E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Switching from USB to Tuner...?

07-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Switching from USB to Tuner...?

I play my music files from a thumb drive connected to the USB cable in the center console.

Periodically it will abruptly switch from USB to Tuner mode. My theory is that the car's software is encountering a non-music file that it doesn't recognize and auto-changing over to the Tuner.

I looked thru the files on the drive and the only non-MP3/4/etc. file is LaunchU3.exe. Not sure what that does, but I'm guessing it helps the PC recognize the drive.

First question: Does my theory make sense?

Second: Will I permanently disable the drive if I delete the LaunchU3 file?

Thx for any help.
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Did you check to see whether it is the drive making bad contact?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
Did you check to see whether it is the drive making bad contact?
I did try wiggling the drive/cable connection. That didn't seem to help.
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
hyhoo0
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 YMB 6MT

If you still have your original vehicle software it is most likely this known issue: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B653007g.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyhoo0 View Post
If you still have your original vehicle software it is most likely this known issue: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B653007g.htm
I'm on 37.x.x so presumably that's not the fix, altho that TSB certainly describes the problem I'm having.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinship View Post
I play my music files from a thumb drive connected to the USB cable in the center console.

Periodically it will abruptly switch from USB to Tuner mode. My theory is that the car's software is encountering a non-music file that it doesn't recognize and auto-changing over to the Tuner.

I looked thru the files on the drive and the only non-MP3/4/etc. file is LaunchU3.exe. Not sure what that does, but I'm guessing it helps the PC recognize the drive.

First question: Does my theory make sense?

Second: Will I permanently disable the drive if I delete the LaunchU3 file?

Thx for any help.
u have a sandisk drive? its a program to sync files or something like that. there should be an option to uninstall the program from the usb drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhoang1988 View Post
u have a sandisk drive? its a program to sync files or something like that. there should be an option to uninstall the program from the usb drive.
Yes, it's a Sandisk "Cruzer" drive.

I could just delete that .exe file but I worry that it would make the drive unusable.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinship View Post
Yes, it's a Sandisk "Cruzer" drive.

I could just delete that .exe file but I worry that it would make the drive unusable.
Nah you will be fine. Most sticks come with some sort of proprietary software launcher. Best thing to do is format it clean from the beginning to avoid problems like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
acousticsig
Don't let up.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Don't mean to be off topic, but is it possible to use a portable 120Gb or 200GB HDD the same way that a flash drive is used? I'm currently using an 8GB USB drive and it works great. However I'd like to put all my music on there. Will any portable HDD work in the car, so that I can just leave it in the center console and play from it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticsig View Post
Don't mean to be off topic, but is it possible to use a portable 120Gb or 200GB HDD the same way that a flash drive is used? I'm currently using an 8GB USB drive and it works great. However I'd like to put all my music on there. Will any portable HDD work in the car, so that I can just leave it in the center console and play from it? Thanks.
Yes it is do-able. Search this forum as I believe it has been discussed in detail. From what I remember reading a while back the drive had to run at a certain voltage and rotation speed to work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

http://communities.sandisk.com/sandi...&thread.id=730

That U3 file you are seeing is some obnoxious software that Sandisk installs in the root of every USB drive they sell. Use the tool at the above link to remove it and then reformat the USB drive as a FAT32 drive. Then recopy your music back to the USB drive and give it a try.

This will not harm your USB drive. When you plug in the drive U3 automatically runs and gives you some menu choices to use the USB drive. By removing that feature, the drive will just show on your desktop as a mountable drive.

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but it will do no harm to try this.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
twinship
Booosted
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
http://communities.sandisk.com/sandi...&thread.id=730

That U3 file you are seeing is some obnoxious software that Sandisk installs in the root of every USB drive they sell. Use the tool at the above link to remove it and then reformat the USB drive as a FAT32 drive. Then recopy your music back to the USB drive and give it a try.

This will not harm your USB drive. When you plug in the drive U3 automatically runs and gives you some menu choices to use the USB drive. By removing that feature, the drive will just show on your desktop as a mountable drive.

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but it will do no harm to try this.
Thx, great info.

I'm going to try this... and cross my fingers!
Appreciate 0