E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Camera quandary

06-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

Camera quandary

Hi guys,

Following on from the great thread about camera's the other month, i'd pretty much decided to go with this....

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-ni...r-lens-kit.htm

But....

I very rarely use a camera, i go on about 4 hols a year taking photo's there of city/country vista's, pics of family etc. The occasional piccy of my car. But honestly i've either the time nor the patience to get heavily into photography.

So, do i need such a fancy piece of kit? Will i ever even be able to get the best out of it? Having said that i am going to the singapore GP in Sept, and would love some quality photo's, is a DSLR essential for this?

See, i'm looking at the Nikon S8000, and for £159, including cashback, it doesn't look half bad. Is it? Is there any better, for the money? And will it cut it at the GP?

I'm well stuck, and as you can probably see, i don't know much at all.
      06-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

I've got the next body up from that (D90) and the same 18-105 lens. That combination will take absolutely stunning photos, but with respect if you're going to leave it on Auto mode most of the time its a bit of a waste.

Ultimately good photos are more about the eye of the photographer than the camera. The Coolpix is a good little camera, will be far easier to carry and is way cheaper. If you want to spend time and learn photography the D5000 is a great camera. If not, go Coolpix.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, i'm inclined to agree. Anyone else wanna chip in? Any better out there than the S8000 for similar monies?
      06-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
If you aren't going to progress in photography I would strongly advise you to go for this camera

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pa...x-dmc-tz10.htm

An absolutely cracking camera that can still be slipped into your pocket and is capable of taking some very good images and AVCHD Video should you wish.......

Trouble with DLSRs is the bulk of them - taking them on holiday is troublesome given their sheers size etc

The TZ10 can't match a decent DSLR with a sweet lens but as a good all-rounder, it's great. Plus you'll save quite a bit of cash.

I'd drop into a camera shop and hold one, see how you like it......
      06-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
Hairyarse
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Auto

..or look at a second hand DSLR? They get updated so quick now reckon you could get a bargain on ebay or similar. I have Canon D500 which I love, actually went to buy a Nikon D90 but just preferred (for a change) the way the Canon felt

Or look at a bridge/super-zoom camera. I used to have a Fujifilm S9500. This was a cracking little camera - not quite as good as an SLR but took cracking photos, good video and was small enough to carry around. Not sure what current ones are like but that may be a good choice
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

For regular compact cameras, have a look at this link below -

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10...mgrouptest.asp

One of the very best compact cameras on the market at the moment is the Canon S90 - it is small, truly pocketable, and yet has brilliant image quality for the type of camera. It is at the top end of the compact camera scale, and is therefore more pricey than the ones in the review above, but the extra outlay will reap benefits in picture quality.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons90/

And to the OP - why don't you contact a member called " - Paul - " on here - he's moved from a compact camera, to a bridge camera, and now to a D5000, so his experiences first hand will be directly relevant to your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Sony Cybershot for the pocket and Canon EOS 550D for the rest here.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Many thanks for the replies. Had a look at the TZ10 in the shop, and really liked it. Seeing the D5000 confirmed that's it's far too full on. Will have a look at the other compact suggestions now.
      06-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
If you are interested enough in cameras to even ask the question that you did in starting this thread, ANY compact is going to leave you frustrated in the end. You really ought to be looking at a bridge camera.

I use DSLR's most of the time but I still have a bridge camera and various compacts for when I can't be bothered to lug the gear about and the results I get from the newer bridge cameras never cease to impress me.

I work for Fujifilm so if you are interested in any of the Fujifilm cameras, drop me a PM and I can probably get you a discount.

Rgs
Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
if you want something less focused (so to speak) something like : http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...amera/p1033071 might be ideal
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
The serious photographers on here will probably shoot me down for what I am about to say.

BUT

Do you really need an SLR camera?

Sure you can get better photos and have more creative control and get extra lenses and so on and so on.

But I have seen many many people who buy an expensive DSLR, put it into AUTO and use it like a point and shoot. On top of that they don't always take it with them because it's a bit large to carry around all day.

You can get some very good compact cameras (or the bridge cameras as others have pointed out) these days that whilst they may not get as good a shot as a DSLR in the hands of a pro, will get YOU a great picture 9 times out of 10 and isn't that what matters.

In my case I have 2 cameras. One is my DSLR and the other a compact. So when hiking around Alton Towers with the family etc, the compact gets me great shots but when it is a special occasion then the DSLR comes out. There are some great shots on my walls taken with that camera that the DSLR would not have captured simply because I would not have had the DSLR with me at the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
No need for an SLR until you are well into photography. There is a lot to get wrong once into full dslr territory.

I would heartily recommend a bridge camera - you can dabble with manual controls/have a really long zoom lens and if you want - stick it on auto and it will produce good photos.

I've had an Olympus/Panasonic/Pentax and now have a Canon Sx1 bridge (which I've kept aswell as my D5000)

The panasonic was the best out of the other 3 I had. The FZ28 was what I had but I believe that has been replaced by the FZ38 now.
      06-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, thanks for all the advice guys.

I came to the conclusion that i didn't need a DSLR, so i went for a compact with super zoom.

I'm gonna get flamed because it's not from any of the major photography stable's.

But we have had a casio camera for the last eight years, that the missus can use easily, it's also been bullit-proof (you should see the thing, it's been through a war zone... Foam parties, in my yoof, and all sorts.)

It's got mega reviews everywhere, and i can dable with all the fancy settings and the like. Plus Casio have got £40 cashback on at the mo, so i just went for it. Can return it if it's not to my liking.

It's the casio EX-FH100.

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...FQ-Y2Aod1FTOTw
      06-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
eeeek! That's a lot of money on a Casio

Hope you enjoy it, happy snapping !
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Looking forward to seeing some slow motion footage!!!
      06-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
eeeek! That's a lot of money on a Casio

Hope you enjoy it, happy snapping !
It is but it have been getting some stellar reviews and great write ups most recently here

http://dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grou...oom/page24.asp

Should be a keeper
Appreciate 0