E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > xi transmission mount (replacement)

10-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
bimmerhead2023
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3, 2018 M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550xi  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
2023 BMW G80 M3  [10.00]
xi transmission mount (replacement)

has anyone done (or know how to do) an xi/awd transmission mount replacement? i've never done one, but need to. i'm getting bad drivetrain/gear lash, especially at low gears. it's at its worst when riding, and then unloading, the clutch in 1st gear at low speeds, such as driving through a parking lot. never happens from 4th to 5th gear, etc.

anyways... i can't find anything diy-type info online about replacing these tranny mounts. actually, as i just found out, the xi uses a different mount from the non-awd models. the only useful info i've found so far is a technical drawing from a parts manual here.

can anyone help? any photos, helpful info, sage advice (such as "don't attempt this"), etc? thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Zink330xi
Napoleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: the TiAg Beast

I've not seen one yet. Will be looking forward to see if anyone has attempted. I get the same....
      10-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Have you checked the Bentley Guide Manual for the E90/ E92? It is a repair book on almost everything in these cars.

It was released earlier this month. I can check it out tomorrow in my copy.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Dubs335
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi Coupe Black

hey, i have the same problem in my 335xi, just wondering if you sloved you problem and can offer and advice?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
awestland
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Wondering if anyone's done this yet? I'm beginning to suspect the same issue on my 330xi. Definitely feels like the transmission is loose.

The part's cost doesn't look too bad. I wonder how accessible the mount is. Maybe this weekend I'll see if I can jack it up and see what it'd look like to replace it.

I've done mounts on other car's before but there are always a few that are in such a place that they're almost impossible to get to without pulling the engine or dropping the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
awestland
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I threw the car up on stands this past weekend and tracked down all the mounts. There are two engine mounts (passenger and driver) and a transmission mount. My transmission mount seemed perfect but the driver's side engine mount seemed to have a lot of play in it but nothing seemed ripped or worn. I'm wondering if my 1-2 drivetrain lash is coming from something else. Either way, without an engine hoist, I think it'd be almost impossible to change.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
awestland
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took the car into BMW today to investigate and they said everything is fine. All mounts and the flex disc were fine. There's still so much drive train lash in between gear changes though. It feels like the transmission is loose.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If you are talking about the mount that is located of the transfer case, it's pretty easy to replace. Place your jack under the tranny (being careful not to jack it up too much or damage tranny). You just want to hold the tranny in place while you remove the mount. There are a few screws that attach ot teh mount that also attach to a heat shield. Remove those. And you may have to loosen the exhaust mounts (but you don't need to remove exhaust). I found it is easier to remove the large bolt (or at least loosen it a lot) on the rubber bushing first. Then remove the six bolts that hold the mount on. That's it. To put it back on, I think Bentley's says the big bolt is something like 50 ft/lbs, which seems like a lot, and the six bolts are 15 ft/lbs I think. Install in reverse order as removed. The only tough part is getting that big bolt through the rubber bushing as the exhaust (IIRC) gets in the way, but you can wiggle it around a bit to get it in. You may have to loosen the exhaust mounts a bit, depends on car.

But, it's easy and quick to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
awestland
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
If you are talking about the mount that is located of the transfer case, it's pretty easy to replace. Place your jack under the tranny (being careful not to jack it up too much or damage tranny). You just want to hold the tranny in place while you remove the mount. There are a few screws that attach ot teh mount that also attach to a heat shield. Remove those. And you may have to loosen the exhaust mounts (but you don't need to remove exhaust). I found it is easier to remove the large bolt (or at least loosen it a lot) on the rubber bushing first. Then remove the six bolts that hold the mount on. That's it. To put it back on, I think Bentley's says the big bolt is something like 50 ft/lbs, which seems like a lot, and the six bolts are 15 ft/lbs I think. Install in reverse order as removed. The only tough part is getting that big bolt through the rubber bushing as the exhaust (IIRC) gets in the way, but you can wiggle it around a bit to get it in. You may have to loosen the exhaust mounts a bit, depends on car.

But, it's easy and quick to do.
Did you change this mount? Did it help? The BMW techs said all my mounts are fine but the 1-2 shifts still feel like there's way too much play. I know something under there is more loose than it's supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
JelloXI
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330XI

the UUC red tranny mounts, does that fit on our cars? or do we only have the option of OEM tranny mount.

meaning, do we still have the two tranny mounts like everyone else and ALSO an additional transfercase mount?

or just the Transfer case mount instead of the two regular tranny mounts?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Yeah we have a transfer case mount, i had to change mine recently somehow it cracked...See my thread for the pic.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
JelloXI
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi
Yeah we have a transfer case mount, i had to change mine recently somehow it cracked...See my thread for the pic.
Can u send a link to your thread lol I can't can't access from phone for some reason lol
Appreciate 0