E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How bad is using your pod and using your BT phone w/ no Nav screen?

12-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jffeijao View Post

Just checked and right now there are 175 2011 BMW 3 series for sale in a 200mile radius from you. Just pick one.
Also if you find the right car, shipping it to you from anywhere in US will be max $1k. Consider this option and have fun!
Yeah, but if I stick with the features I want and also a 335i, that seriously limits the cars down to a few. Trust me, I've been looking on autotrader eBay and cars.com for a while! I expect more will come up though in time. 2011s aren't terribly old.

I think I've decided to be patient and try to get everything I want. Meaning a 335i with nav, prem pkg, BT, step, iPod USB, and msport pkg. heck, I'll even hold out for my fav color-space gray! No buyers remorse then! As I thought about it even more, one of the things I'm tired about with my current car is it doesn't even have the features my Honda pilot has (nav, BT, iPod) And the msport looks really awesome IMO.
      12-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #46
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I will get nav over m sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #47
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
Yeah, but if I stick with the features I want and also a 335i, that seriously limits the cars down to a few. [...] 2011s aren't terribly old.
Only gotta find one though... right?

2011's are likely to be thin right now as you're not yet to the typical three year lease threshold. Availability should get better as time goes on.

Quote:
I think I've decided to be patient and try to get everything I want. Meaning a 335i with nav, prem pkg, BT, step, iPod USB, and msport pkg. heck, I'll even hold out for my fav color-space gray! No buyers remorse then!
Wise choice IMHO. I love the m-sport steering wheel; I've missed it anytime I've had a loaner, even if it had sport pkg. I also love the Le Mans blue color.

FYI - iPod USB (6FL) can be retrofitted as part of the deal on a car; dealer offered to do so on a 2009 I was looking at when I was shopping.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
You should wait until you find a car with everything you want. Cars are "big" purchases and to be spending that much, you mind as well get something that will make you happy for the duration of ownership. You'll end up regretting it in the end.

Having iDrive isn't necessarily ALL about the nav. Much of the car's controls and media are displayed through the idrive screen and it's a huge convenience over a car without idrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #49
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

When searching for my car the nav package was a take it or leave it option, didn't matter to me one way or the other. The car came without it and the BT/Ipod interface works just fine for me.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #50
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
If it's within your budget, get the Nav. It's not about the Nav, it's about the screen, and the integration of everthing else with the iDrive.

If just about the nav, it's a huge ripoff....just get a phone mount instead

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
If it's within your budget, get the Nav. It's not about the Nav, it's about the screen, and the integration of everthing else with the iDrive.

If just about the nav, it's a huge ripoff....just get a phone mount instead
Basically what I feel, but you said it very succinctly.
      12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #52
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Don't have nav (I'm sure it works great) but w/o it the ipod and Bluetooth work very well.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #53
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Owners Manual?

Is there a decent 2013 owner's manual for operation of the non-iDrive system (ie, BT setup, phone use, BT audio streaming, etc)????
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #54
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

There is no BT audio streaming (A2DP) on non-iDrive. It's one of the functions of the COMBOX, which requires CIC iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #55
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
There is no BT audio streaming (A2DP) on non-iDrive. It's one of the functions of the COMBOX, which requires CIC iDrive.
Okay, I stand corrected. Anyway, is there a copy of the handbook for the non-iDrive operation anywhere online (for 2013)?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #56
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

If you def want Nav as an option, look at getting a Google Nexus 7. I built a custom mount for it that holds it on the front of the dashboard.

Works pretty flawlessly.

I'll post a few pictures of it once I get a chance.
      12-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #57
BigJoeTX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I wanted at least the sport package, preferably M-sport and a nav. I ended up finding an amazing deal on a CPO with the sport package and no nav, so I ended up with that.

I had my car in the shop about a month ago and they gave me a 2012 328i loaner with a nav. After driving it around for a few days, I have to say I don't have any regrets about getting no nav. It was kind of cool, yes. It was cool seeing the album covers on the screen, yes. But to be honest, how often do I use a nav? Never, I have a TomTom that I use maybe once a year. So maybe if you travel a lot yea, you might be able to use one. But 95% of my driving is around the town I live in currently or the town that I'm from so I don't really need a nav at all. The iPod interface and other iDrive extras were cool but looking back they're not worth the extra money to me.

As far as how the iPod and iPhone works on a base stereo, it's surprisingly good. The best iPod navigation I've seen by far, that wasn't on nav system, was on the aftermarket Sony stereo I had in my old car, but the BMW stereo is surprisingly adequate. And I use the BT all the time to make calls, phone book shows up on the screen and everything. The only qualm I have is that it only gives you two lines and my old stereo had 5 lines of information. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the iPod works on the BMW stereo.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #58
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
I have a '09 335i E92 6MT no Nav no iDrive. Never wanted those options. They are out of date almost as soon as you buy the car, and hopelessly out of date once the car is a few years old. They are horrendously costly to repair and not covered under CPO. And I really don't care for a bluish LCD screen glowing at me while I'm driving. I LOVE the all amber/red lighting on my car. The LCD would just ruin that.

If I need to navigate, I use my iPhone (laying on my right leg). It's not perfect but it works fine. But I'm old-school. I just want a dot on the map showing me where the destination is, and I'll pick what road to take.

With 6FL and the correct cable, iPod and iPhone work flawlessly for music. It's a little slower scrolling on a smaller screen, but the amber/black screen is highly visible. It definitely sounds better than using the ACC cable alone, although I'm not sure why (probably because the 6FL cable is using line level out from the iPod).

Not interested in Bluetooth streaming. That will just add another layer of lossy compression to the sound. I prefer Apple Lossless for sound quality on iPod, but I've found 256-320 mbps ACC/MP3 to be adequate in the in-car environment. I find 128 mbps MP3 to be audibly compromised and anything less than 128 to be practically unlistenable.

My GF's VW Jetta has satellite radio. I got her the subscription (her car already had the right equipment). The selection is good, but the sound quality... big disappointment. The echo and smear from the lossy compression is always noticeable. You have to try to fool yourself to not notice it.

I have a manual trans. I love DRIVING my car. I have no interest in taking phone calls, updating facebook or tweeting while driving. If I HAVE to make or take a call while driving, I just use the iPhone by itself with headphones.

For Sale: 2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Sport / M-Technic / no iDrive / Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, 19" VMR VB3, Pilot Super Sport, M3 control arms + tension links (fr) S. California
Appreciate 0