Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Leak! Discount Tire was no help. HELP!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
idyfohu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Leak! Discount Tire was no help. HELP!

Ahhhh...

I purchased a set of Forgestar F14s from another member and just had them mounted and balanced on my car on Tuesday. Didn't drive the car much at all...

Wednesday morning, I start up the car and my TPMS sensor is saying low pressure. I check the pressure and it's at 25 (topped off each wheel at 38psi at Discount Tire). Ugh...go to 7/11, fill it back up to 38psi.

I drove to drop my daughter off at school and was on my way back (about a 20 mile round trip) and my TPMS went off, saying that my front driver side wheel had low pressure yet again.

I fortunately was close to Discount Tire...pulled in and they submerged the rim/tire in the water tank and no bubbles whatsoever. The tech (who was very friendly and seemed knowledgable) offered to dismount the tire so we could check the inside of the tire as well as the rim itself. No patches, no repairs. The wheels were recently re-powdercoated, but no bends...the tech did notice the seams were slightly rough so he offered to buff the edges so the seal was smooth, which he did...he then remounted and balanced the tire, filled the tire back up to 38psi and off I went.

I drove the car, parked it for about 4-5 hours...then drove again about 25 miles and after getting back into my car, TPMS sensor went off yet again.

I topped off the air to get home safely and now the car is in my garage and I'm a bit stressed/frustrated at this point.

I called a different Discount Store that I have a relationship with from previous trips and they're going to look a bit closer to hopefully solve the problem.

The only thing I can think of at this point would be the valve stem or TPMS not being seated firmly?

The previous owner said he drove on the setup for about 3 months (after they were powder coated) and had zero issues, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Any help anyone can lend or any suggestions for my trip to Discount tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
iDriveSlo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe M-Sport Lemans blue

Garage List
my guess, valvestem/tps sometimes they only leak under increased load on the car. I had a weird valve stem like that. would leak 5psi an hour took it off and couldnt find a damn thing, back on and same leaks. Finally able to trace it to the valve stem after it progressed further
      03-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
idyfohu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveSlo View Post
my guess, valvestem/tps sometimes they only leak under increased load on the car. I had a weird valve stem like that. would leak 5psi an hour took it off and couldnt find a damn thing, back on and same leaks. Finally able to trace it to the valve stem after it progressed further
That's comforting to hear...and it's definitely only leaking when there's a load on the tire.

It's very likely ones of the seals got damaged during shipping.

Thanks for the input...I'll definitely post an update after I head to Discount tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
That's comforting to hear...and it's definitely only leaking when there's a load on the tire.

It's very likely ones of the seals got damaged during shipping.

Thanks for the input...I'll definitely post an update after I head to Discount tomorrow.
fill it up to like 50PSI and go back and get it submerged over the valve step.....or pour water on the valve step....that should isolate it and let you know if that is where the problem is
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I had a valve stem that would only leak over 80mph. Drove me nuts looking for a leak until I felt the stem move when I put air in it. Put a new stem in with the seal and fixed.
      03-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sounds like it could be the valvestem if the wheels aren't bent or cracked. Spray soapy water around the valvestem, as well as where the tire meets the rim of the wheel, and it should tell you where the leak is.