E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dash Warning Lights Go Crazy!

04-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Dash Warning Lights Go Crazy!

Need some help here please! My brother owns a 320d M Sport 2009 LCI and has developed a crazy fault, what happens is soon as you turn the lights on, the dash goes crazy with warning lights, including Airbag, Service, DCT, ABS, rev counter goes up and down, you name it, when you turn the lights off the car goes back to normal. Checked all the lights and all bulbs look fine.

Does any one know whats happening, below is link to a youtube video I have uploaded for the fault.

-------------330i M Sport----------------
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Never seen something that severe actually displayed for all to see. At a guess and its a wild stab in the dark it might be a power/instrutment cluster fault.

Other thing to look at is the condition of the cars battery being an AGM battery they are good for around 3-4 years then being to slowly show signs of weakness(though the car wil start/stop as required)if they start to play up they can create communication power related faults.

With lights being switched off would suggest a power/K-CAN type issue though I could be wrong this is something that to be honest you need to get looked at. Perhaps to at least help it would be worth checking the battery (should be a black battery, check the battery condition indicator) Might be worth if you know what to do doing a hard battery re set.
      04-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Going to book it in tomorrow for codes to be read and see if anything pops up.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Battery - lights off, lower drain on the system. Lights on, higher drain. Sounds like the battery is on it's way out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Russ.C
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Seems to me it could be a short circuit, have a look at the cluster control unit, or maybe even the footwell module as that controls the lighting?

You could try removing the instrument cluster and trying again, if the radio keeps flashing you then know the possible short circuit is not in the instrument cluster if that makes sense? Iif it stops you have found the location of the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Worth having a check of the connections on the cluster. Unplug and replug them all.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sent in for diognostics will update.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got a call back after diagnostic it requires a new JBE (junction Box Electronic) module, will let update once done.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got new JBE module fitted and guess what, 2 days later problem returns, car now gone back for further investigation, it seems it's gonna be one of those problems you hate.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Every time I've had BMW electrics going batshit crazy it's been because the battery was dying.

I'm sure you've already had that checked out, but just sayin'
      05-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Christmas came early!!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Never seen something that severe actually displayed for all to see. At a guess and its a wild stab in the dark it might be a power/instrutment cluster fault.

Other thing to look at is the condition of the cars battery being an AGM battery they are good for around 3-4 years then being to slowly show signs of weakness(though the car wil start/stop as required)if they start to play up they can create communication power related faults.

With lights being switched off would suggest a power/K-CAN type issue though I could be wrong this is something that to be honest you need to get looked at. Perhaps to at least help it would be worth checking the battery (should be a black battery, check the battery condition indicator) Might be worth if you know what to do doing a hard battery re set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulla the Hulla View Post
Battery - lights off, lower drain on the system. Lights on, higher drain. Sounds like the battery is on it's way out.
Possible but anything electrical can lead you a merry dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.C View Post
Seems to me it could be a short circuit, have a look at the cluster control unit, or maybe even the footwell module as that controls the lighting?

You could try removing the instrument cluster and trying again, if the radio keeps flashing you then know the possible short circuit is not in the instrument cluster if that makes sense? Iif it stops you have found the location of the issue?
Cluster K CAN communication are all possible main junction box wiring all I'd say is these things really can tax you when confronted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
Got new JBE module fitted and guess what, 2 days later problem returns, car now gone back for further investigation, it seems it's gonna be one of those problems you hate.
Sometimes happens, who diagnosed the Junction Box out of interest and how conclusive was the theory that this was the answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Every time I've had BMW electrics going batshit crazy it's been because the battery was dying.

I'm sure you've already had that checked out, but just sayin'
Youd of hoped the battery was checked, when carrying bout a diagnosis apart from anything you'd ideally wish to look at power management which you can do observing over say a 7 to say 21 day period what's going on it'll help in so much as pinpointing the state of the battery performance, the alternators charge rate plus the general state of the whole system along with the diagnosis carried out a plan can be formulated.

If there was a Junction Box related fault there are various tests/checks they can be done to assist but to change this at a pure guess someone must have been "pretty sure" this was the culprit but I'd say sometimes you can be sure a particular component is the answer to all the problems only to find behind the recently replaced component lies another issue. Sadly I've seen it its part of the beast that we all drive
      05-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

The story is the car was only purchased couple of weeks ago from a Major retailer (will mention no names yet) the problem occurred within 3 days of owning it, now they have been great so far took the car away provided with courtesy car, they willing to resolve issue without costing us anything, they have replaced JBE module and thought the problem was fixed, however it came back. They have picked the car up again, today had a call and they saying its PDC (parking distance control) unit, now something has come to my mind the issue came each time it rained that night. Now is water getting in somewhere? Can it get to PDC module? Where is it located? The mystery continues.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #14
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

check the battery compartment at the boot(if u have one?) my coupe has a battery compartment and water was leaking into and was causing some kind of airbag light, bmw dried it up and refitted my rear lights and i never had anymore problem. so that could be the culpit.

p.s wear some rubber gloves to aviod being shocked

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

If there replacing parts at no cost to you apart from inconvenience then let them carry on more the better, until they get to the bottom of it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep

***Update*** car since had PDC module and returned been running for a week with no issues it seems that was the culprit, but I still can't get my head around why a PDC module would cause whole dash to light up!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
Tomjrau
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, 2011335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
Need some help here please! My brother owns a 320d M Sport 2009 LCI and has developed a crazy fault, what happens is soon as you turn the lights on, the dash goes crazy with warning lights, including Airbag, Service, DCT, ABS, rev counter goes up and down, you name it, when you turn the lights off the car goes back to normal. Checked all the lights and all bulbs look fine.

Does any one know whats happening, below is link to a youtube video I have uploaded for the fault.

I had a similar electrical malfunction affecting instrument cluster, iDrive and rendering the vehicle pretty much undriveable. In my case it turned out to be the RDC module that controls TPMS sensors. Apparently the multiple modules communicate in series and a failure of any one of the modules can affect whole system. Disconnecting the RDC module immediately cured the issue (but leaving TPMS sensors offline). I was able to disassemble the RDC module located behind right rear passenger fender and clean the corrosion causing the short.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi, 2011x3

That's pretty awesome that you were able to clean the corrosion and it worked. I also had the dashboard craziness happen to me - I accidentally got water in the dashboard and the same thing happened to me. I did see a SOS malfunction first and then later even a steering wheel lock issue.

After some time - I only had the SOS and no audio issue.

Later I took apart my dash - unconnected all the wiring to radio and dried out the inners. Cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner.

Car starts up just fine today with no problems with audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #19
Donzdon
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 e84 x drive m sport

Hi guys I've just joined forum I have x1 e84 I found all the comments great and helpful my dash lights had gone on a fit lost all lights and gauges but thankfully have found problem.
Under the tray right side of boot in well I found about 6 inch of water with parking sensor module sat in middle of it with no way for water to drain away .
So after draining g and drying it all everything is working again just need to replace module now but dash is behaving now hope this helps some one else.
And thanks to all you guys that post on here .
Appreciate 0