E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Inner front tire wear - Alignment?

09-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
SM335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Inner front tire wear - Alignment?

Hey guys, I been hearing noises from the front of my 335 xdrive, which sounded like a bad wheel bearing, so I took the front wheels off and noticed some bad inner tire wear and realized the noises I been having are from the inner tire wear and not a bearing. I tested with different wheels/tires up front and the noise was gone! I searched online and the forums and it seems that with the OEM negative chamber up front, I need more toe-in to even out the tire wear. (rears are perferct) My questions:

Current set-up:

18" OEM 193m's
OEM suspension
15MM rear spacers
Tires:
Front: 225-40/18 Kumho Ecsta 4x
Rear: 255-35/18 Kumho Ecsta 4x

1. Can I switch the left front tire to the right and right front tire to the left, since the outer edges of tires are still plenty good, so I can get everything out of these tires? basically ride out the outer edges, tires are non directional

2. After a search, I still couldnt find the right OEM alignment specs for an xDrive, can someone provide?

help,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM335i View Post
Hey guys, I been hearing noises from the front of my 335 xdrive, which sounded like a bad wheel bearing, so I took the front wheels off and noticed some bad inner tire wear and realized the noises I been having are from the inner tire wear and not a bearing. I tested with different wheels/tires up front and the noise was gone! I searched online and the forums and it seems that with the OEM negative chamber up front, I need more toe-in to even out the tire wear. (rears are perferct) My questions:

Current set-up:

18" OEM 193m's
OEM suspension
15MM rear spacers
Tires:
Front: 225-40/18 Kumho Ecsta 4x
Rear: 255-35/18 Kumho Ecsta 4x

1. Can I switch the left front tire to the right and right front tire to the left, since the outer edges of tires are still plenty good, so I can get everything out of these tires? basically ride out the outer edges, tires are non directional

2. After a search, I still couldnt find the right OEM alignment specs for an xDrive, can someone provide?

help,
1. NO
2. The shop which is doing alignment should have stock values set in their computers.If I remember right front should be set to -0.5 deg.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
SM335i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
1. NO
2. The shop which is doing alignment should have stock values set in their computers.If I remember right front should be set to -0.5 deg.
Thanks, but what about toe-in? If I adjust the toe-in, will my tires start having a normal wear?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
SM335i
Banned
Rep

Does anyone know if the rear wheels follow the front wheels in one line on staggard set-ups? I'm confused about thrust angle..
Appreciate 0