E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Pilot Bearing Stuck in Transmission Shaft !

02-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
E36graduate
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Pilot Bearing Stuck in Transmission Shaft !

Did the clutch a few days ago and besides the stupid seized on nuts and bolts here an there, trying to get the pilot bearing out of the tranny shaft was the most time consuming PIA.

Tried extraction tools/pullers, prying out, etc....but the last thing we tried was welding a hammer tool to the inside of the pilot bearing and it finally came out.

Splitting the bell-housing from the engine took a little effort, probably because of the pilot bearing being stuck on the tranny shaft? The tranny went back in smoothly.

I believe the pilot bearing usually sticks to the flywheel retainer...hopefully the shops that change out clutchs on these cars don't bypass changing the bearing because it's stuck???
Attached Images

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xiT

HOLY! O.o
Appreciate 0