E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Just been pulled by plod!

06-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
Just been pulled by plod!

Driving home from work along a 40mph dual carriage way approaching traffic lights as I got to them literally they turned amber so rather than slamming on brakes (car behind me) I continued through all safe to do so carried on further onto a 60mph stretch and set cruise at 60 I noticed a police transit tearing up my rear lights flashing so over I pull, he came flying over to me and said " those lights you went through" I replied yes the amber ones, yes you should of stopped oh ok sorry about that, "do you know the speed limit of this road?" yes 60 you was going a bit fast, oh my cruise control must be lying sorry about that, well just be a bit more careful in future ok thanks for the advice! and off I went.

was this because I was driving a 330i msport one wonders

Last edited by msport; 06-25-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

looks it, go and solve some crimes please?

fuck sake.. you'd think they had better things to do then hold up traffic during rush hour
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

I've had similar, only for the policeman to just appear to lose interest & wave me on; wish they'd just say "We pulled you on the off-chance you've nicked it, but my mate just got the details through from the DVLA and you're legit, on your way." rather than making up some crap about how fast you took the last corner. Yes, it handles & corners well, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

If they were in a transit then they are not traffic cops and would not be able to book you. Had a similar one were the local plod with his focus was saying i had been speeding, I said no way. ended up with me saying are you going to book me or am I driving off Didn't get a ticket, car jealousy without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msport View Post
Driving home from work along a 40mph dual carriage way approaching traffic lights as I got to them literally they turned amber so rather than slamming on brakes (car behind me) I continued through all safe to do so carried on further onto a 60mph stretch and set cruise at 60 I noticed a police transit tearing up my rear lights flashing so over I pull, he came flying over to me and said " those lights you went through" I replied yes the amber ones, yes you should of stopped oh ok sorry about that, "do you know the speed limit of this road?" yes 60 you was going a bit fast, oh my cruise control must be lying sorry about that, well just be a bit more careful in future ok thanks for the advice! and off I went.

Looks to me like the Police Officer gave advice to someone who was pushing it a bit re the amber light and speed. Funny, If hed given you a ticket he would be a git, giving you a warning hes also a git. (Who has obviously never seen a BMW 330 msport ).
Next time it could be a speed camera. They dont bother with warnings.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
If they were in a transit then they are not traffic cops and would not be able to book you. Had a similar one were the local plod with his focus was saying i had been speeding, I said no way. ended up with me saying are you going to book me or am I driving off Didn't get a ticket, car jealousy without a doubt.
What a load of tosh. I just love you legal "experts". Tell the Judge the officer wasnt a traffic officer and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Nope, certainly don't think it was jealousy. Sorry, but there's loads of German marques on our roads nowadays and PC's can afford them, especially secondhand.........think he was giving you a ticking off.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I never suggested jealousy as I know the car is nothing special just the fact it is maybe a quickish car. I never speed well 75 80 on a motorway I grew out of speeding years ago, I was certainly not "pushing it" hand on heart it went amber as I hit the line doing 25 ish and I never floored it to 60 just gradual increase of speed then flicked cruise on was showing bang on 60.

I am all for a "ticking" off if I feel it is justified but I honestly can not see his reasoning for stopping me, I am not some young kid boy racer type so who knows why just felt like sharing it because I was a bit miffed.....

Si
      06-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Who knows tbh. Maybe the Police have had enough of being strangled by Government policies hindering them to catch real criminals and are chomping at the bit for the new Government to put some common sense policing in place..............or he didn't get his leg over the night before.

More than likely he was simply feeling 'that way out' and probably wouldn't even remember the incident now.

Oh and your car is special and there's still a few peeps would love to own it........besides I used to have one, exact same model and colour so must be ok lol
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325d M Sport LCI

Quote:
If they were in a transit then they are not traffic cops and would not be able to book you.
What a load of bollocks......... ANY police officer can provide evidence in a witness statement to a court that he observed you go through a red light. (of course in this case it was amber!! )
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60056&dateline=126193  4242 LCI E90 M Sport Auto ~ Titanium Silver ~ Black Dakota ~ Rear Tints ~ Heated Seats ~ Folding Mirrors ~ Bluetooth ~ Goodyear F1's ~
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msport View Post
Probably, if you had been in a 330d you would have got through the lights when they were on green.
      06-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Nope, certainly don't think it was jealousy. Sorry, but there's loads of German marques on our roads nowadays and PC's can afford them, especially secondhand.........think he was giving you a ticking off.
There speaks the voice of common sense!!! We drive one of the best selling cars on the market... not some rare supercar. I think the police officer may have seen a 3 series beemer once or twice before...

To the OP.. was he not just doing his job and giving you a few seconds of friendly advice re the amber (?) light??? You make it sound like he Rodney King'd your ass!!!!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60056&dateline=126193  4242 LCI E90 M Sport Auto ~ Titanium Silver ~ Black Dakota ~ Rear Tints ~ Heated Seats ~ Folding Mirrors ~ Bluetooth ~ Goodyear F1's ~
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Probably, if you had been in a 330d you would have got through the lights when they were on green.
haha!!! Love it Will!
      06-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Nah he prob would'nt of seen me through the cloud of smoke
      06-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
What a load of tosh. I just love you legal "experts". Tell the Judge the officer wasnt a traffic officer and see what he says.
The OP asked for oppinions and I gave mine based on my experience. I don't claim to be a legal expert, I am not. I joined this forum to learn and to share my experiences. If we all think and act the same, then there is no point in forums like this. I honestly believe that a plod in a transit can't book you. This may be 'tosh' or even 'bollocks' as another poster put. If so I would like to know. Out of interest has anyone on this forum been convicted of speeding in the circumstances described by the OP?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
As usual, the police force not focusing on priorities!...

Stopping a 330i m sport who went through an amber light....well done!!! He should be promoted....

I wonder if

1)they will find that c*&t who hit my TTS a few months ago, who had no insurance...
2)the chavs that broke the wooden fencing around my block of flat...
3)find all these serial killers, rapists, paedos, burglars, car/wheel thieves, chavs that bully old pensioners, etc....

guess they won't....

To the OP....well, at least he didn't give u a ticket...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #17
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Actually....

my replies....

1) didn't hear anything back...
2) they will not investigate, as its "minor" but they sent me some leaflet on "victims of crime" and support line crap...well, at least I can call them to rant...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Im surprised they didnt give you a TS 10 for going through the amber light ! The scumbags gave me one for doing the exact same thing 5 years ago, its only just coming off my insurance in the summer!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #19
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The OP asked for oppinions and I gave mine based on my experience. I don't claim to be a legal expert, I am not. I joined this forum to learn and to share my experiences. If we all think and act the same, then there is no point in forums like this. I honestly believe that a plod in a transit can't book you. This may be 'tosh' or even 'bollocks' as another poster put. If so I would like to know. Out of interest has anyone on this forum been convicted of speeding in the circumstances described by the OP?
My point is that you dont know. So why tell everyone that an officer who isnt a traffic officer cant book you if you dont actually know that?
Fact is, any officer in uniform can legally stop you. If he has some form of corroboration, ie a speed gun, camera or calibrated speedometer he can book you.
Im not a legal expert myself but I am a Police Officer with 32 years experience.
Perhaps thats why I react when I read posts or hear those people who allegedly gave officers an earful and then drove away. Usually thats just bravado and I guarantee that most will have been respectful (otherwise they would not have walked off without any further action).
As for jealousy.... whats to be jealous of in any BMW? As Beemerbird said, most officers can afford one, particularly used.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Fact is, any officer in uniform can legally stop you. If he has some form of corroboration, ie a speed gun, camera or calibrated speedometer he can book you.
Im not a legal expert myself but I am a Police Officer with 32 years experience.
Are you really a police officer?

Does that mean that the Police is keeping an eye on e90post.com? or are you here as a BMW owner/ fan?

Could the police arrest someone on the forum for writing about "spirited" driving etc....?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I am always respectful to police and have a few friends in the force and admire the work they do, my main point for posting was I could really not see his reasoning for stopping me, I can understand if I floored it to avoid the red light but I never it literally changed as I hit the line, or if I shot off like a bat out of hell but I never, so like beemer bird says who knows
      06-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My point is that you dont know. So why tell everyone that an officer who isnt a traffic officer cant book you if you dont actually know that?
Perhaps thats why I react when I read posts or hear those people who allegedly gave officers an earful and then drove away. Usually thats just bravado and I guarantee that most will have been respectful (otherwise they would not have walked off without any further action).
As for jealousy.... whats to be jealous of in any BMW? As Beemerbird said, most officers can afford one, particularly used.
That is my point, does your average officer in a transist have a speed camera or a calibrated tacho? I've known loads of people get stopped as the OP described and as I was stopped. No-one charged though. Now if you were rude, violent or abusive then clearly you could/should be charged but a straight speeding as the OP was accused, unless they have a gun or as you say a callibrated tacho, which I thought only the traffic cops have, can't be done. Appreciate if you don't want to answer this. In my case, the officer was very rude and aggressive. I asked him politely if he was going to book me or not otherwise I would drive off. I got a load lecture on the dangers of speed and then left. In my experience, police officers are like everyone else, some good, some bad. You have had a go at me without knowing the details and so far without really correcting me. As I said before if I am wrong, I want to know as like averyone else here I have no desire to be booked.
Appreciate 0