down. Obviously it's make enough sound to be noticeable, but it's not loud be any stretch.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #9
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

U all pe followers sound very convincing...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I don't have PE on my car, but I've heard it in person, and honestly, it sounds tasteful. If someone in my neighborhood has it, I wouldn't be upset, as long as they don't WOT it down the street, because then it becomes a safety concern, and I will kick anyone's ass for doing so to protect the kids (including my own) that live on our street.

Check out PE. It's rich, low, but not drone-y. But when you get on the pedal, it has a good tone following it, without sounding rice at all.

I know the G35/G37 is supposed to be the archenemy of the E90 335i owners, but I have to say the coupe's exhaust note under moderate and hard acceleration is quite sexy on those cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, I will, probably, order PE, but install the muffler only first. If that will be not enough, I will procede with midpipe as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel
Ok, I will, probably, order PE, but install the muffler only first. If that will be not enough, I will procede with midpipe as well.
You won't be disappointed.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, since, most likely, to control sound level, I will try to install one part out of PE set, and then, if necessary, the other one, what would be the consensus on which one install first:
- mid. pipe
- muffler

I would prefer to install one that will give most perf. and sound increase alone. For some reason I think this might be the mid. pipe.

I will do the install myself, unless it will be too difficult, so have flexibility to try different combinations.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

+1 BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
just install it in its entirety, if youre easy on the pedal its quiet...if you ring it out melodic.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I've had the PE for like 4 or 5 years now.

At the time, I was shocked that I got myself to spend a grand on a damn cutback!

But, all these years and at least 70,000 miles later, I still LOVE the sound. If I drive the car as if there was local police department car behind me, the car is about as quite as stock.

Driving it the way I like to, it is a tad loud. I definitely get looks from people in my urban/upper end neighborhood because of the very sporting loutish tone of a time gone by. Plus my car is so responsive with the tune, and 3.38 rear end, that it is very hard for me to shift before 3,000 rpm... I love having both driver side windows and sunroof open to hear the full tone of the car. Plus because the throttle is so beautifully responsive, it is hard at times to restrain myself. Combine that with a power output that is easy to exploit in everyday driving (unlike the uber hp cars of today, or even a 335...) it just adds to the highly satisfying experience that this car is.

Somewhat unrelated but relevant to this discussion, we are currently looking for a new car for my better half (we are 35, no kids) and today I test drove a left over 2014 GTI. We will most likely be buying a 2015 GTI because of all of the upgrades, but the 2014 was really a very good solid quick fun car. The ONLY letdown though, was related to the sound of the car. The blown 4 cal was very smooth, torquey and much more responsive that my old 2002 wry wagon, but it just didn't have the sound/throttle response combination that my 330i has that is exponentially enhanced by the BMW PE. It is one of the many factors that has made this car so great that I am not bored or compelled to take on a car loan to 'upgrade' to a new car. The GTI lacked that lively sound that makes a car enjoyable. I was driving on a residential street and I looked down and was going 50 mph and had no idea. The BMW PE gives our cars a sensation of speed. It's awesome.

I know this was a very verbose post, but TRUST ME. The PE is the absolute best blend of sporting, comfortable, powerful, involving sound. It will save you money in the long run by avoiding an unneeded early trade for a different car.
      07-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, received it, installed myself same evening - both - mid-pipe and the muffler.

- the most difficult part is cutting the old exhaust, which, actually, depends on how high you can lift the car... I had very limited clearance in mid-pipe section, which made it difficult and a little scary.

- cutting tool from Harbor Freight works, but breaks. I had to go to the store for the second one.

- I put some exhaust paste under clamps just to make sure it is sealed and there's no leaks.

- took me about 6 hours total, - from arriving home from work - preparing the place, changing, unpacking and inspecting the exhaust, lifting the car, bringing necessary tools, lights, work on the exhaust removal/install itself, ride to Harbor Freight for the second cutting tool, family dinner and complete garage clean-up afterwards. Second time I would spend less time, but, probably not less than 3 hours.

Started the car in the morning (didn't want to do that midnight). First minute or so it idles relatively loud - the way you hear in numerous clips, then goes completely quiet, literally like stock one. Driving with windows up through the neighborhood - you hear it inside only when you try to accelerate intensively. Windows down - same thing, not very loud. Freeway - sound level same as stock. You have to downshift and accelerate to realize you have performance exhaust.

So, I'm happy it can be quiet when necessary and loud on demand. Reminds me my Honda Prelude with VTEC - it all depends where you are in terms of RPMs and throttle position. I would prefer just a little more engine sound on the inside when doing regular driving, but I guess for that one should do something in the engine bay, like intake or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Ok, received it, installed myself same evening - both - mid-pipe and the muffler.

- the most difficult part is cutting the old exhaust, which, actually, depends on how high you can lift the car... I had very limited clearance in mid-pipe section, which made it difficult and a little scary.

- cutting tool from Harbor Freight works, but breaks. I had to go to the store for the second one.

- I put some exhaust paste under clamps just to make sure it is sealed and there's no leaks.

- took me about 6 hours total, - from arriving home from work - preparing the place, changing, unpacking and inspecting the exhaust, lifting the car, bringing necessary tools, lights, work on the exhaust removal/install itself, ride to Harbor Freight for the second cutting tool, family dinner and complete garage clean-up afterwards. Second time I would spend less time, but, probably not less than 3 hours.

Started the car in the morning (didn't want to do that midnight). First minute or so it idles relatively loud - the way you hear in numerous clips, then goes completely quiet, literally like stock one. Driving with windows up through the neighborhood - you hear it inside only when you try to accelerate intensively. Windows down - same thing, not very loud. Freeway - sound level same as stock. You have to downshift and accelerate to realize you have performance exhaust.

So, I'm happy it can be quiet when necessary and loud on demand. Reminds me my Honda Prelude with VTEC - it all depends where you are in terms of RPMs and throttle position. I would prefer just a little more engine sound on the inside when doing regular driving, but I guess for that one should do something in the engine bay, like intake or something.
Awesome! It's definitely not loud by any means. If you do want more sound, there is the option to delete the secondary cats. This makes it loud enough to where you can enjoy all the sounds the PE has to offer and gets you some more power as well. It is still easy to forget you have an exhaust & it is just as quiet in the low RPM's. Enjoy your new exhaust!
      07-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

I'm curious, has anyone got experience with both the PE and, for specific example, a GTI? The GTI exhaust note isn't AT ALL what I'd call loud. It's not camry-quiet, but it's not even really noticeable. Actually, I often think my roommate's car sounds quieter at a stop than mine. The thing is, it's got a low rumble to it especially when it's coming up the driveway that says "I'm a cool car. I'm not a racecar, but I'm a cool car." My car's exhaust says "I'm carrying your spoiled 17 year old daughter."

If anyone's heard all three (stock 328, PE, and GTI), I'd love to hear opinions of one vs the next. I hate the idea of spending a grand on a total vanity mod, but a muffler delete I think would be too loud and bring too much drone.
      07-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I'm curious, has anyone got experience with both the PE and, for specific example, a GTI? The GTI exhaust note isn't AT ALL what I'd call loud. It's not camry-quiet, but it's not even really noticeable. Actually, I often think my roommate's car sounds quieter at a stop than mine. The thing is, it's got a low rumble to it especially when it's coming up the driveway that says "I'm a cool car. I'm not a racecar, but I'm a cool car." My car's exhaust says "I'm carrying your spoiled 17 year old daughter."

If anyone's heard all three (stock 328, PE, and GTI), I'd love to hear opinions of one vs the next. I hate the idea of spending a grand on a total vanity mod, but a muffler delete I think would be too loud and bring too much drone.
Looks like you're looking for the second cat delete + resonator delete with the stock muffler.

More sound, more power, and very affordable option. I have yet to hear this setup in person.
      07-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Drive View Post
Looks like you're looking for the second cat delete + resonator delete with the stock muffler.

More sound, more power, and very affordable option. I have yet to hear this setup in person.
Does the secondary cat delete really do all that much? I'm not particularly interested in axing it for a bunch of reasons.
      07-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Does the secondary cat delete really do all that much? I'm not particularly interested in axing it for a bunch of reasons.
definitely makes the car gurgle and pop more, changes the tone too

Appreciate 0