E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW Variant 1 broken endlink tab

01-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
vindizzle9
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

KW Variant 1 broken endlink tab

I just purchased a set a KW V1 coilovers for a great deal. The only catch was that the endlink tab on the front passenger strut snapped off and needed to be re-welded. I was fine with the idea of welding the tab, but the more i talk about it the more uncomfortable the idea sounds. Do you guys think a good shop can re-weld and brace the tab? The other alternative would be to send the strut back to KW for a $300 rebuild.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

If done right a weld can be stronger than the surrounding metal so I don't see an issue. I would certainly take it to a reputable shop or if your lucky you know of a welder who will do it on the side. If there is a risk of KW not doing a rebuild after it's been rewelded maybe that's something to consider. I have no clue if they would take that avenue, just putting it out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9 View Post
I just purchased a set a KW V1 coilovers for a great deal. The only catch was that the endlink tab on the front passenger strut snapped off and needed to be re-welded. I was fine with the idea of welding the tab, but the more i talk about it the more uncomfortable the idea sounds. Do you guys think a good shop can re-weld and brace the tab? The other alternative would be to send the strut back to KW for a $300 rebuild.
IF kw is willing to take it back before the weld and rebuild the whole thing and the rebuild will come with a new endlink tab, then I would send it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

rewelding is fine as long as it's done properly.

if you send the shock in to get revalved, send both fronts in, not just one. otherwise the damping may not match since the other shock will be worn and the rebuilt one is essentially new on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Try getting it welded first. If that fails, which I don't see happening, then go for the rebuild. And yes like others have said, if you do get a rebuild done make sure both fronts get rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
This is a know issue on older KW and if you are the original owner or have a receipt you will get both struts retrofitted with upgraded housings under warranty. If not, you will need to upgrade both housing as they will fail in time for sure. They usually bend first in a short amount of time. I would do a serach here to see at leat 10 others just like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
vindizzle9
Private
Rep

Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
vindizzle9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
This is a know issue on older KW and if you are the original owner or have a receipt you will get both struts retrofitted with upgraded housings under warranty. If not, you will need to upgrade both housing as they will fail in time for sure. They usually bend first in a short amount of time. I would do a serach here to see at leat 10 others just like this.
I found early threads with the same issue due to sway bars installed upside down and faulty early designs. Now all these issues have been resolved under warranty. However, i am not the original owner. So my question is, Were the early failures due to manufacturing or design flaws? I am waiting to hear back from KW with a built date on these coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I found early threads with the same issue due to sway bars installed upside down and faulty early designs. Now all these issues have been resolved under warranty. However, i am not the original owner. So my question is, Were the early failures due to manufacturing or design flaws? I am waiting to hear back from KW with a built date on these coilovers.
The problem was due to a design flaw. This is a very well known and documented issue at KW!! This issue was a very common occurrence 3-4 years ago to the point it should have been a recall. The new strut housing has a thicker cross section roll bar mount and you can see this is some pictures. I can see that you strut is the old style roll bar mount. I had my old KW warranted due to bending a few years back now. You will need to replace both housing or it will fail again. Hopefully they will work out a deal for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
vindizzle9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The problem was due to a design flaw. This is a very well known and documented issue at KW!! This issue was a very common occurrence 3-4 years ago to the point it should have been a recall. The new strut housing has a thicker cross section roll bar mount and you can see this is some pictures. I can see that you strut is the old style roll bar mount. I had my old KW warranted due to bending a few years back now. You will need to replace both housing or it will fail again. Hopefully they will work out a deal for you.
Thanks Orb!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Did the OP get this resolved? I'm sending in my original set and am expecting some resistance from KW.

Orb,tried PM you, but no go on this. It won't let me for some reason.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Having a reputable shop repair this would cost less than $60-70.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
vindizzle9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Did the OP get this resolved? I'm sending in my original set and am expecting some resistance from KW.

Orb,tried PM you, but no go on this. It won't let me for some reason.
I still haven't done anything with my coilovers. When i talked to them on the phone, they didn't seem to have any issues rebuilding the housings.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
vindizzle9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Having a reputable shop repair this would cost less than $60-70.
Hey Tiago,
Would you recommend any shops in the area? I'm local.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
If you're willing to take the strut off the car any fabrication shop that can weld aluminum should be able to tackle this.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
thestein1016
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I just rewelded mine a few months ago. I originally called kW and they wouldn't honor the warranty. Instead said they would sell me a new coilover for x amount and never mentioned a rebuild...
Just pull it out and have somebody tig it back.
Shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks.
Appreciate 0