E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake Light/DSC Light on

02-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
DC2NoVA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Brake Light/DSC Light on

I know this topic has been beaten over and over again, but most of the information I've come across in my search refers to abs/dsc/brake.

I'm assuming there's a smaller number of issues about JUST the brake/DSC light? My car is an e90 06 330i and my cruise control is not working as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't have any good info but im sure you googled already and saw that others have tried the steering angle sensor cleaning kit fix. That'd probably be my first troubleshooting attempt . Have you tried getting codes off the DME w/ a logger?
      02-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Austin 1439
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Coupe Crimson Red

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2NoVA
I know this topic has been beaten over and over again, but most of the information I've come across in my search refers to abs/dsc/brake.

I'm assuming there's a smaller number of issues about JUST the brake/DSC light? My car is an e90 06 330i and my cruise control is not working as well.

Thanks
Try pulling off each wheel as clean the wheel speed sensors. If it's not those, I would have a dealership run codes. Code be a failed dsc module or hydro pump
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
DC2NoVA
Private
Rep

I ordered an inba cable online and will be trying to read the codes when it comes in (something I've been meaning to learn how to do). As of right now, next step is cleaning the wheel speed sensors (since it's free).

I was just wondering if anyone else has had only TWO of the three common lights on (brake/dsc) and how it might be different from having all 3 on?

Thanks for the replies guys
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
DC2NoVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
I don't have any good info but im sure you googled already and saw that others have tried the steering angle sensor cleaning kit fix. That'd probably be my first troubleshooting attempt . Have you tried getting codes off the DME w/ a logger?
Actually, I'm going to try this after realizing the steering angle sensor diy therad shows 2/3 of the lights... now i just feel silly

Will keep you guys posted!

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yup, my cable + software's being delivered currently. I am also ordering an old laptop too as a dedicated diagnosis battestation. INPA software runs only on xp or windows 7. They're only like $125 on ebay for a good dell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2NoVA View Post
I ordered an inba cable online and will be trying to read the codes when it comes in (something I've been meaning to learn how to do). As of right now, next step is cleaning the wheel speed sensors (since it's free).

I was just wondering if anyone else has had only TWO of the three common lights on (brake/dsc) and how it might be different from having all 3 on?

Thanks for the replies guys
      03-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
jubid1
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 - Jet black

Hi DC2Nova , i have the same vehicle as you , and the exact same problem. Aer you going to try to do the steering angle sensor cleaning kit fix. if you've solved this problem , would you be able to post how you did it!! i really miss the cruz control on the Hwy.
thanks
Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
DC2NoVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubid1 View Post
Hi DC2Nova , i have the same vehicle as you , and the exact same problem. Aer you going to try to do the steering angle sensor cleaning kit fix. if you've solved this problem , would you be able to post how you did it!! i really miss the cruz control on the Hwy.
thanks
Dave
I'll keep you informed. I'm waiting on a reader that I ordered to come in before I start randomly trying to solve it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
DC2NoVA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubid1 View Post
thanks
Dave
I got alignment today and it cleared it right up! I knew it was a possibility, but I wasn't expecting that to be the reason
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2NoVA View Post

Thanks
I had a similar issue years ago. Turned out to be a rear wheel bearing that caused the ABS speed sensor to fault which shut down the ABS/DSC system at high speeds. Too BMW a week to figure it out, they had to send data to NJ to get their engineers to figure it out. Since you have the same car it may be worth examination. They changed the bearing and the abs speed sensor and it has been fine since (over 140,000 miles ago)
Appreciate 0