E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Power Steering Leak

02-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
silverarrowe90
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Power Steering Leak

Hi all

I have looked all around and don't seem to find help. Losing quite a bit of fluid going from full to nearly empty in less than two weeks(only drive 20miles a day max). Any ideas on how to track it down seem like the main culprit are the reservoir but not sure I should replace it and hope for the best. Mine is a 06 325xi with 85k on it. Other option is the lucas stop leak not sure if that would work seems mixed opinions. Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Clem
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Don’t out Lucas in there first, find the leak. Clean-up the mess with Gunk or some other degreasing cleaner and see where it originates. You can also use UV dye in the fluid. The reseviours are a common failure point and you can get one for like $50 from FCPEuro.com
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Well you need to inspect the system first. You need to get under the car and remove the front belly pan. All the steering components that leak are hidden behind the front belly pan. Get a powerful LED flashlight. Start from the top of the system, which is the PS reservoir. Check the two hoses coming off the bottom. Follow them down to the PS pump and the return line from the steering rack.

The steering rack can leak at the ends. The piston seals can go bad. They way to check is squeeze the bellows at each end of the rack. If they sound squishy and full of fluid, then the rack needs to be replaced.

Don't use stop leak.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
silverarrowe90
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Thanks to both of you especially on how to check the rack because I was unsure where that would leak. I read on another forum that you can replace the seals on the rack is that true or do you have to do the whole 1k part.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverarrowe90 View Post
Thanks to both of you especially on how to check the rack because I was unsure where that would leak. I read on another forum that you can replace the seals on the rack is that true or do you have to do the whole 1k part.
If you can source the parts, I'm sure any company that service hydraulic equipment could replace the seals.
Appreciate 0