E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Using Menzerma Super Finish Questions

04-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Jolio99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi Metallic Graphite

Using Menzerma Super Finish Questions

I recently traded my 325xi in on a 2010 Honda accord coupe. I hated to do it but it was the practical / smarter financial decision. Of course going with a black car the dealership put a nice coat of holograms and swirls on it. I love taking delivery of a car with swirls from day one! I got a hell of a deal on the car and it was done out of state so I will not be taking the car back. I don't trust them to fix what they did anyways. Now don't hate on me for getting rid of my BMW! I loved the car but it has its fair share of issues and the 4 year warranty just ran out and it was time for something else. The accord is a beautiful car and it comes standard with a lot of things my BMW did not have. That being said BMW provides a road feel and driving experience not matched by any car in my opinion.

After reading these forums for 4-5 years, I have yet to find a detailing section on any car forum that is as good as this one. BMW owners certainly love their cars and know how to take care of them. At least those who post on this forum.

Now on to my question:
I just recently purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP some pads and the Menzerma Super Finish Polish. I have never used an orbital before so I am just making sure I do everything correctly. This polish is not considered a "finished" product correct? I will have to finish the process with a wax or sealant correct? I have a nice selection of Zaino products but felt they didn't have a product that was good at completely removing swirls or holograms. Will I be able to finish with a z2 or z5 after the Menzerma? If not, what products do you recommend? Here is my proposed list of steps:

1. Wash
2. Clay + wipe down/ wash
3. Menzerma Super Finish Polish
4. 1 coat Zaino z5
5. Zaino QD
6. 2-3 coats Zaino z2

Will this work? Thanks in advance for your time and responses!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Step 3 depends on the combo of pad and polish, and just how bad the dealer did the paint. If you get the satisfactory results from the polish step, trade 4 and 5 for an IPA wipedown and just do the Z2. Z5 has some fillers, but if you are doing a decent polish, won't be needed. Then for step 7, I'd do a spritz of Z8 if you have it. If not, Z6 at teh end will help a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

2. Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; before commencing polishing do a test panel on the car, once you have achieved the desired results with your selected polish / pad combination then proceed to polish the rest of the panels
3. Always choose the least intrusive product, it is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive machine polish / foam pad combination.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Jolio99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi Metallic Graphite

I appreciate your responses. I purchased the Menzerna Super Finish (Nano) PO 106 FA. It stated that it could be used on new and old paint surfaces. Now my main concern is holograms left by the dealership's previous polisher. I am planning on using the grey CCS pad. I will most likely do a friend or family members car before I do my car to see exactly how it works without screwing up my black car any further. The polisher is being shipped later this week and hopefully in a week or 2 I should have before and after pictures.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolio99 View Post
I will most likely do a friend or family members car before I do my car to see exactly how it works without screwing up my black car any further.
This demonstrates a certain skill that leads me to believe you'll do well in the long run
Appreciate 0