E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

02-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #749
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Maybe it's one for BBC watchdog...not sure if Trading Standard would take any notice though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #750
ghost_rider
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 320i 2010 European

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #751
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Mine has had a coil replaced under warranty but is still like a bag o nails around the 1800-2000 rev mark.
Last night I also noticed a smell of hot oil but wasn't sure if it was coming from another car in traffic, it happened on 2 seperate occasions. Is this my car do you think ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #752
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySi View Post
Well, i've had 1 4cyl which kicked at motorway speeds frequently. It had numerous coils, plugs etc but was never rectified. It never misfired fully, or had an eml light. After doing a compression test we found cyl3 slightly low. This cyl was very slightly scored and therefore a replacement block, pistons were fitted. Although this has cured that problem, it is only a matter of time before another misfire will occur due to how the N43 and N53 engines are. Please bear in mind the large number of these sold, and to have only 1 car this bad is not bad going. Look at Si's, mine has done 33k on 3 engines, and i am not alone!
I'm now worried, my 318i has had numerous coils, injectors, plugs. It's never had an eml light but it still misfires the odd time on the motorway and a lot while idling. It does improve a bit for about a month after each coil/injector/plug is replaced but then seems to deteriorate again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #753
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep
Drives: BMW

Could be the fuel grade you use? BMW's hate supermarket fuel. This will block the NoX catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #754
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Mine lived on v-power and still developed symptoms.

It's not unreasonable to expect your car to survive on any commercially available fuel within the specs, it's not like the handbook specifies brands to avoid.
      02-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #755
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySi View Post
Could be the fuel grade you use? BMW's hate supermarket fuel. This will block the NoX catalyst.
Sorry, but this is a myth. The fuel you use has no effect. Using V Power or equivalent will not help you avoid problems which are inherent to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #756
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone considered building up a case and taking legal actions be it with the Trading Standards or BBC Watchdog? Surely BMW will take notice when it says "People vs BMW UK" on the headlines. Any one with legal background on here?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #757
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Sorry, but this is a myth. The fuel you use has no effect. Using V Power or equivalent will not help you avoid problems which are inherent to the engine.
+1

Agree with this, I did try BP Ultimate for a while but it didn't make any difference at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #758
st3v3n
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty78 View Post
Maybe it's one for BBC watchdog...not sure if Trading Standard would take any notice though.
Think this is worth a shot. They have run stories on the BMW alloy wheels before and Renault Clio bonnets and forced action from the manfacturers.

We should all submit the problem via the Watchdog site: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #759
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3n View Post
Think this is worth a shot. They have run stories on the BMW alloy wheels before and Renault Clio bonnets and forced action from the manfacturers.

We should all submit the problem via the Watchdog site: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory
Hi..i am a bit surprise that this thread hasn't been picked up by someone from BMW UK. I think we should write a letter to BMW UK first and take it from there. If no action is taken by them, i think it might be a good idea to forward this link to BBC Watchdog
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #760
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty78 View Post
Hi..i am a bit surprise that this thread hasn't been picked up by someone from BMW UK. I think we should write a letter to BMW UK first and take it from there. If no action is taken by them, i think it might be a good idea to forward this link to BBC Watchdog
I doubt they'd be interested. One big difference between these engine problems and cracked wheels is that, whatever BMW may say, once a wheel is cracked it is undeniably cracked. BMW might argue over whose fault that is, but they cannot deny a crack. The engine problems are intermittent, and hard to prove - that's the key. I went through the whole cycle with my local dealer - at first they told me they had fixed it, then they told me they would definitely fix it, then they told me there was no problem to fix, etc. When I suggested to the vending dealer that I might take legal action, they basically said, great, let's see who wins that long, expensive fight.

Only in hindsight will these problems be acknowledged. In a way, you can't really blame BMW, since teh cost of admitting to these problems would be huge. But what about these car mags and TV shows etc.? They basically act as advertisements for cars and aren't interested in getting their hands dirty with complex, unpleasant matters like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #761
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I doubt they'd be interested. One big difference between these engine problems and cracked wheels is that, whatever BMW may say, once a wheel is cracked it is undeniably cracked. BMW might argue over whose fault that is, but they cannot deny a crack. The engine problems are intermittent, and hard to prove - that's the key. I went through the whole cycle with my local dealer - at first they told me they had fixed it, then they told me they would definitely fix it, then they told me there was no problem to fix, etc. When I suggested to the vending dealer that I might take legal action, they basically said, great, let's see who wins that long, expensive fight.

Only in hindsight will these problems be acknowledged. In a way, you can't really blame BMW, since teh cost of admitting to these problems would be huge. But what about these car mags and TV shows etc.? They basically act as advertisements for cars and aren't interested in getting their hands dirty with complex, unpleasant matters like this.
You have a very good point..thanks for sharing..guess i will just have to buy the extended warranty and take it from there
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #762
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

well after nearly 1 year of ownership-anniversary in 2 days actually- and 10k miles I am sitting at the side of the road waiting for bmw assist to come and get me.

I posted on this very thread before I bought it and thought they were isolated and wouldn't happen to me-indeed i have been quietly confident my car was not going to suffer the problems many have had as every mile has been trouble free until this minute. I am totally pissed off that I didn't heed the warnings.

i urge anyone thinking of a 320i at this moment to look elsewhere- do yourself a favour.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #763
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

You could make a start reviewing your cars on websites such as what car, auto express, autotrader etc - At least would put off potential buyers

Last edited by COLSEN; 03-03-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #764
my alias
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport Convertible

Bounty 78, thanks for pointing me in this direction from another BMW forum. I thought it wise of me though to change my username, especially given what looks like some forthcoming cooperation from BMW........I wouldnt want to forego it would I.

In a nutshell for others here, I've had all four ignition coils replaced on my 320i twice in the period of 12 months. All work has been done under warranty, however the problems remain and I have subsequently asked to be provided a replacement car.

Initially BMW treated this almost like a trade-in, but I maintained my position and told them I would not pay a penny towards finding myself in another car.

Eventually the franchise backed down and have now showed willing in bridging part of the financil gap between the value of mine and a proposed car. And eventhough BMW UK steadfastly refused to come to the party, they have now moved from their position and have likwise confirmed that they will assist financially to finding me a solution. This wasnt easy, but with a lot of persistence, emails, phonecalls, suprise showings at the Managers Office, and basically proving a nuisance to them, it appears they've submitted.

Thats the good news, the bad news is that I now await a suitable replacement vehicle from them. I'd like that to be today, but I have to be realistic. I've asked for a 320d or 325 or 330 petrol engine in replacement, and the specification must be a minimum the same as my current car. Oh, and from their perspective the car would also have similar mileage to mine. So in reality I expect this to take a few weeks to find.

So, for those out there who are planning on extending warranties, get complaining more, speak to Consumer Direct, take a look at the Sales of Goods Act, and have yourself armed with some of the key facts from both. Keep paper trails of your complaints, even if that means penning an email to summarise phonecalls. Basically prove a pest to BMW.

I firmly believe I'm now on the road to some joy out of BMW. But like I said on another forum, should I not get any joy out of BMW, then I will pursue other means towards getting a result!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #765
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
^^ welcome to the forum mate And i am glad you got yours sorted..hope you will enjoy your replacement car. I haven't bought my car from the dealer's BMW AUC, so i don't think what you have suggested would work for me
My only other option is to take out the BMW extended warranty

Oh btw..your best bet would be 6 cylinders..even the 320D has problems with blown turbo

Last edited by bounty78; 03-03-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #766
oily73
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 320i (pre ED)

Hi all, this is my 1st post here and I wish I had seen this post before Xmas!

Basically I used to own a Mondeo TDCI ST (until diesel pump and injectors decided to pack up @ a cost of near 3,000...not bad for a 40,000 mile car..another story). Anyhow back in Jan I picked up a 57 plate E91 320i but this is a pre ED (I must say, apart from the missing torq I am loving the car). As of yet I am not experiencing any of the problems mentioned here but reading this is making worry that my time will come. The question I have, (and I apologise if this has been covered in this thread and I missed it), is this problem mainly/only affecting ED engines or is this accross the board. If it is accross the board where would I stand with regards to BMWUK as I bought the car from a Ford main dealer.

Should I take it in to get a BMW service asap to keep me covered?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #767
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oily73 View Post
Hi all, this is my 1st post here and I wish I had seen this post before Xmas!

Basically I used to own a Mondeo TDCI ST (until diesel pump and injectors decided to pack up @ a cost of near 3,000...not bad for a 40,000 mile car..another story). Anyhow back in Jan I picked up a 57 plate E91 320i but this is a pre ED (I must say, apart from the missing torq I am loving the car). As of yet I am not experiencing any of the problems mentioned here but reading this is making worry that my time will come. The question I have, (and I apologise if this has been covered in this thread and I missed it), is this problem mainly/only affecting ED engines or is this accross the board. If it is accross the board where would I stand with regards to BMWUK as I bought the car from a Ford main dealer.

Should I take it in to get a BMW service asap to keep me covered?
Hello. These problems affect both pre-ED and ED models. AT the time I bought my ED 318i, I was aware of this thread, and even spoke to a well-known participant, who told me that, so far as anyone knew at that time, the problems did not occur in ED models. Not the guy's fault - he was right, at that time it hadn't been established that the problems existed on the new ED models - but this was another factor leading to me insisting on getting an ED model, and thus spending a lot of money. It turned out to be my biggest mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #768
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my alias View Post
Bounty 78, thanks for pointing me in this direction from another BMW forum. I thought it wise of me though to change my username, especially given what looks like some forthcoming cooperation from BMW........I wouldnt want to forego it would I.

In a nutshell for others here, I've had all four ignition coils replaced on my 320i twice in the period of 12 months. All work has been done under warranty, however the problems remain and I have subsequently asked to be provided a replacement car.

Initially BMW treated this almost like a trade-in, but I maintained my position and told them I would not pay a penny towards finding myself in another car.

Eventually the franchise backed down and have now showed willing in bridging part of the financil gap between the value of mine and a proposed car. And eventhough BMW UK steadfastly refused to come to the party, they have now moved from their position and have likwise confirmed that they will assist financially to finding me a solution. This wasnt easy, but with a lot of persistence, emails, phonecalls, suprise showings at the Managers Office, and basically proving a nuisance to them, it appears they've submitted.

Thats the good news, the bad news is that I now await a suitable replacement vehicle from them. I'd like that to be today, but I have to be realistic. I've asked for a 320d or 325 or 330 petrol engine in replacement, and the specification must be a minimum the same as my current car. Oh, and from their perspective the car would also have similar mileage to mine. So in reality I expect this to take a few weeks to find.

So, for those out there who are planning on extending warranties, get complaining more, speak to Consumer Direct, take a look at the Sales of Goods Act, and have yourself armed with some of the key facts from both. Keep paper trails of your complaints, even if that means penning an email to summarise phonecalls. Basically prove a pest to BMW.

I firmly believe I'm now on the road to some joy out of BMW. But like I said on another forum, should I not get any joy out of BMW, then I will pursue other means towards getting a result!

Well done. Sounds like you have put in a lot of effort and got pretty much the best result you could have expected. When I managed to get my dealer to accept their lemon back, of course they told me I would have to pay the difference in book prices to swap to another car. They did say they would swap me another 318i for no extra cost, but naturally they knew that wasn't what I wanted. I was faced with either getting a diesel, or moving up to the 'cheapest' 6 cylinder petrol, i.e. a 325i. I opted for as 320d. I suggested that, given the hassle and lost time - not to mention the few times I nearly got killed due to the car cutting out - they should split the difference with me, i.e. if it cost me £2,000 to swap to a 320d, I should only pay £1,000. Naturally, they scoffed at this.

I could have fought harder but time and stress and fatigue all play their part in wearing down your resistance. And the sheer unpleasantness of dealing with such nakedly crooked people - including, by the way, BMW Customer Service, whose name is pure Orwellian language - made me just want to end the whole sordid affair as quickly as possible. Eventually the dealer agreed to pay, I thing around £700 of the £2K. Plus provide me with a hire car in the meantime, which they never did. To add further insult, when they delivered my 320d it hadn't been washed or valeted. But f*ck it. The 320d turned out to be a far better car. Good luck with yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #769
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Quote:
To add further insult, when they delivered my 320d it hadn't been washed or valeted. But f*ck it. The 320d turned out to be a far better car. Good luck with yours.
That probably did you a favour
      03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #770
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

Well, I am in a good courtesy/hire car - which is great but the coils are on back order from the factory (surprise surprise) so will have to wait, with a £500 excess risk over my head in the meantime.

Thing is, and I have emails to prove it - I laboured the point regarding the problems with 320i engines with the sales person, the service tech and the sales manager - and all to a man said I wouldn't get these problems and it wasn't a known issue (obviously po faced lies) so now I am inclined to park it on their door step and get a new car out of them.

However, I would have expected that a lot more kit needed replacing - injectors, sparks, etc etc but this has not been mentioned and I am guessing if a fault doesn't throw, they don't change it...so I will have to break down 2 or 3 more times before it is all replaced...then break down again to prove it is all useless on a lemon engine....and in trading standards eyes I would only be able to kick up stink after BMW UK (or the dealer?) are given a chance to rectify the problems.

The supplying dealer aren't very local to me so naturally I have left it with one close to home. Should I get it to the supplying dealer asap or let another one handle it and still fight my corner? I also don't want 6 months of hassle, depreciation and extra cost to contend with before I get to where I want to be - in an equivalent car with exact same or better spec, with a different engine.

Any thoughts on this?

P.s. I would be grateful if the chap "my alias" who is having luck with BMW would be happy enogh to PM me to discuss finer details.
Appreciate 0