E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 HIFI Aftermarket Headunit Wiring Diagram

03-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Ah well that could definitely cause the issue. I used the new ASWC-1 with micro USB connector for my install and it works great.
      03-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #24
Awharton
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

Thanks for the post - really helpful in assisting with my aftermarket amp upgrade I have planned.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
soupey
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Tried a new unit updated with the latest software...still can't get it to work!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
This is so much more helpful info than I've found in other threads, and nicely matches up with the various pieces I've already purchased (head unit, aswc-1, metra harness, high/low level converter)

I have an e91 with HIFI, Assist, Bluetooth, and PDC.

I understand that PDC is handled by the factory head unit, and will stop functioning. Also that removing the factory head unit will break assist and bluetooth, and likely trigger a code for assist/sos failure.

Have you dealt with any of those aspects? Did you do this relocate-to-trunk thing with the factory head unit? I have no interest in doing that unless it is required (especially since I don't have a "trunk" per say in my wagon.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep

Soupey, I have mine wired up exactly like the diagram I made and it works great and others have verified that theirs work so your issue does not sound normal. It's strange that it would work differently for you... Did you solder your connections or crimp? If you crimped I would definitely double check those connections.

Vilord, I did not have assist or bluetooth so I did not have the SOS code. I also did not have PDC. Installing a rear camera will make up for that though (at least for backing up). The SOS error codes can be coded out. I decided against relocating the oem headunit to the trunk because A) I didn't have any error codes and B) I think that the door and seatbelt chimes are annoying.

One wire I still have not located and would like to is the vehicle speed sensor wire (VSS). I may go try to find that this weekend.

Last edited by gte460z; 05-10-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
so all you've lost is the chimes? hmm. i really don't care much for chimes either, and i can code out SOS. If I do that I'll post up here. I'd love to re-use the factory BT microphone with my new head unit, but wire diagrams aren't terribly clear on the subject... hmm...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep

As far as I know you can't reuse the oem BT mic. I was able to hide my aftermarket one up near the rear view mirror stalk, it actually looks great.
      05-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Well, can't is a strong word

there are a pile of different types of microphones, but small size and omnidirectional limit it to likely be a condenser mic, most likely electret just like what it used by my pioneer. The factors of importance are finding where the wires go, which wire is which, and what the base voltage is (if the bmw mic is expecting 3v and the pioneer spits out 5, it might work, or it might spontaneously combust...). And then just testing it out!

i'll probably start with the pioneer mic since i have very limited free time between now and when i have to drive to delaware, and working nav on the pioneer is more important than a perfectly clean install with factory components
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep

I agree, can't was the wrong word. I suspect that the OEM bluetooth mic has noise and echo cancellation electronics in/near the mic with a proprietary communication interface like most BMW parts. If this is the case then it would be difficult to reuse the OEM mic without removing this functionality. If it is in fact just a simple mic expecting a bias voltage then it would be a lot easier like you are saying.
      05-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #32
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Well, got everything hooked up like you suggested, which got me about 99% of the way there

I'm missing an illumination wire, which seems to be pin 14 in the harness, going to try that tomorrow.
Also, the 12v switched that comes off the cigarette lighter seems to be an "on" position wire, rather than "acc", i.e. it needs a double press of on/off in my comfort access car. Acc would be like just putting in the key on non-CA cars... i'll keep digging around for one of those...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #33
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep

A true 12V ACC can be tapped from the fuse box. I found a couple when I was looking for the always live 12V. I don't remember exactly which ones but I am sure a quick search can net you a couple. I used the cigarette lighter power for switched power because I don't ever listen to the radio with the engine off.
      05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
awesome thanks, i'll do some digging and see if the auto parts store has another fuse tap like what came with my metra harness.

for constant 12 i threw a 10a fuse into the empty spot near the top you'd highlighted (my '07 328 e91 was close enough). The locking circuits already are a little wonky with the high resistance on the door actuators, so I wanted to leave them alone.

i'll take a picture when i figure out which one i use.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #35
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Will the AWSC allow the BT steering wheel button to operate the BT for the aftermarket HU??

And if you have factory Sirius radio, will it still function through an aftermarket HU??
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #36
soupey
Rep

haha i feel like an idiot, i drove an honda and acura before as my DD, the BMW is my winter car (live up in calgary AB where the winter's aren't Audi TT friendly).

I only had the car for a few weeks before pulling the OEM deck and didn't realize that the volume control is on the opposite side of the steering wheel in both of the cars, so here i was tapping the track up button instead of the volume up. feel so stupid. all is working now. I don't have OEM bluetooth but with the AWSC I managed to gainn BT buttons working with the aftermarket pioneer answer and hangup buttons. The only button that the unit could not detect was the one with a circular arrow (guessing it's a repeat or scan button).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
awesome thanks, i'll do some digging and see if the auto parts store has another fuse tap like what came with my metra harness.

for constant 12 i threw a 10a fuse into the empty spot near the top you'd highlighted (my '07 328 e91 was close enough). The locking circuits already are a little wonky with the high resistance on the door actuators, so I wanted to leave them alone.

i'll take a picture when i figure out which one i use.
For those of you hunting through the fuse box for acc and 12V sources, be very careful, I thought I found a +12v in an empty fuse spot and it worked for a day or two...then it started throwing codes until the car went into some kind of safety lockdown and the car was immobilized...had to get it towed and get the ECU reset. Not a fun day at all. I ended up using the cigarrette lighter for ACC, and wired a fused 12v connection directly to the battery to power the deck. Kinda wish I had an accessory wire that would remain on until the car is locked or a door is opened...there's times when Im on a call and forget that I get disconnected the second i switch the engine off . I'll live with the functionality I have for now though.

Thanks again for all the help! im thinking the next little thing i might do is add a 3rd amp for the underseat woofers (currently have a 5ch running all 4 stock speakers and the underseat midbass, and 1 2ch amp driving 2 10's in the back). The OEM deck used to make the midbass woofers sound MUCH better (guessing the OEM deck cranked up the low end by default vs the aftermarket which is much more level)...That or I'll look into another 5ch amp that can bump up the low end a little more for the underseat woofers... also picked up a budget kicker component set - hoping it'll fit into the front 4" spots with the stock tweeter locations...

Last edited by soupey; 05-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: added a lil bit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #37
soupey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Will the AWSC allow the BT steering wheel button to operate the BT for the aftermarket HU??

And if you have factory Sirius radio, will it still function through an aftermarket HU??
yes BT control can be saved provided you have a supported aftermarket deck that has compatible BT controls (sometimes you have to custom map the keys to your deck to control the answer/hang up keys - i had to do it with my pioneer, but it's totally possible to do it).

AFAIK...The factory sirius will be disconnected with any aftermarket deck.

Last edited by soupey; 05-15-2013 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #38
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
i have the aswc-1 with my pioneer... volume up/down and tune up/down work, but all the other buttons just turn on and off "attenuate", and the custom mapping function just doesn't do anything... i guess i'll try to reset it again or something.

the button with the arrows in a circle is for turning on and off recirculate mode for the automatic hvac unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #39
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupey View Post
yes BT control can be saved provided you have a supported aftermarket deck that has compatible BT controls (sometimes you have to custom map the keys to your deck to control the answer/hang up keys - i had to do it with my pioneer, but it's totally possible to do it).

AFAIK...The factory sirius will be disconnected with any aftermarket deck.
That's great news. I guess I will put off looking for a Sirius Tuner, and just go with a full aftermarket set up.

Guess if I have any issues mapping the buttons I can just pop down to Calgary and have you help me out. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #40
soupey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
i have the aswc-1 with my pioneer... volume up/down and tune up/down work, but all the other buttons just turn on and off "attenuate", and the custom mapping function just doesn't do anything... i guess i'll try to reset it again or something.

the button with the arrows in a circle is for turning on and off recirculate mode for the automatic hvac unit.
reset it. my arrow-circle key is the only one i couldnt get working...the AWSC doesn't flash when i push it... the other one above it changes the receiver source....

on the left side, tel key hangs up the phone, the speech key answers the phone. (had to custom map those two, it took a little trial and error to get it to work)...couldn't get the two functions to work with a single button.

*not my car/pic... just for reference
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
well... the pioneer had to go because i just couldn't deal with all the problems it had unrelated to installation in my car. I have a Parrot Asteroid Smart now instead, and I love it!
But... if I connect the amplified outputs of the asteroid to the audio input feeds, it is far too loud.
If I connect the RCA jack outputs to the audio input feeds, it sounds completely wrong... balanced vs. unbalanced signal?

I'm going to go back to the amplified outputs feeding a cheap high/low level converter... quality will suffer some, but at least it will sound "right"
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #42
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
And that worked wondrously.
And the ASWC-1 doesn't work *at all* with the parrot. darn.... i guess i'll be ordering some connects2 kit from the UK.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #43
gte460z
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupey View Post
on the left side, tel key hangs up the phone, the speech key answers the phone. (had to custom map those two, it took a little trial and error to get it to work)...couldn't get the two functions to work with a single button.
That's exactly what I did for my phone buttons!

Vilord, As you already stated, the asteroid uses a UNIKA interface which the ASWC does not support. I have been waiting for an android headunit and was thinking about the Asteroid but the lack of HD radio turned me off. Maybe the next gen android headunits will have it and support the ASWC.
      05-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #44
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
aswc is going back to the amazons, ordering a cthbm01 from the UK which supports asteroid, steering wheel controls and parking assist *and* proper 12V switched (unless the new connects 'infodapter' is close enough in price as that would give me visual parking assist too)
Appreciate 0