E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW OEM License Plate PDC

12-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
MAPC
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi/6MT/Sport- SOLD

BMW OEM License Plate PDC

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it effective and reasonably accurate? I like that it allows for a cleaner look than the factory sensors mounted in the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
MAPC
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi/6MT/Sport- SOLD

No experience?

Anyone?
      01-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Never heard of this, would like to see some pics and more details.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

i have no idea, but i was interested in this too, theres no way we can DIY this cause it involves drilling
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

oh and it seems like with only 2 sensors that things might not be picked up all that well.....gotta be 2 REALLY strong ones....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I have a rear vision camera installed in my licence plate, but not a parking sensor. I had the camera custom installed
      01-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
my camera

You can just make it out in the middle. (A black circle)
Attached Images

01-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

nice, can you show us how it looks when you turn it on? is it wired into your Nav screen or is there another screen?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

E90 PDC Retrofit Install Istr.pdf

here are the PDC retrofit installation instructions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Placey
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 3.0SI

I have installed this on the X3, it works, but would highly recommend the factory mounted PDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #11
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

with only 2 sensors, do you think it can match the detecting power of 4 in the option?plus those are mounted lower.....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
LEA69, nice back up camera.
+1 on can u show us how u hooked it up
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

bump, can someone try this lol
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

No way would I want to run so many wires through the car for an aftermarket license plate mounted 2 sensor PDC. I wouldn't install something that made me take apart the c pillar. Imagine the rattles you could have after you put it back together.

If you haven't ordered the car get PDC from the factory. You get more sensors at a better, lower level. You dont notice the factory PDC with most colors unless you are looking for them.

If I needed an aftermarket product I would look for new wireless products. At CES I saw a wireless license plate mounted camera (I think Audiovox made it). Power for the camera ties into the reverse lights in the trunk. That's easily accessible through panels designed to be removed in the trunk. The wireless screen plugs into cig lighter or other power sources in the cabin. That would be better than a 2 sensor PDC mounted high on a license plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
No way would I want to run so many wires through the car for an aftermarket license plate mounted 2 sensor PDC. I wouldn't install something that made me take apart the c pillar. Imagine the rattles you could have after you put it back together.

If you haven't ordered the car get PDC from the factory. You get more sensors at a better, lower level. You dont notice the factory PDC with most colors unless you are looking for them.

If I needed an aftermarket product I would look for new wireless products. At CES I saw a wireless license plate mounted camera (I think Audiovox made it). Power for the camera ties into the reverse lights in the trunk. That's easily accessible through panels designed to be removed in the trunk. The wireless screen plugs into cig lighter or other power sources in the cabin. That would be better than a 2 sensor PDC mounted high on a license plate.
I took apart the C-pillar on my car to run a wire up to the 3rd brake light for my V1, and put it back together with no rattles. It's pretty simple, it's just a little cover... no big deal.
      02-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Enemigo
Du bist meine schlampe!
Rep
Drives: E90

when mounting one of those wirless cams on the rear plate, you need to draw power from the reverse lights, so how do you run the cable from the outside of the car (License plate) to the inside (reverse light wires)????
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #17
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

rear lp pdc installed

Old thread, but in case the op's still care I installed the BMW rear license plate PDC kit yesterday.

Difficulty was much higher than I expected.

Trim / panel removal include the trunk lid intertior, trunk interior - right side, rear interior trim panel, air bag location right side, third brake light cover.

First wire routing from the pdc license plate holder is via a rather large hole you have to drill through the trunk lid behind the plate. The location requires drilling through 2 layers of metal. Exterior and an interior brace.

Wire routing through the trunk lid to the trunk is through the rubber tube for the existing harness. Snaking 2 wires with connectors on them is nearly impossible. It's *tight* so progress is measured in milimeters - one wire at a time.

PDC control unit is installed in the trunk, right side, power and ground is tapped from the existing harness. Power / activation via the rear reverse lighting control. Intructions say to tie wrap the unit to the harness and also warns of possible EM problems - I found this out after putting the interior back together. Had to remove the trim again to move the control unit away from the harness. Tie wraping the unit to the harness causes it to false alert.

Snaking the siren wire into the cabin from the trunk was also difficult. Took time to poke around with a snake and a flashlight.

On the upside it works like a charm.

First test - inside the garage with the door down - beep beep beep. (check)
Second test - backing into a wall.
Alerts start about 2 feet away, get faster at 1 foot, solid warning on at 6 inches.

I think it is a nice kit fro $120, but very difficult and time consuming to install.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiprete View Post
Old thread, but in case the op's still care I installed the BMW rear license plate PDC kit yesterday.

Trim / panel removal include the trunk lid intertior, trunk interior - right side, rear interior trim panel, air bag location right side, third brake light cover.

First wire routing from the pdc license plate holder is via a rather large hole you have to drill through the trunk lid behind the plate. The location requires drilling through 2 layers of metal. Exterior and an interior brace.

Wire routing through the trunk lid to the trunk is through the rubber tube for the existing harness. Snaking 2 wires with connectors on them is nearly impossible. It's *tight* so progress is measured in milimeters - one wire at a time.

PDC control unit is installed in the trunk, right side, power and ground is tapped from the existing harness. Power / activation via the rear reverse lighting control. Intructions say to tie wrap the unit to the harness and also warns of possible EM problems - I found this out after putting the interior back together. Had to remove the trim again to move the control unit away from the harness. Tie wraping the unit to the harness causes it to false alert.

Snaking the siren wire into the cabin from the trunk was also difficult. Took time to poke around with a snake and a flashlight.

Alerts start about 2 feet away, get faster at 1 foot, solid warning on at 6 inches.

I think it is a nice kit fro $120, but very difficult and time consuming to install.
Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiprete View Post

Got a P/N? I'm still interested in doing this...
      06-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Oops, nevermind. Found the p/n: 66 21 0 395 009

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it installed on your car though... Do you think you can take a pic and upload please?
      06-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

pic

Here you go:

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. Not that noticeable on your black car. I think it'll stick out a bit more like a sore thumb on my silver car but I'll probably end up getting it anyway. Thanks for the info.