E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > upgrading logic 7 speakers

12-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

upgrading logic 7 speakers

i have a 2008 335 cabrio, and have the logic 7 sound system.

i noticed that in europe (only?) they have a premium speaker upgrade for the logic 7 system.

i like the general quality of the sound system i have, but want a bit more.
because of the inherent logic 7 system design, have read that it is very hard to upgrade this sound system...

maybe better speakers would help? anyone have this bmw speaker upgrade, or other aftermarket speaker upgrade?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

When I used to work at a stereo store years ago, we'd have a BMW come in every now and then. For the most part, factory BMW speaker always had a weird impedance rating (not the norm or 4 or 8 ohms), which made them hard to replace with an aftermarket speaker.

What you could do is take one out and look on the back of the speaker. Most times there will be a sticker giving the power rating of the speaker and the impedance rating. If you're absolutely set on replacing them, you will have to have that information first.

Could it be that you're just lacking bass, or are you unsatisfied with the midrange and high frequencies also? IIRC, I've seen subwoofers/amps added to the factory system, but keep in mind that you'll lose trunk space.

HTH.
      12-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
When I used to work at a stereo store years ago, we'd have a BMW come in every now and then. For the most part, factory BMW speaker always had a weird impedance rating (not the norm or 4 or 8 ohms), which made them hard to replace with an aftermarket speaker.

What you could do is take one out and look on the back of the speaker. Most times there will be a sticker giving the power rating of the speaker and the impedance rating. If you're absolutely set on replacing them, you will have to have that information first.

Could it be that you're just lacking bass, or are you unsatisfied with the midrange and high frequencies also? IIRC, I've seen subwoofers/amps added to the factory system, but keep in mind that you'll lose trunk space.

HTH.
cannot say exactly where the logic 7 is lacking. i just always know "perfect" sound when i hear it. i have high end stuff in my home, and 20 years ago i got addicted to sound when i had a custom set up of 12 speakers and nakamichi mobile amps, etc. in a 911.

if i were to guess, maybe it is lacking the PUNCH u get with high powered amps. i do not remember what the logic 7 amps put out, but maybe that is where the system is lacking. generally speaking, the bass seems o.k. and since i have a cabrio, i already have too little trunk space with the top down. problem is that i read that because of the way the logic 7 is configured, it is immpossible to tweak the actual system any - if at all.

lastly i read in a thread somewhere that the bmw supplied speakers have wierd "electronic" specs to hide their medioce speaker quaility. i do not know if this is true, but u yourself say that the bmw speakers have wierd impedence specs.

although the music in my car is pretty damn good (with CDs of course), i know it could be better. it is just like my motor ... originally it WAS pretty damn good. but after fiddling with it some (in other words some $$$ mods), it is much better now LOL.

any insight in music upgrade for my logic 7 system would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by midlife; 12-15-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
cannot say exactly where the logic 7 is lacking. i just always know "perfect" sound when i hear it. i have high end stuff in my home, and 20 years ago i got addicted to sound when i had a custom set up of 12 speakers and nakamichi mobile amps, etc. in a 911.

if i were to guess, maybe it is lacking the PUNCH u get with high powered amps. i do not remember what the logic 7 amps put out, but maybe that is where the system is lacking. generally speaking, the bass seems o.k. and since i have a cabrio, i already have too little trunk space with the top down. problem is that i read that because of the way the logic 7 is configured, it is immpossible to tweak the actual system any - if at all.

lastly i read in a thread somewhere that the bmw supplied speakers have wierd "electronic" specs to hide their medioce speaker quaility. i do not know if this is true, but u yourself say that the bmw speakers have wierd impedence specs.

although the music in my car is pretty damn good (with CDs of course), i know it could be better. it is just like my motor ... originally it WAS pretty damn good. but after fiddling with it some (in other words some $$$ mods), it is much better now LOL.

any insight in music upgrade for my logic 7 system would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
All my audio shops in my area told me not to upgrade speakers. Too much trouble and money. Looking at over $5k.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I am having all the speakers updated next weekend:
http://www.alpit.co.jp/BMW/speaker/E90/index.htm

Apparently the speakers are of very low quality (logic 7 is better, but still not audiophile). I found this shop that has custom designed drivers for BMW. The speakers are made bay Arc (www.arcaudio.com) by his spec and the frequency response are calibrated for BMW interiors. I auditioned them and they sound very good. I also have a high end stereo at home (Arcam/B&W 800 series) and the Hifi stereo just drove me nuts (i know logic7 is better). They replace the speakers and 'tune' the two subwoofers where they replace the magnets and does some things with the paper and capacitors. he told me a bunch of mumbo jumbo in japanese which didn't understand. but the guy knew what he was talking about and was doing a full custom installed in a gutted Ferrari 599 so i can assume he knows his sh!t. also if i want to trade in my car later, its completely reversible.

Last edited by akhter; 12-16-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
I am having all the speakers updated next weekend:
http://www.alpit.co.jp/BMW/speaker/E90/index.htm

They replace the speakers and 'tune' the two subwoofers where they replace the magnets and does some things with the paper and capacitors. he told me a bunch of mumbo jumbo in japanese which didn't understand. but the guy new what he was talking about and was doing a full custom installed in a gutted Ferrari 599 so i can assume he knows his sh!t. also if i want to trade in my car later, its completely reversible.
thanks for the link, but it is mostly in japanese (including the prices).
when it is all said and done, what is the total cost to u in usd??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
fusionrace
Rogue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Garage List
2001 325i  [0.00]
1989 m3  [0.00]
1990 m3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Check out this company, the E46 guys have been using these guys for years.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah I'm waiting for their E90 speaker upgrade. ~ $700 for midrange + tweeters.. self install..

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionrace View Post
Check out this company, the E46 guys have been using these guys for years.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com
already contacted them, thanks
Appreciate 0