E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Advice!

02-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
justinisbxmb
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2006 330i

Headlight Advice!

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum as well as the BMW world.
I recently just bought a used 2006 330i, and it came with these cheap projector spec-d tuning lights. I can't see anything with them! :/ Now I know there's millions of post about headlight options but I'm really lost right now. I bought an 35w 6000k HID kit, even got a guy to code out all errors and everything works fine but I just can't see anything! I tried adjusting the projectors but it's like they aren't even beaming. I'm sure the projectors just suck in these headlights, so I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions for any nice headlights with good projectors? I live in Texas and some roads are very dark and I need to see. It'll be a great help. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Not sure what "spec-d tuning lights" means, but all 330i's come with standard HID AHLs. If yours are not AHL then they were probably replaced after an accident. Aftermarket headlights usually have inferior optics which is probably why you can't see at night. IMO OEM AHLs perform the best but they are pricey, $1200 new and $300-$400 used per side.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
justinisbxmb
Rep

Spec D tuning headlights are some cheap aftermarket projectors lights the previous owner put on my car. I'm not trying to go oem. I've already coded out errors and everything. I'm really looking for a nice aftermarket set up, or if anyone have any ideas on retrofitting or where should I start? I don't need adaptive head lighting I just want good lighting output.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Have you seen this thread about retrofitting new projectors on a Depo aftermarket setup: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217870

Also, if you've got the errors coded out and your HIDs are NOT D1S then I would suggest getting a 55w HID setup.
      02-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
justalilbit
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

I bought "Projector39"s for my old E39. I got the FXR projector and Orion V4 angel eyes. The projector is fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the sharp cutoff, most people seem to love it. However the visibility was exceptional. Probably the best night vision I've ever had. Anyways, they have Projector90s for E90s. You might want to go that route... I once had Spec-D on an old, old Nissan... they look good on japanese cars and thats it. Spec D, Spyder, all of them... not on a german car. Ricey as hell. Reason I bring this up is I would say save the money and just get an FXR projector to do it yourself, but I would seriously scrap those headlights altogether.

https://www.umnitza.com/headlights-p...sing-pair.html
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
justinisbxmb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
Have you seen this thread about retrofitting new projectors on a Depo aftermarket setup: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217870

Also, if you've got the errors coded out and your HIDs are NOT D1S then I would suggest getting a 55w HID setup.
Could I retrofit projectors into any Depo unit? There's a shop that I know who specializes in it and can easily fit better projectors in headlights so if that's the case I'll buy a pair and some nice projectors and have it put together.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
justinisbxmb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalilbit View Post
I bought "Projector39"s for my old E39. I got the FXR projector and Orion V4 angel eyes. The projector is fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the sharp cutoff, most people seem to love it. However the visibility was exceptional. Probably the best night vision I've ever had. Anyways, they have Projector90s for E90s. You might want to go that route... I once had Spec-D on an old, old Nissan... they look good on japanese cars and thats it. Spec D, Spyder, all of them... not on a german car. Ricey as hell. Reason I bring this up is I would say save the money and just get an FXR projector to do it yourself, but I would seriously scrap those headlights altogether.

https://www.umnitza.com/headlights-p...sing-pair.html

Thanks for your response! Yes those headlights do suck they are rice af
I'm looking in to those projectors you're talking about and getting them put into Depo lights, I've heard bad reviews about projector90's. I'm thinking just going oem but I'm scared the adaptive system inside won't work (if I'm buying them used) such as the motors..module..etc. I don't know if I want to deal with retrofitting or replacing a lot of oem parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
justalilbit
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisbxmb View Post
Thanks for your response! Yes those headlights do suck they are rice af
I'm looking in to those projectors you're talking about and getting them put into Depo lights, I've heard bad reviews about projector90's. I'm thinking just going oem but I'm scared the adaptive system inside won't work (if I'm buying them used) such as the motors..module..etc. I don't know if I want to deal with retrofitting or replacing a lot of oem parts.
The projector90s use depo headlights. Just depends if you want to pay umnitza to put the projectors in or if you want to order depo headlights and put them in yourself. uniquestyleracings has them, they ship quickly. If you're handy with tools you can easily DIY, somebody else linked the guide after all
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
justinisbxmb
Rep

Quote:
The projector90s use depo headlights. Just depends if you want to pay umnitza to put the projectors in or if you want to order depo headlights and put them in yourself. uniquestyleracings has them, they ship quickly. If you're handy with tools you can easily DIY, somebody else linked the guide after all
I might just let umnitza do it and save the hassle. I have an hid kit in my car now it runs with no problems. If I order the retrofit kit would it just be plug and play and me putting in the hid bulb and that's it?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
justalilbit
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I assume your car was built with halogen headlights stock? (Due to the previous owner installing spec-d, which I know are halogen, and you're running an HID kit) If it was, shoot umnitza an email. I'm not sure if you'll need anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
justinisbxmb
Rep

Quote:
I assume your car was built with halogen headlights stock? (Due to the previous owner installing spec-d, which I know are halogen, and you're running an HID kit) If it was, shoot umnitza an email. I'm not sure if you'll need anything else.
My car came stock with Adaptive Xenon and the spec d lights have halogen bulbs with projector headlights. Right now I'm running an HID kit in them but I have no type of visibility. the projectors suck really bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
justinisbxmb
Rep

alright guys I actually decided to go back to OEM I found a good set locally and talked the guy down to $300 bucks both headlights come with working ahl modules too. ☺️ I'm going to probably install them this weekend once I pick them up. Hopefully everything goes well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
1QwkEvo
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Will these depo lights fit my Pre-LCI xenon car (without AHS)?
https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...id=618&search=

If so I plan on doing a FX-R retro myself.

Will I need any canbus defeats?

My past experience is here:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...eadlights.html

Last edited by 1QwkEvo; 02-27-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
1QwkEvo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkEvo View Post
Will these depo lights fit my Pre-LCI xenon car (without AHS)?
https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...id=618&search=

If so I plan on doing a FX-R retro myself.

Will I need any canbus defeats?

My past experience is here:
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...eadlights.html

Let me re-phrase my question...

Will the depot headlights listed above physically fit into my Xenon based pre-lci car, even though the depot headlights are halogen based?

Also since I already have OEM D1s ballasts and bulbs, do I just need a D1s to D2s adapter to fit the D2s bulbs in the FX-R projectors?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #15
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Let me re-phrase my question...

Will the depot headlights listed above physically fit into my Xenon based pre-lci car, even though the depot headlights are halogen based?

Also since I already have OEM D1s ballasts and bulbs, do I just need a D1s to D2s adapter to fit the D2s bulbs in the FX-R projectors?
Xenon and halogen headlights have the same shape. They will fit.

I know a d1s bulb has an igniter on it. It'll just be easier to not worry about any adapter kits and just buy d2s bulbs and ballasts. If you get a decent set at theretrofitsource, it shouldn't cost you more than 50 for the bulbs. Maybe 50-100 for the ballast.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #16
1QwkEvo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Xenon and halogen headlights have the same shape. They will fit.

I know a d1s bulb has an igniter on it. It'll just be easier to not worry about any adapter kits and just buy d2s bulbs and ballasts. If you get a decent set at theretrofitsource, it shouldn't cost you more than 50 for the bulbs. Maybe 50-100 for the ballast.
Great, thanks for the confirmation, I'll order the depot lights immediately.

I guess I'll work with TRS to figure out which ballasts I need to ensure the canbus system is happy.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Great, thanks for the confirmation, I'll order the depot lights immediately.

I guess I'll work with TRS to figure out which ballasts I need to ensure the canbus system is happy.

Thanks again!
I think canbus ballasts are mega expensive right? I just coded out my errors. It was cheaper that way.
Appreciate 1
d3l0n141.00
      03-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
1QwkEvo
Private
Rep

No problem, depot lights ordered, thanks again.
Appreciate 0