E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My car died on me. Is it HPFP?

02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
FizzyDubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 MW/SO

Garage List
Question My car died on me. Is it HPFP?

EDIT: See post #5.

Hey guys,

So I have an 07 335i coupe with 68k on it. Last night, I was coming home on the highway, it was raining so I wasn't doing more than 60 mph, and I felt the car shudder. Then, idrive popped up with an engine malfunction warning and gave me the half-engine/limp mode light. But my car essentially lost all power, so I crossed 4 lanes of traffic and got to the right shoulder just as my momentum ran out. I smelled fuel in the engine bay and through my cabin air. The car was towed home.

Today I got a chance to hook it up to INPA and got codes for 29F2 high pressure system fuel pressure too low, 2AAF fuel pump plausibility?, 29DC cylinder injection switch-off (b/c high pressure fuel system pressure too low), and misfires across all cylinders (likely b/c they weren't getting fuel). You can view some screens of the INPA error codes here:
View post on imgur.com

Do you guys think its my HPFP? or something else? What concerns me is that I smell gas and also that it won't start (it tries really really hard and sometimes just barely catches, but then turns off). It seems most guys who have HPFP issues can at least get the car to drive in limp mode... My car is out of warranty so its going to cost me a lot to tow it to the dealer and have a diagnostic done (unless it is the hpfp). But I think that is the inevitable course of action. I just wanted to hear some of you guys' opinions first.

Last edited by FizzyDubs; 02-15-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

My old 2007 E90 335i did somewhat the same thing. I had just drove to LA and my car shut off in the parking garage. Had to get it towed to the dealer and it ended up being my LPFP. If your car won't start it's most likely that. The HPFP will give you signs its going out. The LPFP just goes...
      02-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
FizzyDubs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I guess that makes sense. But it's also disheartening. Now I guess I gotta roll the dice and decide if I want to go to the dealer or to an indy (in terms of hpfp/lpfp). Towing costs are going to make this not fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
FizzyDubs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Bump. Does anyone know how much the LPFP costs to replace at the dealer? Should I just take my car to an indy?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
FizzyDubs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
I found the problem...

So I didn't have time to look at the car until today (it's been cold and rainy) and I thought it was so odd that it still smelled like gas. and I heard the fuel pump prime today and then the sound of a fluid dripping/draining somewhere, so I decided to take the engine cover off and investigate further. Look what I found! The steel pipe leading to fuel injector #2 broke!

Can anyone confirm the part # for this? Looks like 13537536565...

Last edited by FizzyDubs; 02-15-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0