E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Plug & Play Sirius in Console Sunglass Holder

12-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

DIY - Plug & Play Sirius in Console Sunglass Holder

I have seen several similar posts regarding installation of the P&P Sirius receiver into the optional sunglass holder. A slightly different variation was used that allows the sunglass holder lid to fully close and relocates the 12V socket lost from the ashtray.

Since the procedure for replacing the ashtray with sunglass holder is already well documented in the DIY forum I will skip over any of those steps in my explanation. Here is a link to the instructions - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7049. I purchased the sunglass holder from Bavarian Autosport for $21.95. Total cost was well under $100, which included cables and the 12V socket. I already owned the receiver. Sure beats the $700 OEM install and offers better operability with the memory function.

My E92 has the SAT prep, so the install involves tapping into the sharkfin mounted sirius antenna. DIY instructions for doing this are well documented in the forum (here is one instance - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40594). I have the rear seat center console and was able to nicely route the wire between the rear seat and center console then up under the front seat center console to the installation area.

Step 1: Remove circuit board from plug & play dock.

Step 2: Build support platform for the radio (I happened to use the Starmate 4). The platform construction was made of a soft wood, like balsa. It was cut to support the radio while ensuring that the circuit board connections would be elevated from the base and the lid would still close. I used epoxy to assemble the base, which was later epoxied into the base of the sunglass holder (with rubber tray removed).

Step 3: Cut hole for circuit board connection. I aligned the radio in the sunglass holder atop the support base, then estimated the area needed for the board. The cut was made using a dremel with cutoff attachment.

Step 4: Expoxy the radio onto the support base, while being sure to attach the circuit board during cure.

Step 5: Optional - when wiring the unit into my car, I chose to take the (2) led lights from the ashtray assembly and mount them to the sunglass tray. I saw this process in the sunglass holder DIY. IMO this might not have been worth the effort as the backlight is barely noticeable at night. Unfortunately I lost the photo showing these installed. I drilled holes below the circuit board area and mounted them with epoxy.

Step 6: Route the old 12V wires from the old ashtray outlet to the mounting location. I chose drivers side.

Step 7: Route AUX and sirius power cables into center console storage area through tunnel between mounting area in the console.
Attached Images

Last edited by pkirk; 12-22-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Flyer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92xi

Very nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

Well done.
What is Starmate IV?
Currently my XM receiver is hanging onto a bracket I actually purchased from a manufacturer that will go unnamed due to its being a real pos.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall41 View Post
Well done.
What is Starmate IV?
Currently my XM receiver is hanging onto a bracket I actually purchased from a manufacturer that will go unnamed due to its being a real pos.
Starmate 4 is sirius tuner. Google it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Just used this for inspiration and installed a Starmate 5 on my '07 with Sat Prep. Activated online and did 50 channel select. Less than 30 minutes and $150.

BPM = Epic win.
      01-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellfish View Post
Just used this for inspiration and installed a Starmate 5 on my '07 with Sat Prep. Activated online and did 50 channel select. Less than 30 minutes and $150.

BPM = Epic win.
Nice! Would love to see a photo.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Pics from the HTC Liberty...

Currently it is only being held in by the shape of the tray but I plan to put a few pieces of moulding tape or velcro on to keep it in place. I'll give the remote a go but I feel weird using it since I can easily reach the buttons. I'm sure the radio will spend 99% of the time on BPM anyway.

Also, terrestrial repeaters are awesome. Full bars and 3/4 satellite in the garage.

Starmate 5 - $100 (Amazon)
25ft antenna cable - $25 (Amazon)
Spectacles tray - $19 (Tischer)
      02-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Boomer6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

This is what I plan on doing with my car in the upcoming month. Perfect DIY! thought I was going to be the first person to do this but happy to know it has been done before!

Do you think this mod will also work for the Starmate 8?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
MUlrich07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 04 BMW 325Ci

Trying to figure out "step 6" is there a reason you mounted it outside aside from having a cig lighter outlet? Could you in theory leave it be inside the console?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUlrich07 View Post
Trying to figure out "step 6" is there a reason you mounted it outside aside from having a cig lighter outlet? Could you in theory leave it be inside the console?
No need to relocate the outlet unless you want to. I wanted easy access for charging my phone.
Appreciate 0