E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbo leak? Crankcase breather leak?? Help! M57 330d

10-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Turbo leak? Crankcase breather leak?? Help! M57 330d

So trying to chase down an oil leak...so far changed the common red intercooler flex pipe which had oil seeping through. But the oil is in the turbo intake hose after the MAF too. That also has the crankcase breather hose connected to it and there is a thick coating of fresh oil from that breather into the main turbo intake.

At first I thought is it my turbo on its way? There is some play in the compressor turbine but what are the limits? Also, why am I getting what seems to be excess oil through the breather? I've looked into this and doesn't seem to be an issue with the breather itself. It's the rubber diaphragm type and seems to in good working order.

I just don't understand what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kk9oqZmmLn1s9k3z7

This shows the play in the compressor shaft.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

I’m by no means anywhere near a turbo expert but that play looks alamingly excessive to me. The turbo is a very precise thing and what looks like a good couple of mm lateral movement can’t be right can it? As there is an oil feed to it I would guess you’ve found the problem yourself. Oil could be passing the seals on the turbine shaft. Do you get blueish coloured smoke out the exhaust?

As for the crankcase breather if that’s what you mean by breather. My cars the same age as yours and when I first bought it it was one of the first things I went to service as I know they get overlooked. I had an E39 530d which has the same engine years ago and swapped the ‘bog roll’ filter for the later vortex type. On opening the lid on my E92 I found it empty!! I googled this and came to the conclusion these later M57’s didn’t have any sort of filter/diaphragm at all, just an empty housing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:44 AM   #4
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
I'm by no means anywhere near a turbo expert but that play looks alamingly excessive to me. The turbo is a very precise thing and what looks like a good couple of mm lateral movement can't be right can it? As there is an oil feed to it I would guess you've found the problem yourself. Oil could be passing the seals on the turbine shaft. Do you get blueish coloured smoke out the exhaust?

As for the crankcase breather if that's what you mean by breather. My cars the same age as yours and when I first bought it it was one of the first things I went to service as I know they get overlooked. I had an E39 530d which has the same engine years ago and swapped the 'bog roll' filter for the later vortex type. On opening the lid on my E92 I found it empty!! I googled this and came to the conclusion these later M57's didn't have any sort of filter/diaphragm at all, just an empty housing.
Yes blue smoke sometimes. Yeah thinking the worst I might just need to get this repaired. You're right and after speaking to a few people they've all said the play shouldn't be more than a few tenths of a mm either side.

Did you replace with a vortex style or just kept it empty? With regards to crankcase breather.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

So, the E90 crankcase breather has part number 11127794597 and is the empty one with just the red diaphragm on the air side. Part number 11127799225 is the vortex style one which was on the E46 and also E60 from the looks of it. I am planning on installing the latter one instead and then monitor the oil leak and see how it goes from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

I just closed it back up empty after googling it and finding M57’s from thing era didn’t have a filter. I’m wondering now whether that’s right or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #7
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

I think I read this post. Hope the link works.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996222
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I'm definitely going to try this vortex style when it arrives and report back.

Thanks, seen that and it was partly why I want to try this style next.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #9
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Yes blue smoke sometimes. Yeah thinking the worst I might just need to get this repaired. You're right and after speaking to a few people they've all said the play shouldn't be more than a few tenths of a mm either side.

Did you replace with a vortex style or just kept it empty? With regards to crankcase breather.
That turbo isn't fucked it has a bit more play than is ideal, is it rubbing the inside of the compressor housing? also you need to check the end float ie in and out if its more than 2 to 4 thou the thrust bearing is worn and it needs a rebuild. i can steer you in the right direction for that,
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #10
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Quote:

That turbo isn't fucked it has a bit more play than is ideal, is it rubbing the inside of the compressor housing? also you need to check the end float ie in and out if its more than 2 to 4 thou the thrust bearing is worn and it needs a rebuild. i can steer you in the right direction for that,
Thanks Dave, yes I've checked the thrust and I can't feel any play in that direction and no fouling on the housing.
I am a bit more at ease and going down the other routes i.e. crankcase breather etc. even going to give the inlet manifold a good old refresh when I get the new gaskets delivered.
Thanks, will let you know if I do end up doing the turbo. I have got a few quotes already.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

A quick check if the breather is working, pull the dip stick with the engine running, if it shoots oil out the breather is blocked and the pressure in the crankcase is stopping the oil from the turbo retuning to the sump if you get stuck give me a shout 07768174805.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #12
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A quick check if the breather is working, pull the dip stick with the engine running, if it shoots oil out the breather is blocked and the pressure in the crankcase is stopping the oil from the turbo retuning to the sump if you get stuck give me a shout 07768174805.
Thanks Dave, I will check this. Appreciate your response. Will let you know what I find.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #13
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

You’re probably already in the know but if you’re taking the inlet manifold off ditch the swirl flaps while you’re at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #14
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
You’re probably already in the know but if you’re taking the inlet manifold off ditch the swirl flaps while you’re at it.
Yep, these were already removed before I bought the car. Thanks though. I think it gives me a chance to make sure the blanks are sealed properly. There's nothing quite like checking something for yourself instead of relying on someone saying it's done!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I checked this just now, and while there was nothing coming out of the crankcase breather, there was white smoke pouring out of the dipstick location. Not loads but quite similar to a just boiled kettle...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So I checked this just now, and while there was nothing coming out of the crankcase breather, there was white smoke pouring out of the dipstick location. Not loads but quite similar to a just boiled kettle...
take the oil filler cap off with it running and see if it does the same, if no oil came up the dip stick tube i would say the breather is working.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
take the oil filler cap off with it running and see if it does the same, if no oil came up the dip stick tube i would say the breather is working.
okay will check with oil cap off. what if there is the same smoke from there too?

okay so the breather might be working to some extent, but then what is the explanation for the oil in the breather pipe connected to the turbo intake? to me this means there is no separation happening in the breather when there should be and hence my oil leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #18
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
okay will check with oil cap off. what if there is the same smoke from there too?

okay so the breather might be working to some extent, but then what is the explanation for the oil in the breather pipe connected to the turbo intake? to me this means there is no separation happening in the breather when there should be and hence my oil leaks.
Because it has to be vented back into the inlet system, on the old type cosworth breathers we vented them into catch tanks then to an open breather, bmw cant do that they have to stay within the rules, to be honest i think you are worrying over nothing. give me a call and il run through it with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Because it has to be vented back into the inlet system, on the old type cosworth breathers we vented them into catch tanks then to an open breather, bmw cant do that they have to stay within the rules, to be honest i think you are worrying over nothing. give me a call and il run through it with you.
Yeah, I get all that. But then why is it leaking so much? To the point the undertray was full and was dripping onto my drive.
Nice one mate, can I call you tomorrow if that is okay?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I get all that. But then why is it leaking so much? To the point the undertray was full and was dripping onto my drive.
Nice one mate, can I call you tomorrow if that is okay?
call any time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:19 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
thats just oil vapour etc,,as said if the pressure forces oil up then its over pressurising,,this was a thing on focus st,,if the oil filter housing went there was an almighty screeching sound,,pull dipstcik and it relieved the pressure and sound went away,,put it back in and same thing noise was awful,,couldnt drive car in case cam seals blew and put oil on cam belt,,then it could hve slipped and then fucked etc
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #22
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
Quote:
thats just oil vapour etc,,as said if the pressure forces oil up then its over pressurising,,this was a thing on focus st,,if the oil filter housing went there was an almighty screeching sound,,pull dipstcik and it relieved the pressure and sound went away,,put it back in and same thing noise was awful,,couldnt drive car in case cam seals blew and put oil on cam belt,,then it could hve slipped and then fucked etc
Okay fair enough. That's fine then with regards to the vapours.

Lets see how the new vortex breather holds up when I get it installed. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0