E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bye Halogens | Hello Projectors

02-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Bye Halogens | Hello Projectors

Awhile back i made a thread trying to get advice on why my low beams would not turn on. I ran into two problems. First, the pins on the headlights were not sticking out far enough to contact the plug even though all the other lights were working. Second, the wires connecting from the ballast to the d2s bulb was bad. One side would come on but the other wouldnt. I thought i had a bad bulb, ballast...etc. Finally, after countless hours and patience I now have AEs and projectors.

I ordered some depo projectors off ebay. You can see what they looked like when i got them in the thread above. I replaced the halogen projectors that came originally with OEM Mercedes e55 projectors with 5000k D2S bulbs. I replaced the CCFLs with LEDs from Superbrightleds.

Also dont mind the messed up bumper, missing kidney grilles, or dirty car. A truck with a hitch backed into me a few weeks back. But in the near future i will be upgrading to the m3 rep bumper.

So please let me know what you think.

Lowbeams are off but the camera made the lens green

Thanks for looking!
      02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Lolitskasey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black 325xi

Looks good, I like the rack. Haha
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
diplomat128
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

I am impressed! Good job on the retrofit... E55 has amazing high beam
      02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
.fLip.
no more coupe :(
Rep
Drives: e90

looks great!

was the project just a swap out affair or did you have to do cutting/mounting etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolitskasey View Post
Looks good, I like the rack. Haha
Thanks! Its in winter mode right now but its about to come off here in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat128 View Post
I am impressed! Good job on the retrofit... E55 has amazing high beam
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .fLip. View Post
looks great!

was the project just a swap out affair or did you have to do cutting/mounting etc?
Thank you!
It pretty much was just swapping out everything that i wanted. I didnt have to any cutting. The projector lense itself was a swap as well. They looked identical to each other. I didnt power them when i got it see what cut off was going to look like but it was cheap halogen. The one on the left was is the halogen and the one on the right is OEM D2S.
      02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
.fLip.
no more coupe :(
Rep
Drives: e90

awesome. glad it worked out for u.

which angel eye kit did you order off superbright?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .fLip. View Post
awesome. glad it worked out for u.

which angel eye kit did you order off superbright?
Thank you. I just bought the LED angel eyes headlight accent SMD. 90mm and 120mm. Like i said i think they may be a tad bit too small. Maybe ill upgraded them down the road. But for now they will do.
      02-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Wow, did you know the Hella E55 mounting points were basically exactly the same as the depo projector bowl or was it pure luck?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Wow, did you know the Hella E55 mounting points were basically exactly the same as the depo projector bowl or was it pure luck?
Strictly pure luck! Ill post my beam pattern hopefully here in a few days. Im in the middle of packing my stuff up.
      02-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

looks good man! Glad that your mounting points were the same as Depo halogen projectors. When i retrofitted my morimotos i had to make my own brackets.

EDIT:

Also what did you use to seal your headlights with? My depos once in awhile gets condensation durring heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
looks good man! Glad that your mounting points were the same as Depo halogen projectors. When i retrofitted my morimotos i had to make my own brackets.

EDIT:

Also what did you use to seal your headlights with? My depos once in awhile gets condensation durring heavy rain.
Thank you! I got pretty lucky with my projectors. I used OCI butyl rubber glue from the retrofitsource. Ill have to wash my car in the next few days. Ill let you know how they do.

Last edited by ZhengHai; 02-26-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Lolitskasey
Private First Class
Rep

Haha everyday in alaska is winter mode. I wish I still had my bmw I had to sell it so I can tow my snowmobile. I am planning on buying a e30 m3 for the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha everyday in alaska is winter mode. I wish I still had my bmw I had to sell it so I can tow my snowmobile. I am planning on buying a e30 m3 for the summer.
True story ha. Too bad we never met up. Hopefully she went to a good owner. I wont be here this summer to see your e30 m3 but definitely best of luck.
      02-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Lolitskasey
Private First Class
Rep

Haha yeah she went to another BMW lover. He keeps me updated on mods it looks really good since he has had it. Your leaving the beautiful state of alaska?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhengHai View Post
Strictly pure luck! Ill post my beam pattern hopefully here in a few days. Im in the middle of packing my stuff up.
That's awesome!

Your output will probably be better than those of us with OEM HID.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
ZhengHai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
EDIT:

I just washed my car today and i got some fog inside my headlights. No water tho. I think the back covers are not sealed properly.

Quote:
Haha yeah she went to another BMW lover. He keeps me updated on mods it looks really good since he has had it. Your leaving the beautiful state of alaska?
Thats good. Glad your cars in good hands. Is it still in Alaska? Unfortunately i am. Ill be going to socal lol and im pretty stoked actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
That's awesome!

Your output will probably be better than those of us with OEM HID.
I could see a lot better with my halogen setup but since i've never seen OEM before i cant tell if mine have a better output.