E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i Insurance

02-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #67
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
I have had to make two claim in all my time of driving, and neither of them were my fault, but I had to pay the excess.

First was crawling along a country lane in winter at about 15mph, touched the brake on a sheet of black ice... experienced driver or not that's 3k gone! (I know someone will say it was my fault, but by the time my car was removed there was 4 other cars in the wall beside my car and they closed the road for a survery and changed the camber of the corner as a result)

Second was a fox running out in front of my car... that would be another 3k gone

That excess is just stupid... I would not even consider an excess larger than £200... end of
Ok, it's time I should come clean lol

2 claims in 18 months.

In Germany in my Evo 9 MR 360, a deer ran through a hedge and hit my car. I was doing 40mph and it was an adult deer at 70kg.
I paid my excess of £200 and they paid out £14,000 to repair the car.

Second, my E90 330d vs our superb summer weather, it got washed away in a flood. I paid my £250 excess and they paid out £13,000 as it was a total loss, I only paid £12,500 for the car but they gave me £13,000 as I got it cheap.

The point is, I am an experienced driver, I've been driving 10 years, I have 8 ypncb and my driving qualifications help, I'm 29 too but I'm still being stung with an £800 premium with a £300 excess because of these fault claims that really I was not at fault for coming off my insurance.

For the OP, Just imagine if you prang the 335i or another car, you won't be driving your car after, the cost would be astronomical!!

You have to also think of the what ifs.....

You are mad going for this car as a first. Cars like this will be around for years, just build some no claims and gain some experience behind the wheel consistently, not in a mates car here and a mates car there, it means nothing.

My list of performance cars does because each has been owned for over a year, Integra DC2, Integra DC5 track car, Caterham Superlight R300, Evo 6 Tommie Mak, Evo 9 MR 360, BMW 330d M Sport, K20 EK9 track monster, 335d M Sport so insurance companies are still good to me despite my claims as they can see I don't claim for driver errors.

Seriously buddy, think about it!

And if you do get your car, you couldn't go far wrong by undertaking some further driving tuition and I don't just mean the odd track day, I mean some Road Craft, insurance companies like that!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #68
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Since when did insurance quotes impact your credit report? I've not seen any evidence of that. They search it but they do not leave a mark for lenders to see.

If you want a quote from admiral always used confused.com (same company). Admirals quotes are more expensive on non confused.com comparison sites. A few won't quote on price comparisons, but they are not going to be cheap for a no ncd driver anyway. Direct line, 0 ncd on a 335i? Don't even bother.
Car insurance quotes do a credit search. insurance quote search should be a soft search that doesn't affect rating, but if you ask for a monthly payment schedule too they may leave a hard footprint. Did for me a few years ago, maybe changed since.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #69
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A bottle of water

http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/excess-insurance/

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #70
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshirazz View Post
Well I've not seen that but it sounds good, I would love to know what your premium is to insure your excess.....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #71
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep

They say I can get covered for an excess of £2000 for £100 a year.

That should make my excess £1000 instead of £3000. But I guess that only covers for one accident.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #72
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshirazz View Post
They say I can get covered for an excess of £2000 for £100 a year.

That should make my excess £1000 instead of £3000. But I guess that only covers for one accident.
It actually says it will cover for more than one claim.

I've never seen anything like that before. It seems almost too good to be true.

Spending £100 per year to save the risk of £2000 possibly more if more than one claim actually seems worthwhile for new drivers.

1 in 5 new drivers have an accident within 6 months of passing their test. This is a 20/1 risk at the price.

I dare say that it would work out well for many young drivers to take a £2000 excess to reduce their insurance and use a policy like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #73
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I've never seen anything like that before. It seems almost too good to be true.
If it sounds too good to be true......
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #74
sshirazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
If it sounds too good to be true......
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #75
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hit the nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Not trying to be harsh in any way, but if you're trying to pass off mere weeks of driving a couple of cars with no more than about 190bhp, this has simply clarified that you really do not have a lot of experience at all.

Thanks for that Yoro. Your opinion is very important to me - so important that i've filed it away in my "People whose opinions i couldn't care less about" filing cabinet.

The insurance want to make you pay that much, simply because you represent a big risk of bending the car and/or someone elses car/property at the same time.

This is where that whole "experience" thing comes in i was talking about. You don't think every single one of us has justified getting a fast car by saying something like that? A fast car can get the better of you very easily, and it can lull you into a false sense of security then suddenly bite you. Trust me, most of us have been there. We've all been "fast learners" and promised to our partners we won't drive quickly or that "we know our capabilities" etc etc.

I'm sure you know how to drive a car just fine, but you do not have the experience to handle a 300bhp RWD BMW safely. And let's face it, you aren't buying a 335i to drive slowly around in it. It's very difficult to explain, and it isn't anything to do with your age, much much more to do with your experience levels.

How long have you been driving by the way? I'm presuming you either haven't been driving long or that you've passed your test, had your licence for a while, but then haven't had a car so have almost become deskilled to a point.

Believe it or not, the only alternative to a RWD BMW 335i is not a Nissan Micra. There are plenty of cars out there that have a decent amount of power, and will serve you well for a couple of years, until your insurance falls (which it will do - rapidly as soon as you get some decent experience). You'll be 25, hopefully have 2 or 3 years experience under your belt and 2 or 3 years NCB and the insurance will be much much more reasonable. And more importantly, you will have some experience in how to control a car.

Good luck with keeping it that way with a 300bhp car. It's difficult even for those of us who should know better.

I genuinely wouldn't even bother going for a 320d. The 335i is the one you want, and i totally see why you would want one (). Just get a cheap, decent car with a bit of power now, wait a couple of years and pick up your 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #76
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

OP
Call Policy shop on their number and see what they can do.