E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sticky Brakes

View Poll Results: Do you have any of the sticky brake symptoms?
Yes, I have at least one of the symptoms. 9 34.62%
Yes, I have all of the symptoms. 8 30.77%
No, I don't have any of those symptoms. 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

06-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Angry Sticky Brakes

Are you affected with the "sticky brake" issue?

Symptoms:
  • The brake abruptly clamps down when you press on it making a harsh stop.
  • The brake pauses then abruptly disengages when you lift your foot off it making the car jerky during take off or when braking slowly.
  • When lifting your foot off the brake the car sometimes lunges forward making it feel like someone tapped your rear bumper.
I'm officially fed up with the f#@k!n sticky brakes as I hit a wall today parking my car . Luckily it was dead on with my front bumper so I only scuffed up my license plate frame. I don't think BMW cares about this issue since it's been over 2 years it's been around and nothing has been done to address it and there is no way to turn off this worthless feature.

What does this mean? Well you basically cannot parallel park your car or park close to a wall without smacking your bumper/s and looking like an asshole as you jerk yourself into position. I also think it's a safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

You just have to get used to comfort stop/brake assist. It's nothing we can fix. I've gotten used to it and can smoothly stop and have no problem backing into a parking spot since all you need the brakes for when you're parallel parking is for stopping when you're done. Try getting your car reprogrammed to see if that helps your little situation a little.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

BMW claims this isn't an issue, but rather a feature named "hill assist". Search on this forum to find out more... Many people (myself included) hate the feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep

^ Yes, I know what it's 'suppose' to do but it does not work as advertised. This sticky brakes happen even when I am on level ground like in the garage. The system is a POS and does not work. I don't understand why BMW is not addressing this or at the very least offer the option to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I am wondering if people who are bad drivers do better with this feature. I have never ever had a problem modulating the brakes on any car I have owned to come to a perfectly smooth stop.

Now they put a feature it to help me stop smoother and all it does is make my stops more jerky.

I hate this feature to I wish I could turn it off. I dont like hill hold either.

Hill hold is for people who dont know how to drive manuals.

The one thing I do like is when you abruptly lay off the gas and the brakes go ready that is nice.
      06-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep

I just got off the phone with my dealer. They said there are still no updates to resolve this issue but that they get complaints about it from a lot of people. This is total BS! Am I suppose to deal with this as long as I own the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

yea. you get used to it after a while. my garage is just deep enough to fit my car, and ive learned to keep my foot on the brakes so when it lunges im ready to just press down again on them to stop. ull adjust. its not great, but thats how it works. at least it doesnt interfere with every day driving at normal speeds.
Appreciate 0