E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Drag Questions

01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Drag Questions

As this is the only auto site I frequent I am going to ask a couple of questions here.

1) What is the difference between a "big block" and "small block" engines? I think, as you most likely know, they are reference to a Chevy engine.

2) What is the difference between a "foot brake", which I am familiar with, and a "transmission brake" which I am not familiar with?

We watch the "SPEED" channel and they ask the drivers questions about whether or not they have these.

All comments are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Big block and small block don't only refer to orange engines. The terminology applies to other manufacturers as well. The small vs big is about the size of the block when talking Chevy (note: not the displacement). I think other manufacturers might base it on displacement though, in the same block (e.g. Pontiac) you can have a small block design and big block design come from the same sized block (e.g. 350, 400, and 455 were same block design). Ford's assignment of the labels has also been confusing. It's kind of a loose unstandardized term across the industry from what I gather.

Foot brake is the brake manipulated by your foot. The transmission brake in drag racing is a lever they pull before the launch that pretty much puts backwards force on a transmission (fluidically) so that when they release the pressure, the natural force of the transmissions gears catapults it forward giving the dragster more forward momentum when they dump the clutch into drive. Supposed to help with gaining traction from a dig I guess.

Source:
TONS upon TONS of info if you Google it. Better, more detailed explanations than I can give.

Last edited by ragingclue; 01-29-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Big block and small block don't only refer to orange engines. The terminology applies to other manufacturers as well. The small vs big is about the size of the block when talking Chevy (note: not the displacement). I think other manufacturers might base it on displacement though, in the same block (e.g. Pontiac) you can have a small block design and big block design come from the same sized block (e.g. 350, 400, and 455 were same block design). Ford's assignment of the labels has also been confusing. It's kind of a loose unstandardized term across the industry from what I gather.

Foot brake is the brake manipulated by your foot. The transmission brake in drag racing is a lever they pull before the launch that pretty much puts backwards force on a transmission (fluidically) so that when they release the pressure, the natural force of the transmissions gears catapults it forward giving the dragster more forward momentum when they dump the clutch into drive. Supposed to help with gaining traction from a dig I guess.

Source:
TONS upon TONS of info if you Google it. Better, more detailed explanations than I can give.
I was doing searching when I received your response. Yours provided me with just enough information that I need. I do not want to overload my pea brain. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
I was doing searching when I received your response. Yours provided me with just enough information that I need. I do not want to overload my pea brain. Thanks again.
I only mentioned the search thing because there are a lot of explanations from different perspectives, so you have the best shot of getting something you can digest that way. I wasn't trying to be a dick by telling you to search, I was just saying there's a wealth of resources out there that could explain it better than I could, and honestly I haven't done much drag racing. It's been years and I didn't even do it much back then either.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I only mentioned the search thing because there are a lot of explanations from different perspectives, so you have the best shot of getting something you can digest that way. I wasn't trying to be a dick by telling you to search, I was just saying there's a wealth of resources out there that could explain it better than I could, and honestly I haven't done much drag racing. It's been years and I didn't even do it much back then either.
I certainly did not consider you a "dick" by your response. It was very helpful. I have only worked with someone who dragged but never did it myself. We just like the TV show and want more infor in order to reach a better time response.
Appreciate 0