E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

03-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #771
my alias
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport Convertible

CoopersE90........you're pretty spot on about how often and how bad things need to get before you get any sign of a replacement vehicle from BMW.

So before I explain how it looks like I'm at last progressing in the right direction with BMW, I thought it worth giving you a brief chronology first.

Bought 57 plate 320i M-sport convertible December 2009

Visit 1 - March 2010
New oxygen sensor
New Ignition coil to cylinder 4
Software update

Visit 2 - June 2010
New Ignition coil to cylinder 2
New injector to cylinder 2

Visit 3 - August 2010
New ignition coils to cylinders 1 and 3

Visit 4 - December 2010
New plugs to cylinders 1,2,3,4
New ignition coil to cylinders 1,2,3,4
New injectors to cylinders 1,2,3,4

Visit 5 - December 2010
No work done; denies any issues

Visit 6 - January 2011
No work done; denies any issues
Nice cup of latte

Visit 7 - February 2011
Another nice latte
An hour spent with Dealer Principle arguing the toss

So, as you can see things need to get to a pretty low point before BMW will come to the party.

As mentioned it looks like I'm progressing with BMW, with seemingly the franchise willing to forego profit on a vehicle, while both the franchise and BMW UK both compensating me for the issues by way of bridging the monetary gap between my car and a similar replacement 325. All sounds good, but lets keep watching this space.

I'll look out for you online, and I'll tell you more then.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #772
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

Thank you for that alias, I apprecaite you taking the effort to give the chronology of woes - need to know what I am up against!

A year before ANY sign of movement is not good, and does not bode well. In all that time my car will be depreciating like a stone. I will have to consider my strategy - either play hard game now and get the ball rolling or give them a chance (allbeit a small, short lived, ultimatley futile one?)

Will keep an eye out for your progress and hope things finally get sorted for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #773
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Right chaps, my posts on rejecting my E92 320i are back in this thread somewhere and also separately in this technical forum.
Apologies if you've read them but basically, I kept a detailed diary of the issues and typed it up.
Sent to dealer principal, BMW HQ and BMW Finance.
Now mine had other issues too (three steering racks for instance...) and as I bought on BMW Finance I'd obviously got them involved too.
I was almost immediately offered a goodwill payment from BMW to shift car, but the dealer was a bit of an arse - not really willing to source cars except their own stock etc.
Kept plugging away at BMW and goodwill payment almost doubled... but dealer still remained a bit of a cock.
Eventually went for one they had in stock as I was sick of the whole thing.

Took me the thick end of three months from notification of rejection to accepting alternative vehicle and that was because I basically caved on the alternative....

Keep plugging away, don't settle too early, involve everyone you can, record everything and check your rights if you bought on finance (probably saved me!).

I really feel for you guys, having been through this and wish you the best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #774
my alias
Rep

E92Westy, you're a man after my own heart!

It looks like I'm one step back to where you currently find yourself. The whole episode becomes tiresome, but likewise it becomes a challenge; a challenge that I cant resist. As we all know these motors have inherent problems, and although BMW wont readily admit it, in their heart of hearts they all know the facts. So why there's so many people here who have so easily accepted defeat I dont know.

Like you I've kept a record of all of the issues, all the phonecalls, all of the inconvenience, and I've spoken to Consumer Direct about my rights regarding the purchase of a second hand car. I've also written to BMW UK and the franchise company, and basically I've just made them aware of the problems and how this contravenes the Sales of Goods Act. I've also (politely) threatened legal action, which at first they quaffed at on the basis that it wouldnt make financial sense for me, but once I told them it would be a group action between myself and another 100 cohorts, well the Manager nearly spat his coffee out!

So to be in the position I'm in now, although tiresome, it has truly been worth every effort. I'm now in weekly contact with the Dealer Principle of the Franchise, who has his staff looking to source me a new motor, which of course will come with a warranty. The franchise are coming to the party to fund the monetary gap between mine and the proposed car, and late last week BMW UK backed down and have likewise committed to providing financial recompense to assist the franchise in funding this new motor.

So E92Westy. It looks like you're one step ahead of me, already in your new motor, all I'm waiting for now is a suitable one for me to come along. And hopefully with the arrival of the '11 plates, there may be some used cars returning while those more fortunate can afford the new models.

My next call to the franchise will be tomorrow (a week after my last call). I'll be pressing the urgency, and being reasonable, while maintaining my tough stance I expect a replacement car by the end of March.

I'll keep my progress updated here, but to all other sufferers you must not accept defeat. As E92Westy says, keep a log of all issues, know your stuff, and don't give up.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #775
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

My Alias, well done. I would be very interested in doing this as well as I am one the first stage of this having just had a coil replaced on my E93. The car is a AUC and will be out of warranty in July so I need to get going.
Can yo pm please with a quick timeline and the brief detail of who you wrote to and the best things to say.
My car was bought from Lloyds in Colne but the work has been done at Williams in Bolton so who should I aim at ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #776
my alias
Rep

Jotty, apparently I need to have 5 posts up here, and then wait 24 hours before being accepted for PM.

If you have MSN, can chat there on mwlor@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #777
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my alias View Post
Jotty, apparently I need to have 5 posts up here, and then wait 24 hours before being accepted for PM.

If you have MSN, can chat there on mwlor@hotmail.com
Sorry dont have MSN, your reply to this should be the 5th and I dont mind waiting.
Got a feeling you may become the "expert" for a few on here

Mods - Is this worth a sticky for info if MY ALIAS is willing to share ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #778
my alias
Rep

Mods? Sticky? As you can see I'm not too familiar with forum jargon, but I'm a stickler for complaints and getting justice so I'm only too willing to share more of my story with the countless 3 series sufferers.

Give it 24 hours and we'll be able to share more then. But if you take a look back over the last week or so, you'll see more of my story there, the countless visits I've had to BMW, and the slow but eventual success it looks like I'm having.

Again I'll reiterate that things are looking promising for me, but the final result is yet to be had. Nonetheless I'm more than willing to share my story further.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #779
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by my alias View Post
Mods? Sticky? As you can see I'm not too familiar with forum jargon, but I'm a stickler for complaints and getting justice so I'm only too willing to share more of my story with the countless 3 series sufferers.

Give it 24 hours and we'll be able to share more then. But if you take a look back over the last week or so, you'll see more of my story there, the countless visits I've had to BMW, and the slow but eventual success it looks like I'm having.

Again I'll reiterate that things are looking promising for me, but the final result is yet to be had. Nonetheless I'm more than willing to share my story further.
Thanks, just had a read through and it makes very interesting points.
I am a bit of an stubborn soul myself having sued and got money back from banks etc so am willing to support any battle we may have.

The mods bit is a note for site moderators who I think should consider posting your story and advice at the top of this list on its own as an info sheet for anyone else, this way we are all singing from the same sheet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #780
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

My Alias, one quick question if you don't mind - at what point did you start pursuing a new car from BMW?

Was it from the point of the first coil pack being replaced or when you had a complete new ignition system and still no joy?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #781
my alias
Rep

@Coopers E90........

The last work done on the car was back in December 2010, a few weeks prior to the warranty expiring. Within a few days of the wholesale replacement of four coils, four injectors and four spark plugs, the car began to misfire once again. I brought the car back and left it with the franchise, but unfortunately they informed me that they couldnt read any misfires from their diagnostics machine.

I argued the toss, and admittedly half heartedly demanded a replacement car. The Dealer Principle told me the time wasnt ideal for replacement, but if and when the car misfired next time, to bring it in to demonstrate to them so that the mechanic can experience it for himself. As we're all aware however the tempramental misfiring doesnt happen when you want it to.

In early January I decided to call the MD of the Franchise, who like the other franchise staff was extremely helpful. Again I mentioned a replacement car, but was told that the timing wasnt ideal, just after Christmas, that stock would be low.

Anyway, although the misfiring had become less frequent, the drive of the car was gettting worse. I dont know if your cars suffer the same, but even if not misfiring, upon gearchanging the car jerks, seemingly from some sort of fuel delivery, spark, injection. (I dont know as I'm not a mechanic, but thats what it feels like). And this constant jerky of the car, was, believe it or not starting to give me motion sickness.

By the beginning of February I decided enough was enough, and that's when I thought it was time that my half hearted approach for a replacement vehicle should be pressed a little more forcefully. I wrote to BMW UK and the franchise on 8th February, providing chapter and verse of the incidents and my demand for the new car.

So we're now 5 weeks on, and although no replacement yet, I have to be a realist and give them the opportunity to find the right car.

The quick answer to your question........I started pursuing a replacement car a couple of months after all four coils and injectors had been replaced twice.

Again, anything further you need to assist or advise, then dont hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #782
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm taking mine in tomorrow as its due an oil service. I did mention to the staff that it was still very jerky arounfd the 1800 rev mark and they didn't seem surprised but promised to look at it again, I had a coil changed last month by them.

Just so I dont sound like a moron, is the jerking the same symptom and do other cars feel "nervous" when setting off from rest for example.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #783
Black Blade
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport Coupe

I bought my 320i M Sort Coupe in December 2008. It was a new car (just 5 miles on the clock) but pre-registered. The dealer had registered a range of cars and was offering them for sale at a discount in order to meet a sales target. I was absolutely delighted with it especially as I got an exceptional deal on it.

After about a month I felt something wasn't right as the fuel consumption was way off the manufacturer's claims. In town driving I was getting around 25 mpg and overall around 32 mpg; way adrift of BMW's claims of 44 mpg on the combined cycle. And I drive like a vicar! I put this down to the fact that the car was new and it was winter, plus I always leave the aircon switched on.

After about two months I noticed a flat spot between 1500 and 2000 rpm and this developed into what I can only describe as a misfire which caused the car to judder. When I'd had the car 3 months the offside headlight washer began to leak so I arranged for the car to to back to the dealers for this to be fixed. I mentioned the poor fuel consumption and the judder as well as the handbrake action which I wasn't happy about. When parking on a slope facing downhill I would apply the handbrake while I had my foot on the brake pedal, as you do. When the handbrake was applied I would take my foot off the brake and the car would roll about about 2 inches before coming to a stop. I therefore thought the handbrake needed adjustment.

The dealer fixed the leaking headlight washer and said that the handbrake action was normal - my car is a manual and "they all do that." They said there were no error codes picked up by the diagnostics and the low fuel consumption was down to the car being new. Re: the judder they suggested I try superunleaded fuel.

In the months following this visit I tried fuel from various companies including the high octane versions from Shell and BP which made no difference to the car. the judder continued.

After I'd had the car about 9 months the clutch began to judder when setting off uphill with a cold engine. After the engine had warmed up the clutch judder disappeared but would return when the engine was cold. I took the car back to the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I lived with these niggles for a few months before I decided to try a different dealer. They said the engine judder was down to a contaminated catalytic converter and after I admitted that the car was used mainly for town driving they suggested I give the car a run down the motorway for around 30 minutes to burn off the contaminants. The clutch judder they said was down to a warped pressure plate and promised to order a replacement. They then advised that this part was on back order and would take 2 months to source but would contact me when it arrived. I duly ran the car at 70 mph on the motorway for around 50 miles which made no difference to the judder/misfire between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

Two months later I called the dealer to enquire about the clutch pressure plate which they said had just arrived and they were about to call me. I took the car in pointing out that their advice to run the car down the motorway had not solved the judder/misfire problem. I also mentioned the fuel consumption which I felt was still worse than it should be at around 25 mpg urban and 32 mpg overall. After a day at the dealers a technician called me to report that my car was ready for collection. He advised that the clutch pressure plate had not been replaced as they felt that my car's clutch still needed to bed in (the car had done around 8000 mils at this point). They suggested that I run the car for a few more miles and see how things went. They also reported no faults on the car and could not account for the judder/misfire apart from repeating their original advice of run it down the motorway to burn off the contaminants.

By this time I had discovered this website and pointed out the problems reported by other 320i owners. The dealer's response to that was "don't believe everything you read on internet forums."

Rather foolishly I suppose I went away and continued to run the car which was no better. A couple of thousand miles later there was no improvement and my wife, who normally cannot detect car type problems, began to complain about these issues.

I was really disappointed because apart from the problems I have described here, I really loved the car. Everything else about it was good. Well made and a fantastic looking car.

In early january 2011 when it was just 2 years old I thought I'd give the leather seats a good clean and using Gliptone's "Liquid Leather" products brought the seats back to as new looking condition. After I'd finished I looked at the car which was washed and had recently had a coat of Swisswax, so it looked mint inside and out, and I just thought "I'm going to sell this car." Despite its fantastic looks and outstanding condition with just over 10,000 miles on the clock, I no longer enjoyed driving the car. I got sick and tired of the clutch judder on cold starts, the misfire/judder in the 1500 - 2000 rev range and the car rolling after the handbrake was applied.

I managed to sell the car to the dealer which couldn't resolve these faults and I think I got a good price. I didn't feel bad about letting it go and after reading the ongoing issues reported here I'm so glad I got rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #784
Bigfella76
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

AHHHHHH Crap! Wish I'd see this before and kept my trusty old E36 coupe a bit longer!

Just had mine 3 weeks now juddering!! Bought from nom BMW dealership with a warranty - after reading all these post could be a blessing in disguise......hopefully! Looks like a love hate relationship coming my way:-(
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #785
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

To be fair my dealers, Williams Bolton, have never questioned my problems just needed prompting and have just replaced all coils etc, think however you have to ask as BMW wont send out a complete recall post.

My impression is that they now recognise it as a problem and will act but without admitting the fault if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #786
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

Dear All, I am new to this forrum and looking for a bit of advice.

I have recently bought a 2007 E92 320i with about 28K on the clock. Love the car but wasn't to happy with a slight shuddering at idle. Took it to BMW who diagnosed a faulty oxygen sensor and replaced it, the idle is now fine. The only thing I have noticed is occasionaly at slower speeds I feel a very slight pull as if I've changed gear and not done a smooth job of it. Not experienced any limp mode or warning lights or serious juddering while trying to accelerate or any loss of power.

Also the injector / coil problems which people are having, what are the exact symptoms that could occur from the absolute obvious ones to the ones that you might not always notice.

Many Thanks

Also, I've started using V power 99 octane, as I read somewhere it can improve running. Does anybody know if it will improve the tickover sound as at idle it sounds more like a diesel!

Last edited by Mattstorm; 03-21-2011 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: additional information.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #787
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstorm View Post
Dear All, I am new to this forrum and looking for a bit of advice.

I have recently bought a 2007 E92 320i with about 28K on the clock. Love the car but wasn't to happy with a slight shuddering at idle. Took it to BMW who diagnosed a faulty oxygen sensor and replaced it, the idle is now fine. The only thing I have noticed is occasionaly at slower speeds I feel a very slight pull as if I've changed gear and not done a smooth job of it. Not experienced any limp mode or warning lights or serious juddering while trying to accelerate or any loss of power.

Also the injector / coil problems which people are having, what are the exact symptoms that could occur from the absolute obvious ones to the ones that you might not always notice.

Many Thanks

Also, I've started using V power 99 octane, as I read somewhere it can improve running. Does anybody know if it will improve the tickover sound as at idle it sounds more like a diesel!
You will notice a judder around the 1800 rev mark especially when changing down from 4th to 3rd or up 2nd to 3rd. Also with mine it felt hesitant at times when pulling out of junctions.
The petrol thing didn't make any difference to my problem.

I currently have a new 320i as a loan car (mine now waiting for new wheels !) and the difference is massive in my opinion so if you know anyone who has a newer car have a drive and see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #788
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply jotty.

What is this slight judder at 1800 rpm, it only does it very occasionly and apart from that I have no problems. I know that the previous owner did have the injectors replaced at some point.

Following your repairs has the symptoms completely gone or do you still get the odd blip. Mine has just been in for an o2 sensor and had full diagnostics and tests done and all that came up after the sensor was replaced was a code for the cat which was full and I was told to give it a blast at 70mph 4th gear for 30 mins to clear it out.

Why the new wheels? I'm tempted to get mine refurbed as they have a couple of marks on them!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #789
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstorm View Post
Thanks for the reply jotty.

What is this slight judder at 1800 rpm, it only does it very occasionly and apart from that I have no problems. I know that the previous owner did have the injectors replaced at some point.

Following your repairs has the symptoms completely gone or do you still get the odd blip. Mine has just been in for an o2 sensor and had full diagnostics and tests done and all that came up after the sensor was replaced was a code for the cat which was full and I was told to give it a blast at 70mph 4th gear for 30 mins to clear it out.

Why the new wheels? I'm tempted to get mine refurbed as they have a couple of marks on them!
There are plenty of better descriptions on this thread which may help but mine is a judder and a flat spot as though the engine was about to stall. I wouldn't be happy with "GIVING IT A BLAST" its a BMW not a 1970's Escort. If its done correctly the problem should be done as if the car is leaving the showroom.

The new wheels are a thread on the main UK forum due to a defect with 19inch alloys.

My advice is to take it into your dealers and get them to look at it properly, mine didn't question anything I have said so far.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #790
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm at that point unfortunately where you know its not quite right but its not faulting enough or with any frequency where I can get the dealer to see the problem and I know there are no fault codes stored. From reading this thread it appears when the coil or injector goes the symptoms are bad juddering, limp mode, no power etc... At the moment mine is perfect apart from this slight blip occasionally which the dealer said "monitor" as at the moment they can't diagnose a problem.

I find your issue at 1800rpm interesting as this slight blip I have had occurs around this RPM, not sure if this is linked to the injector problem or something else. What have BMW said to you regarding your issue following your oil service?

I think I will have to simply monitor mine and see what happens as the dealer suggested. It may develop into a more diagnosable fault or may not?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #791
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

My car is still with the dealers, they have done the oil service which was required anyway, and have replaced coils etc on the engine. I dont have exact details yet but the work took 2 days. As said they never really questioned my complaint and seemed to accept the problem existed.
I'm not saying the engine was running poorly, and had it not been for this forum I like you would have carried on thinking it was my driving style. However there is a problem that BMW are aware of so I suggest you let a dealer have a look, what have you got to lose really.

My car is currently waiting delivery of replacement wheels so I will report back, if and when, I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #792
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I need to take mine back in soon to have the code for the full cat converter reset following my manual clearout down the motorway. I'll ask them then if anything else is stored. They only repair off the back of the fault code system unless its obvious that there is a major problem after test driving it, so if no codes are there I will have to live with it I suppose until either a code comes up or the car starts behaving really badly to the extent the dealer will experience it themselves.

99.9% of the time the car drives perfect and when the glitch happens it last for about 0.1 seconds so its not affecting me to much.

I will be interested to know if your car jotty showed fault codes in the system which have led the dealer to replace coils or if they have had to perform extensive tests to come to the conclusion.

I think my next BMW will be diesel lol!
Appreciate 0