E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Performed my civic duty tonight - Video inside - Lady got charged with Careless

12-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Performed my civic duty tonight - Video inside - Lady got charged with Careless

Cliff notes:

- Saw a grey Nissan driving like they were drunk at 401 east and DVP
- Tailed them for a bit and after gathering more evidence I called OPP to report a possible DUI
- Driver began to drift a lot in their lane
- Nissan exits at Salem road and goes home
- OPP finds the lady sitting in her car on her driveway
- OPP asks if I am willing to be a witness and if so they will charge her with careless driving
- Since I have nothing better to do I agree to be a witness and OPP charges her with careless driving
- Tow truck driver on scene said the lady was so pissed lolol.
- I never saw what she looked like but OPP has reasonable grounds to believe she was the driver.
- Now I potentially could be summoned to court to be a witness lol.

Wall of text warning. This is the witness statement I wrote to the OPP

On December 15, 2012 at 4:20am I observed a dark colored Nissan sedan on the DVP heading northbound. A couple seconds later it began to head towards the 401 eastbound exit. My intentions were to also head in this direction so I stayed behind the Nissan. During the turn I witnessed the Nissan brake and proceed to bank right thus following the lane however it began to overshoot the turn and thus the Nissan began to creep in and drive in between two lanes. Considering the time of night and Nissan’s previous direction of travel along the DVP, I began to suspect that the driver of the Nissan was impaired. Hence I began to follow the Nissan as it entered the 401 eastbound express lanes.

My suspicion was immediately confirmed after I had merged into the 401 expressway and had positioned myself behind the Nissan and began following it at a safe distance. The driver of the Nissan did not appear to have a confident control of the Nissan as it began to hug the left side of their lane, as evident by the wheels being very close to the lane divider markers. At 4:22 am two vehicles on the far left lane (passing lane) began to pass this Nissan. The drivers of the passing vehicles observed that the Nissan was straddling the lane divider and gave the Nissan a wide berth by passing cautiously while straddling the emergency lane divider. Once the first vehicle passed the Nissan proceeded to quickly adjust itself immediately to their right side of their lane, hence almost straddling the right lane marker. After this point I turned down my music and observed the Nissan’s behavior more closely. The Nissan began to vary it’s position throughout the entire event by either straddling the left lane marker within their lane or the right lane marker within their lane. At 4:23am the Nissan approached a freight truck and proceeded to straddle the left lane marker and immediately passing the freight truck it quickly adjusted back over to straddling the right lane marker.

At this point I proceeded to dial *677 for the OPP. At 4:24am I was connected to an OPP dispatcher. I told the dispatcher I wanted to report at potential DUI and we were currently on the 401 traveling eastbound just past Brimley road. At this time I also witnessed the Nissan drift into the left lane as it was passing a transport trailer and had forced a vehicle in the passing lane to slow down and yield to the Nissan because it was now over the left lane marker as evident by their wheels passing the marker. I proceeded to tell the dispatcher the Nissan’s description which was a grey Nissan Altima with an Ontario tag number <redacted>. The dispatcher then asked me why I thought they were impaired and gave a brief and shortened statement reflecting what I had wrote above. I believed at the time there was four occupants in the Nissan. I also told the dispatcher the Nissan was traveling not at a constant rate of speed and kept varying its speed as in going from 120km/hr to 95km/hr. The dispatcher then asked for my name and phone number which I provided for him.

Throughout the initial call to the OPP the Nissan was still not keeping center in their lane and was straddling lane.

At 4:26 am as I just passed Neilson road I observed the Nissan attempt to change lanes to the right without indication. However it never completed the lane change but began to straddle the center lane and now the right lane, thus the Nissan was now traveling in two lanes. After a couple seconds the Nissan then moved back into the center lane. I had also communicated this to the OPP dispatcher. The dispatcher then asked for the description of my vehicle which I told him it was a Blue BMW. At 4:27am the Nissan again proceeded to straddle the right lane and center lane again as if it was attempting to ride both lanes at the same time. It quickly moved back over and at this point I had told the OPP dispatcher I had video recording equipment and was gathering video evidence. At 4:28am the Nissan proceeded to tail a black suv for about 30 seconds. After this the Nissan indicated a right lane change however it did not move and after 10 seconds canceled their signal indication. I also communicated this to the OPP dispatcher. At 4:29am the Nissan had slowed down to 95km/hr and after about a minute it went back up to 110km/hr. At 4:33am the Nissan began to indicate a right lane change however it then canceled the indication after about 10 seconds. It did not change lanes. At 4:34am as we were passing Brock road the Nissan again indicated a right lane change however it did proceed to change over to the right lane and canceled their signal promptly. I followed shortly after and began to follow the Nissan in the lane they were now traveling in.

I observed the same behavior of the Nissan straddling the left lane marker and right lane marker, consistent with their previous behavior in the center lane. At 4:35am the Nissan again indicated a right lane change but canceled the indication shortly after again without moving over to the right. At Salem road I observed the Nissan began to signal their intentions to exit, the Nissan then proceeded to exit at Salem road on the right lane. I continued to follow the Nissan as it exited Salem road and it indicated to continue southbound on Salem Road. At 4:38 am as we were crossing an intersection the Nissan proceeded to change lanes in the middle of the intersection without indication and after crossing the intersection it was now traveling on the left lane. At 4:39 am I was connected to Durham Regional Police and observed the Nissan was indicating to turn left on to Bayly Street heading eastbound. I was unable to catch the light and was stuck waiting for the red light. I then witnessed the Nissan make a right onto Boone Lane which I observed to be a townhouse complex.

I did not proceed to follow the Nissan into the townhouse complex as I am not familiar with the area and did not want to risk my personal safety following the Nissan into a dead end street. At 4:41am I witnessed the Nissan exit the townhouse complex. And proceeded to head eastbound on Bayly street again and then began to turn right onto Shoal Point road heading southbound. The Nissan then pulled into another townhouse complex on Wilkie Lane. I proceeded to follow them into the townhouse complex but decided it wasn’t a good idea and proceeded to reverse out and back onto Shoal Point road. At this point I lost sight of the Nissan and waited for police to arrive on scene.

At 4:47am is when I first made contact with OPP.

If you see a video unavailable message it's because it's still being uploaded. check back in a bit.

Opp was gonna confiscate my SD card to use the video as evidence but since I was willing to help them out in the investigation he said just keep it but don't alter any of the original files and if you do get summoned to court then just bring the sd card along. Even though the mans made a complete copy of my sd card lol.

OPP told me to follow them back to the station so they can get a copy of the sd card.

Also don't mess with OPP cause they has m4 assault rifles lol.

Last edited by BigFoig; 12-16-2012 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Sometimes it needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

why does it matter that she was 'a black lady'?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
it doesn't. i didn't even know it was a lady nor black until a tow truck driver told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Biddlesworth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 sport /6MT & Nav

My wife and I did the same thing earlier this year. We followed a drunk lady for about 35 miles before she finally hit a car in front of her in a construction zone. I told the wife to pull over and I ran out and took her keys away until the cops showed up. I recorded a ton on video and it was used to prosecute her.
      12-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Good job! Wish more folks would do that when they see things they know they ought to report!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Good job!
Cant stand people who get behind the wheel drunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt
I was thinking the same thing. Strange thing to even mention IMHO

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Nice! One less wreckless driver causing a potential accident.
      12-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoig View Post
it doesn't. i didn't even know it was a lady nor black until a tow truck driver told me.
If she was white you probably wouldn't have said "White Lady" just saying.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Snitch! Haha just kidding
Sometimes it just needs to be done. If she was driving normal and could handle her alcohol, it would've been fine but she was swerving. That's dangerous to everyone near her
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.26]
2008 328i  [5.50]
nice job
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

I like scrambled eggs
      12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

why did she get charged with reckless if she was under the influence???

pretty slack cops up there.......... shit down here in miami your ass would have been taken in for DUI.

oh well, you are among the few that would do what you did, i would have minded my own business and gone home specially at 4:30 in the morning.

btw: SSSSNNNIIIIITTTTCCHHHH
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

What difference does it make that the Nissan was Grey?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Creepy tow truck driver...I suppose he had a police scanner?

Good job, man.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
E-9-D
Fixed Bianchi > E46 > E90
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Totally weird comment! OP is like a canadian zimmerman with all the suspicion and profiling...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Karbon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I try to stay out of other people's business but sometimes people put others in danger like this.

I've never had to do something like this but I did have to call the police on a college kid who crashed his 5 series.

I was driving down a 45mph road at around midnight back in college and looked in my rear view. No one was in sight. Straight road behind me coming up to a turn. I keep driving and no more than 5 seconds later this black 5 series comes FLYING by me doing at least 100mph if not more. The kid lost control around the turn and slammer his driver side wheel into the curb, launched the car into the air and slammed it back down.

The car skidded atleast 500ft with the back end fish tailing back and forth. He stopped right before an intersection. I parked just behind him and he got out. I asked him if he was ok and told him I was on the phone with 911.

He litterally gave me one look then got into his car and drove off!!! Sparks were flying everywhere. I could see that his passenger side front wheel was litterally pushed up into his engine compartment and wasn;t even touching the ground.

I told 911 that he took off and a minute later a cruiser flew by me. I followed and saw they caught up with him about a half mile down the road. I told the officer I was the one who saw the accident and called it in.

He said he didn't need a statement but said "It was pretty funny watching him trying to drive on only 3 wheels."

My guess is that he was drunk or high. I still can't believe how fast he was going. I didn't even see him until he passed me. Lucky no one else was on the road that night.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
I don't understand why any of this was mentioned.. much less why its in the e9x section. This post is irrelevant on a BMW forum
      12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

You down with OPP?
      12-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

At that time of hour I wouldn't have done all of that. At most I would have called the police, but following her to her house is too far for me. But good job
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
BMWcoupe335ii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i coupe

Why is it the "black lady"? You could have just said the lady. I'm a little disturbed by that!
Appreciate 0