E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Newbie...First Winter ...Prep for Snow

11-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Snow tires w/ all wheel drive and you'll never know you're on a slippery surface at all with the DTC on these cars.

I already love my snow tires on my RWD 325. They help in the temperature too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
we're getting off topic here.

i would look to get something even more narrow if you are to drive in a lot of snow, a 205/50/17 would be better than a 225/45/17
Not substantially. And a size 50 may not fit properly by being too tall. The extra 1" width of snow tire biting into the snow, at these widths, offsets any weight-distribution anomalies you would see between a 205-to-225 width.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

Please, stop providing "advice" to people here, lest they may actually think you know WTF you're talking about. Particularly the part where you imply that understeer is less safe than oversteer in a situation where traction is lost.

You also clearly haven't the slightest idea how power transfer in an AWD vehicle (in particular XDrive) operates. Do some reading, and save yourself further public embarrassment, like where you just told someone 1 wheel of action in a slip condition is better than 4, just because it has a snow tire on it.

yikes. You're the reason the internet is a dangerous place to find advice.
When did I say Oversteer was better?

Dude you are a complete moron. I said you lose steering traction by driving the front wheels.

AWD is not a safety thing. Get over it. I love your name though. AWD lets you get going - that's it. Doesn't help you turn, doesn't help you stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Not substantially. And a size 50 may not fit properly by being too tall. The extra 1" width of snow tire biting into the snow, at these widths, offsets any weight-distribution anomalies you would see between a 205-to-225 width.
its only .3% taller.
      11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
its only .3% taller.
But -9% narrower. Why loose almost 10% of your grip width.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
But -9% narrower. Why loose almost 10% of your grip width.
skinny tires cut through the snow. wider is better for summer, but not for winter.
      11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
skinny tires cut through the snow. wider is better for summer, but not for winter.
Yes, if you put bicycle tires on your car, you might notice traction from the weight distribution. But with 1" wider tires, you'll see more grip than you lose from width.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #30
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Skinnier is better to a point, 225 ls a fine balance, as there usually Isn't Snow down ALL the time
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #31
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
When did I say Oversteer was better?

Dude you are a complete moron. I said you lose steering traction by driving the front wheels.

AWD is not a safety thing. Get over it. I love your name though. AWD lets you get going - that's it. Doesn't help you turn, doesn't help you stop.
Good post' Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

congrats on the new ride
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Congrats on your new ride, buddy. Tire rack has some good comparisons for you to take a look at (including comparisons of AWD cars with AS tires vs. AWD with Winter in snow/ice.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to carefully make it through the season on all season tires. People do it every year. However, it only takes one emergency instance in which you needed to stop 3 feet shorter or turn 4 feet further to the left/right for you to kiss the rubber that winter tires put to the road. It basically just comes down to the amount of risk you are wanting to avert/allow in your daily commute.

Personally, I put winter performance tires on all of my AWD and RWD (I don't buy FWD, but I'd put them there too) vehicles ever since a scary braking scenario in an AWD with all-seasons. The thing to remember (and what I think the posters above we're arguing about) is that the advanced drive logic and electronic torque vectoring of modern AWD vehicles is designed for stable acceleration and deceleration-forward and backward motion (think accellerating or braking through a turn, in a straight, etc). However, your grip (which allows these systems to do what they need to do) is limited by the vehicles tires. All cars (regardless of their potential acceleration/deceleration capabilities) are essentially limited to those four little patches of rubber underneath them (be they 4x4, AWD, RWD, FWD, open differential, LSD, etc, etc.).

I'd say no go on the car cover several mentioned above. You are probably more likely to cause damage than to prevent it.

If you drive through the carwash, make sure it is touch less and pay for the undercarriage wash. Just keep in mind that these will still leave behind a film of grime, so doing an old fashioned wash when weather permits is a definite go. Finally a good pre-season cleaning & wax will do wonders for preventing paint damage.

Hope this is somehow helpful (albeit wordy). Congrats on your dream car!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #34
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig
congrats on the new ride
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Congrats on your new ride, buddy. Tire rack has some good comparisons for you to take a look at (including comparisons of AWD cars with AS tires vs. AWD with Winter in snow/ice.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to carefully make it through the season on all season tires. People do it every year. However, it only takes one emergency instance in which you needed to stop 3 feet shorter or turn 4 feet further to the left/right for you to kiss the rubber that winter tires put to the road. It basically just comes down to the amount of risk you are wanting to avert/allow in your daily commute.

Personally, I put winter performance tires on all of my AWD and RWD (I don't buy FWD, but I'd put them there too) vehicles ever since a scary braking scenario in an AWD with all-seasons. The thing to remember (and what I think the posters above we're arguing about) is that the advanced drive logic and electronic torque vectoring of modern AWD vehicles is designed for stable acceleration and deceleration-forward and backward motion (think accellerating or braking through a turn, in a straight, etc). However, your grip (which allows these systems to do what they need to do) is limited by the vehicles tires. All cars (regardless of their potential acceleration/deceleration capabilities) are essentially limited to those four little patches of rubber underneath them (be they 4x4, AWD, RWD, FWD, open differential, LSD, etc, etc.).

I'd say no go on the car cover several mentioned above. You are probably more likely to cause damage than to prevent it.

If you drive through the carwash, make sure it is touch less and pay for the undercarriage wash. Just keep in mind that these will still leave behind a film of grime, so doing an old fashioned wash when weather permits is a definite go. Finally a good pre-season cleaning & wax will do wonders for preventing paint damage.

Hope this is somehow helpful (albeit wordy). Congrats on your dream car!
Yes it was very helpful. I decided to leave the car cover alone. I just came home from a 7 day vacation and my car needed serious cleaning since it rained and snowed while I was gone.

I went through a touchless car wash and used a clay bar after . Glad to say she looks great. I did a pretty good job for a girl
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonyWheels View Post
Yes it was very helpful. I decided to leave the car cover alone. I just came home from a 7 day vacation and my car needed serious cleaning since it rained and snowed while I was gone.

I went through a touchless car wash and used a clay bar after . Glad to say she looks great. I did a pretty good job for a girl
hope you waxed it after claying.. that removes all the wax.