E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 1M TG WOW

06-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
1M TG WOW

[u2b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pwoEHzIU5rE[/u2b]

I have waited 3 years for this... And I love it!!!

The car is AWESOME!!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For some reason I can't get the vid to embed...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549979
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks... But shouldn't the vid come up??

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
icyunv
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92,G63,CLS550,458,EVO X FE

^ win
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Thanks... What a GREAT car.. I can't wait to get my hands on one... Literally..

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
spyder562
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Thanks... What a GREAT car.. I can't wait to get my hands on one... Literally..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Had to watch the clip before watching the full episode...love it.

I think the bimmerpost front page shoot when they had it next to the e30 m3 really did it for me.

Don't quite understand the difference between it and a 135 with tune/diff/m3 bits, but that's for a different thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

The N/A will long be lived =/ Sure it's faster but I loved the fact that M cars were all about N/A Engines and the 1 series looks very feminine IMO. But the thing is hell-fast.
      06-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
The N/A will long be lived =/ Sure it's faster but I loved the fact that M cars were all about N/A Engines and the 1 series looks very feminine IMO. But the thing is hell-fast.
I agree with you. A lot of women drive the 1 series here in Oregon. To me it is a nice younger sister car. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would never own one though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
I could see how the 128i or MAYBE the 135i could look that way but the 1M is MEAN. The Porsche looks like a girls car IMO..

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Pretty good, but its funny they didnt run the 1M against the Cayman R or Lotus on the track, because it wouldnt stand a chance against those two. And the straight line was a bit bogus too since the cayman R is faster there as well.
When I drove the 1M it reminded me of my Z4M coupe...with DSC off, its def a car you need to be paying attention to what youre doing because its a bit of a handful. Fun, but a handful.
See the Porsche and lotus are great cars but 2 seats and no trunk.... But I guess there is a car for everyone. The 1M does what the the others do better and cheaper. The 2 other cars around a track aren't that much quicker too.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Jezzas praise alone will shift 3000 units for BMW so they should probably give him one.
      06-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

All of your comments are accurate. THe porsche and lotus do provide a more precise feel and surgical accuracy. They are better cars than the 1M.

The thing you are forgetting is what M cars were usually about. They were never as accurate or precise or even faster than their rivals, but they offered a better (read: more enjoyable) driving experience than their rivals.

So you are right, those other cars are superior, but the 1M gives a better experience - 50/50 weight balance, practicality of the 2 rear seats and boot, and the fact that M has been doing it right for the past 20 some odd years.

Quote:
First of all, the Cayman has 2 trunks and they provide a lot of space.

Sorry, but the 1M doesnt handle or feel anywhere close to the way a Porsche or Lotus feels. Other than the Evora S (driven the evora), I have driven all of them, and the 1M cannto touch the feel or precision the other two cars have, not can it match the sound or character of them. And yes, the Cayman R is a good amount faster around the track. All the evidence points to the fact that the Cayman R is significantly faster than the 1M.

Why is the cayman R ~2 seconds faster on Hockenheim than the 1M if they 'arent that much quicker'? 2 seconds on a short lap like that is absolutely embarassing the 1M. The Cayman R Ive heard did 7:57 on the ring where the 1M is 8:15, again not even close.

Its ok if you cant afford a Cayman R or Lotus (or whether you like the look or not), but your arguement of 'they look girly' is about as piss poor as you can get. The 1M is straight up ugly (AND looks like a chicks car) compared to the Cayman R or Lotus.

It sounds like youre more of a straight line speed guy than a track/handling/precision guy, but take your future 1M to a track for a 30 min session down there in the hot, humid florida weather and tell me how long you go before you go into limp mode or start losing power due to overheating.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
So you are right, those other cars are superior, but the 1M gives a better experience - 50/50 weight balance, practicality of the 2 rear seats and boot, and the fact that M has been doing it right for the past 20 some odd years.
Let it go. I showed some of shift@red's Porsche posts to a friend of mine in the Taliban and he said "Wow - that guy's a bit of a fanatic, isn't he?"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

It would a fun addition for a weekend car. Just like any good small and lightweight car would be. The idea of more room in the 1M doesn't mean much to me since I could never live with this car as a daily driver. So that said, I'd personally want a true sports car as a weekender. Something more unique and interesting historically and design-wise, etc.. In other words, all of those intangibles that aren't only about performance.

But it's still a great little car for fun. And it should be very profitable since BMW wisely used parts they already had in their parts bins. That said, it's no doubt way over priced for what you're really getting. But one could say that about a lot of current cars these days...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Sorry, but the 1M doesnt handle or feel anywhere close to the way a Porsche or Lotus feels. Other than the Evora S (driven the evora), I have driven all of them, and the 1M cannto touch the feel or precision the other two cars have, not can it match the sound or character of them. And yes, the Cayman R is a good amount faster around the track. All the evidence points to the fact that the Cayman R is significantly faster than the 1M.

Why is the cayman R ~2 seconds faster on Hockenheim than the 1M if they 'arent that much quicker'? 2 seconds on a short lap like that is absolutely embarassing the 1M. The Cayman R Ive heard did 7:57 on the ring where the 1M is 8:15, again not even close.

Its ok if you cant afford a Cayman R or Lotus (or whether you like the look or not), but your arguement of 'they look girly' is about as piss poor as you can get. The 1M is straight up ugly (AND looks like a chicks car) compared to the Cayman R or Lotus.

It sounds like youre more of a straight line speed guy than a track/handling/precision guy, but take your future 1M to a track for a 30 min session down there in the hot, humid florida weather and tell me how long you go before you go into limp mode or start losing power due to overheating.
Just a young 22 year old who has enough $$ for the car but not enough to properly track it..

The 1M has a real trunk. I have seen the cayman it's a joke. (When it comes to trunk space. It felt very solid.

I do know the 1M is not tracked a lot because of heat problems. But the price gap is big for the 1M and the Porsche, and don't even get me started about the lotus. But like I said there is a car out there for everyone and I am glad to see how well it turned out. Every time I see it I just do this...

How can you say the cayman doesn't look like a chicks car..??. You're not one of those people who are pissed that a car that costs 15 ta 20k less than your M3 can keep up with it are you?

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Just a young 22 year old who has enough $$ for the car but not enough to properly track it..

The 1M has a real trunk. I have seen the cayman it's a joke. (When it comes to trunk space. It felt very solid.

I do know the 1M is not tracked a lot because of heat problems. But the price gap is big for the 1M and the Porsche, and don't even get me started about the lotus. But like I said there is a car out there for everyone and I am glad to see how well it turned out. Every time I see it I just do this...

How can you say the cayman doesn't look like a chicks car..??. You're not one of those people who are pissed that a car that costs 15 ta 20k less than your M3 can keep up with it are you?
The base 1 series is most definitely feminine (including the 135) but the 1M isn't - it's very ungainly front end is all over the place. The Cayman is sleeker and sexier from every angle but that doesn't necessarily make it feminine. And the E90/2 M3 is faster than the 1M. Fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Can we have a decent car discussion without pissing on other people's cars? Focus on the positives and not the negatives. Quit being bitches
      06-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:

Pretty much the only reason you buy a Cayman is cause you cant afford a 911 right?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

There was a quick shot of Cayman and Evora towards the end of the video, showing them with doors and trunk lids open like the iconic shots of F40 and Diablos back in the 80s, that pretty much sold me. They aren't quite exotic level but there are so much similarities with the no compromise spirit.

1M is too domesticated for me.