E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Considering a Viper Security System, Fortin?

01-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
Either way im going to do a full write up on this. in theory it looks like a pretty simple install
Very cool, thanks.

Quote:

so tap CAN wires, find a positive wire, find a ground point, and cut break wires. Doesnt seem too hard
yeah, it seems fairly straightforward.
      02-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
benjimatt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Eww I Guess I forgot how many wires this is going to take :-(
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Josh5442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 RAM

Did you get the wiring diagram yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh5442 View Post
Did you get the wiring diagram yet?
I get home in a couple hours so im going to try the wiring diagram that I made on the first page and see if that works. Right now im trying to think of a route to get power from the battery to the front of the car. i may use the bcm power but idk
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Josh5442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I can help with wire color/location - just let me know. No need to go to the battery for this system...

red/green (50A), red/purple (50A)
FRM, 51 pin plug (X14260), pin 2; 51 pin plug (X14261), pin 34
The FRM (Footwell Module) is in the driver kick.

Dual 50A in the kick!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
I can help with wire color/location - just let me know. No need to go to the battery for this system...

red/green (50A), red/purple (50A)
FRM, 51 pin plug (X14260), pin 2; 51 pin plug (X14261), pin 34
The FRM (Footwell Module) is in the driver kick.

Dual 50A in the kick!
Is the red/green for power in the driver kick as well??. i think the can wires are there also. Im about to start the installation in a second
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Josh5442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is the red/green for power in the driver kick as well??. i think the can wires are there also. Im about to start the installation in a second
Yes - there should be those colors in the driver's kick. If not I'm sure you can snag a thick power wire under the driver's dash somewhere - I was able to find quite a few in my e92. Can wires are definitely there - you can grab those at the OBDII plug (usually a twisted pair).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
benjimatt
Private
Rep

ahhhh!!!!!! This is not fun :-( I think i just picked a wrong day to do this.

SO here we go. my status so far.

right now nothing on the evo-can. is working properly. it seems like it is just not recognizing anything :-(

the int-bmw2 is interesting. I got the key and barrel wires connected first. and i plugged the batter back to the car to make sure it still started and it did :-) Then I cut the brake wires and hooked all of that up and tried starting it and it started again :-)

weird thing is that when I have the car on and I press the lock button on the clifford remote it turns the car off. I know that the unlock button is connected to the int-bmw2 so I figured i know that part is working.

When i try to do the remote start I get 7 clicks from the clifford box. Im going to have to look in the manual and see what this means. This may be able to get fixed.

The only thing I can think of that is wrong with the EVO-CAN is that the firmware is 4.4.00 and the int-bmw2 says it needs to be 4.4.02 but the only thing i see in the notes is the handbrake enhancement and thats it!@!! All the evo-can does is keep blinking. It says you dont have to program it but IDK...

Maybe I need to do my CAN wires over again?????? They seem fine to me though......
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
benjimatt
Private
Rep

BTW out of the wires that go to the car. The only difficult one access was the brake wires. those rewally sucked dealing with especially if you are bad at stripping wires like me
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #32
benjimatt
Private
Rep

went over to the 12v forums and they told me i did have to program the evo-can. after programing things are starting to work

I guess our cars require a double pulse for the car to unlock and a single pulse to lock so I had to program this to the clifford unit.

So far the lock and unlock work and the trunk open is also working.

only thing that I need to check is the door status thing because when I unlock the door the lights wont turn on. well they have a couple times but i need it to work all of the time.

oh and I still havent got remote start working just yet. It was clicking 7 ties so I changed it to automatic mode then it started clicking 8 times and I grounded the neutral safty wire but still nothing.....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
oh and I still havent got remote start working just yet. It was clicking 7 ties so I changed it to automatic mode then it started clicking 8 times and I grounded the neutral safty wire but still nothing.....
Did you run through the tach learn procedure?
      02-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #34
Josh5442
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
went over to the 12v forums and they told me i did have to program the evo-can. after programing things are starting to work

I guess our cars require a double pulse for the car to unlock and a single pulse to lock so I had to program this to the clifford unit.

So far the lock and unlock work and the trunk open is also working.

only thing that I need to check is the door status thing because when I unlock the door the lights wont turn on. well they have a couple times but i need it to work all of the time.

Did you plug in the on/off switch?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #35
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Just doing some late night researching and correct me if I'm wrong but if I were to use a Viper alarm, DLPK, and KIBMW wouldnt that eliminate almost all wiring since they all have d2D. If so that would mean the only real connections would be power, ground, CAN, and brake wires then of course the siren. That said I could be completely wrong which is why I ask. The wiring seems fairly straightforward but if there is an easier way I'd prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
Did you run through the tach learn procedure?
Im gonig to do this. another person on the 12v forums said to do this also. guess i forgot
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #37
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did you plug in the on/off switch?
yeah its plugged in , going to do the learn tach thing today though
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Just doing some late night researching and correct me if I'm wrong but if I were to use a Viper alarm, DLPK, and KIBMW wouldnt that eliminate almost all wiring since they all have d2D. If so that would mean the only real connections would be power, ground, CAN, and brake wires then of course the siren. That said I could be completely wrong which is why I ask. The wiring seems fairly straightforward but if there is an easier way I'd prefer it.
i didn't install mine, but i have a clifford 590.2X and i know that DLPK, KIBMW, and the old module with the ignition ring wiring for the key were used. I had to install one of my keys in the module.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #39
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
you are exactly right lol. the only reason i didnt do mine this way is because the int-bmw2 allows you to not have to use your key to drive. and i have always wanted that feature on my e90
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #40
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
you are exactly right lol. the only reason i didnt do mine this way is because the int-bmw2 allows you to not have to use your key to drive. and i have always wanted that feature on my e90
Seems very simple I am probably going to be doing this in the next few weeks. I think I am going with the viper 5901 I like that the remote can be set to vibrate or make a sound when the alarm goes off. Would it be possible to use d2d between the dlpk and alarm while wiring the int-bmw2 or would everything have to be wired. Not having to use the key does sound like a good thing because I dont like carrying arround 2 keyfobs. I am assuming that youd have to use the remote starter every time?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Pretty sure I posted exactly that to this thread a week ago...?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Seems very simple I am probably going to be doing this in the next few weeks. I think I am going with the viper 5901 I like that the remote can be set to vibrate or make a sound when the alarm goes off. Would it be possible to use d2d between the dlpk and alarm while wiring the int-bmw2 or would everything have to be wired. Not having to use the key does sound like a good thing because I dont like carrying arround 2 keyfobs. I am assuming that youd have to use the remote starter every time?
Yeah I think you have to use the remote start if you want to use no key. And no you caNT use the dlpk and int-BMW 2 together because they use two different transfer protocols.

If you want to use the int-bmw2 with the evo-can and use few wires then you need to find an alarm that uses the Fortin data link protocol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
benjimatt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Pretty sure I posted exactly that to this thread a week ago...?
Yes you did lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #44
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Yes you did lol
Just making sure this thing was on...