E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Where can i get a wiring harness for a paddle shifter retrofit?

07-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

Where can i get a wiring harness for a paddle shifter retrofit?

I am currently in the process of doing a lci paddle shifter retro fit to my pre-lci 328 without paddles and wanted to know where i can order a wiring harness from. I've seen the one from burger motorsports but was wondering if there were any other places that made them. I also wanted to know if there was anything else i need to do aside from the wiring harness to make the shifters work.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
There's probably 50 threads concerning this retrofit if you do a Search, which will explain all in detail...

But basically, you have (3) choices for paddles:

SSG (shift Up or Down from either paddle)

Need:
  • Sport wheel for SSG paddles
  • SSG Paddles
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Multifunction Buttons specifically for paddle shift (paddles plug in to MFB)
  • Wiring harness

DCT (shift Up from one paddle/Shift Down from other paddle)

Need:
  • M3 wheel for DCT paddles
  • DCT Paddles
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Wiring Harness

LCI

Need:
  • Sport wheel for LCI paddles
  • LCI Paddles (see note below)
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Wiring harness

**Note:
This only applies to installing LCI paddles on pre-LCI cars - you need to modify the internal paddle electronics to enable them to work, or you can buy them from eBay vendor already modified. There are threads detailing what needs to be modified as far as internal resistors...

So in a nutshell, the LCI paddle retrofit on a pre-LCI car is the most complicated route to go.

There is another vendor that sells the harness, but can't remember the name. Or if you read thru threads on the subject they will tell you how to make your own harness, custom wire SSG/LCI paddles to work same as DCT as far as Up & Down shifting goes, and also how to custom wire to eliminate the need for Multifunction Buttons that are paddle shift specific.

Personally, I just went with all the correct components instead of 'mickey mouse' custom wiring
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
There's probably 50 threads concerning this retrofit if you do a Search, which will explain all in detail...

But basically, you have (3) choices for paddles:

SSG (shift Up or Down from either paddle)

Need:
  • Sport wheel for SSG paddles
  • SSG Paddles
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Wiring harness

DCT (shift Up from one paddle/Shift Down from other paddle)

Need:
  • M3 wheel for DCT paddles
  • DCT Paddles
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Wiring Harness

LCI

Need:
  • Sport wheel for LCI paddles
  • LCI Paddles (see note below)
  • Sport Airbag/Bracket
  • Wiring harness

**Note:
This only applies to installing LCI paddles on pre-LCI cars - you need to modify the internal paddle electronics to enable them to work, or you can buy them from eBay vendor already modified. There are threads detailing what needs to be modified as far as internal resistors...

So in a nutshell, the LCI paddle retrofit on a pre-LCI car is the most complicated route to go.

There is another vendor that sells the harness, but can't remember the name. Or if you read thru threads on the subject they will tell you how to make your own harness, custom wire SSG/LCI paddles to work same as DCT as far as Up & Down shifting goes, and also how to custom wire to eliminate the need for Multifunction Buttons that are paddle shift specific.

Personally, I just went with all the correct components instead of 'mickey mouse' custom wiring
-__- All i wanted to know was places where i could buy the retrofit harness

EDIT: sorry, didn't mean to sound like a dick, are the wiring harnesses universal, or are they all different depending on what kind of paddle shifter you get

Last edited by The Maxican; 07-19-2013 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I was gonna say:

Quote:
I am currently in the process of doing a lci paddle shifter retro fit to my pre-lci 328 without paddles and wanted to know where i can order a wiring harness from. I've seen the one from burger motorsports but was wondering if there were any other places that made them. I also wanted to know if there was anything else i need to do aside from the wiring harness to make the shifters work.
Just trying to let you know that LCI paddles need to be modded to work on pre-LCI cars.

The other company that sells the wiring harness is MotiveMods

www.motivemods.com

Think they are cheaper than Burger @ $98

They also sell the modded LCI paddles

Or you could make your own from one of the DIY, & there is a forum member that used to make them and sell also (yakev724)

Harness is universal - as long as it is version for E9x series...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0