E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Upgrading 2006 E90 330xi iDrive software

12-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
MidLifeCrisis330Xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330Xi  [0.00]
Upgrading 2006 E90 330xi iDrive software

OK, just spent a couple hours looking through the forum and don't see an answer to my question so decided to post new. I really really really want to be able to get the "send address to car" feature on my nav and my understanding is that there are two ways to do this:

1. is available as part of BMW Assist ($199/yr) if you have a MY2009+ vehicle

2. save contact/address to phone and then bring up contact and "navigate to..." that address (which does not require BMW Assist service)

Since I'm a 2006, #1 isn't an option unless I am able to upgrade my iDrive sw. Any one know if that is possible? I left a message for BMWUSA so will see what they say as well

I tried #2 but with my version of iDrive, it appears that the phone address book is completely separate from the nav "address book". So when I save to contacts, I can see it in my contacts on the nav communications section but the only options I have is to "dial" the contact phone number or "add number" to add numbers to it before dialing. It does not even show the address that I know is in there. I suspect this may be a limitation with the 2006 iDrive software because other members with newer BMW's seem to have had success with this technique.

Am I simply out of luck with this?? I hate taking the time to type in the entire address when it's right there in front of me on my Motorola Droid RAZR M. Which means I just hold the phone and us google maps to navigate with is a PITA. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

_______2006 BMW E90 330xi_______
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis330Xi View Post
OK, just spent a couple hours looking through the forum and don't see an answer to my question so decided to post new. I really really really want to be able to get the "send address to car" feature on my nav and my understanding is that there are two ways to do this:

1. is available as part of BMW Assist ($199/yr) if you have a MY2009+ vehicle

2. save contact/address to phone and then bring up contact and "navigate to..." that address (which does not require BMW Assist service)

Since I'm a 2006, #1 isn't an option unless I am able to upgrade my iDrive sw. Any one know if that is possible? I left a message for BMWUSA so will see what they say as well

I tried #2 but with my version of iDrive, it appears that the phone address book is completely separate from the nav "address book". So when I save to contacts, I can see it in my contacts on the nav communications section but the only options I have is to "dial" the contact phone number or "add number" to add numbers to it before dialing. It does not even show the address that I know is in there. I suspect this may be a limitation with the 2006 iDrive software because other members with newer BMW's seem to have had success with this technique.

Am I simply out of luck with this?? I hate taking the time to type in the entire address when it's right there in front of me on my Motorola Droid RAZR M. Which means I just hold the phone and us google maps to navigate with is a PITA. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!
It is definitely possible to upgrade your vehicle's iDrive. You have an older, CCC navigation system. We can offer you a CIC navigation system, which has been installed on the 3-series since September 2008. In order to do what you want, you may need an additional module as well. Please send me an email to info@bimmerretrofit.com and I will be happy to provide you with all the details.

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
MidLifeCrisis330Xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330Xi  [0.00]
thanks. sent you an email. But my question is really asking if there is a way to just upgrade my SW and keep the same hardware unit.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The software update for your iDrive will not be enough to get 'send to car' working. The CIC retrofit will not help either.
The most important is the new TCU retrofit and a request to BMW Assist to enable the 'send to car' feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
MidLifeCrisis330Xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
The most important is the new TCU retrofit and a request to BMW Assist to enable the 'send to car' feature.
ok, that's too bad. Is there a DIY on doing the TCU retrofit and/or do you sell it? I did a quick search and my initial impression is it prob not worth the hassle+money just to get the address 'send to car' capability.

Appreciate 0