Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > UPDATE #2..Bought new tires and worst experience ever!....Advice please??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #23
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D Half-LCI

From your text i can't really figure out what the shop has done to the car? Only lifted up and alignment to stock specs? That's not going to help much. If you still haven't got fender roll done, that's the first thing to do and judging what i have read i would change to different place. Sorry to hear you have deal with that kinda customer service. After the roll lower it, where you would like the rear be, test if it rubs, then go to alignment and, if you need to have more negative camber ask that. Try to find a place that can adjust the height and do camber adjusting and alignment. You might need few tries with alignment to get it work.
      09-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You need to sell those wheels and find something that fits without all the hassle. Going with that aggressive of a fitment obviously requires way more effort than you're willing to put into it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
From your text i can't really figure out what the shop has done to the car? Only lifted up and alignment to stock specs? That's not going to help much. If you still haven't got fender roll done, that's the first thing to do and judging what i have read i would change to different place. Sorry to hear you have deal with that kinda customer service. After the roll lower it, where you would like the rear be, test if it rubs, then go to alignment and, if you need to have more negative camber ask that. Try to find a place that can adjust the height and do camber adjusting and alignment. You might need few tries with alignment to get it work.
They put it to where it wouldn't rub and I was told that "anything lower than this will cause rubbing, etc and thats no amount of fender rolling will help" and that "I should look into fender puling if I want these to work, etc"

Clearly these people are idiots and don't know what they're talking about, however I did want to have my fenders rolled, but I want to know if its even worth it since depending on where you go it can range from $20-40 a fender from what i've heard.

I honestly don't like the jacked up rear look, but before I literally couldn't drive the car at all...like zero percent chance of that happening.

I just cant believe this customer service..Mind=Blown!

Also for those that were asking before, I never had spacers in the rear, just the front and they were 15mm

Speaking of the front, I removed the 15mm spacers and now the wheels are sunken in (as you can see from the pictures) I can't do anything for the rear since they're wide enough as it is, but what can I do for the fronts now? How many MM spacers can I get away with to flush it back up without causing rubbing; 5mm? maybe 10?

thanks for all the help and information by the way, you've been extremely helpful

Make money, no vacation
Pay cash, don't make payments

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
You need to sell those wheels and find something that fits without all the hassle. Going with that aggressive of a fitment obviously requires way more effort than you're willing to put into it yourself.

Well from the previous comments, this isn't even that aggressive for this car.
Im not running 18x13s or something or even 11s and the tire definitely isn't the prescribed size (more like 275+)
and its honestly not about effort, its about idiots not knowing what they're doing (which you can read in my previous post)

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #27
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

Damn dude! All you needed to do was look up a local shop with good reviews that can roll your fenders and you probably would have been in the clear... I don't think your car looks bad the way it sits at all those rear meats look aggressive! Sorry you got jerked around at the shop, if they didn't verbally quote you more than 270 than that's all you are responsible to pay! Most laws state you need an estimate prior to work being performed also You have to authorise any repairs beyond the original estimate costs. So if you didn't receive a phone call from them saying why it's going to cost more than originally quoted that's their fault and they need to suck up the extra time they spent. I would make sure to get a partial refund, talk to the manager about the 27 mile test drive and grease all through out there car! If they don't want to refund you, tell them you're going to take it it above their head to the Better business bureau and then also blast them on yelp and all other social media places where reviews will be seen
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #28
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkhorseActual View Post
They put it to where it wouldn't rub and I was told that "anything lower than this will cause rubbing, etc and thats no amount of fender rolling will help" and that "I should look into fender puling if I want these to work, etc"

Clearly these people are idiots and don't know what they're talking about, however I did want to have my fenders rolled, but I want to know if its even worth it since depending on where you go it can range from $20-40 a fender from what i've heard.

Speaking of the front, I removed the 15mm spacers and now the wheels are sunken in (as you can see from the pictures) I can't do anything for the rear since they're wide enough as it is, but what can I do for the fronts now? How many MM spacers can I get away with to flush it back up without causing rubbing; 5mm? maybe 10?

thanks for all the help and information by the way, you've been extremely helpful
Well the fender roll makes difference and get's you more room and with camber you get even more, but don't pull the fenders. It doesn't look good. If the fender roll wouldn't be enough with camber adjusting, then i recommend shaving/trimming. Think about this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959347 it's 8mm more out than your wheels and has basically rub free setup.

Just don't go to that previous place. I have feeling they would mess your fenders.

As for front your front was 18x8.5 et20 with spacers correct? You should now be fine with 10mm. Making your final specs 18x8.5 et25 with 225/40/18.
      09-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Damn dude! All you needed to do was look up a local shop with good reviews that can roll your fenders and you probably would have been in the clear... I don't think your car looks bad the way it sits at all those rear meats look aggressive! Sorry you got jerked around at the shop, if they didn't verbally quote you more than 270 than that's all you are responsible to pay! Most laws state you need an estimate prior to work being performed also You have to authorise any repairs beyond the original estimate costs. So if you didn't receive a phone call from them saying why it's going to cost more than originally quoted that's their fault and they need to suck up the extra time they spent. I would make sure to get a partial refund, talk to the manager about the 27 mile test drive and grease all through out there car! If they don't want to refund you, tell them you're going to take it it above their head to the Better business bureau and then also blast them on yelp and all other social media places where reviews will be seen
I have a shop I usually go to and they're legit, but far from me (50+ miles) and all I originally needed was to have the tires mounted and balanced and put on; any tire shop can do that with no problems since its all the same. Thats the only reason I didn't go to my usual place...(That was my fault thinking some backwoods ass place here could do simple shit...Biggest headache ever!)

I plan on finding out when the manage and/or owner works or will be available so I can go meet with them face to face and talk about this and thank for the extra advice with the BBB and online reviews. They really do make all the difference.

I have a list of complaints as i've shared so i will organize all this and present it to them.

Quote:
Well the fender roll makes difference and get's you more room and with camber you get even more, but don't pull the fenders. It doesn't look good. If the fender roll wouldn't be enough with camber adjusting, then i recommend shaving/trimming. Think about this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959347 it's 8mm more out than your wheels and has basically rub free setup.

Just don't go to that previous place. I have feeling they would mess your fenders.

As for front your front was 18x8.5 et20 with spacers correct? You should now be fine with 10mm. Making your final specs 18x8.5 et25 with 225/40/18.
I will absolutely not no matter what ever go back to that place, I would rather pay $175 to have my car towed to my original indy shop and have them do whatever needs to be done to make things work, not this shitty place around here!

I had plans on having the fenders rolled or shaved (depending on how much space rolling would give me) but this "mechanic as he calls himself" said that even with a fender roll that I would still not be able to lower without rubbing and that I would need "rear adjustable camber arms" to be able to adjust the rear camber since my D2 coilovers only have a front adjustable camber setting and none for the rear; well I looked into them and they're around $300 + and im just not looking to spend that on these arms which im sure I don't even need since I literally never hear anyone talking about them or suggesting them other than this "mechanic"

That thread you linked looks amazing! I would love that set up if I knew I wouldn't rub!

Lastly, as for the fronts, I did have 15mm spacers on the wheels, but those are now removed and to be honest I'm not sure what the offset is now without them. But I was told that the 15mm spacers were too much and would rub but I don't trust this idiot at all so I really don't know!

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
It's your wheels not the tires. The offset is wrong and they are like an inch too wide for the car. You really can't do anything with them for the car. Smaller width tires are dangerous on the rims. The width fits no problem with the correct offset. Sorry but I was saying that before but didn't realize you had a bad offset too. Where did you get them? If you bought them new I'd go back to the retailer and raise hell. There isn't a safe size tire that will fit that rim and your car both. The rims won't work with your car. Maybe you can exchange for correct size rim or sell these to someone who could fit them. M5 guy maybe? Idk. But it's the rim not tire that's the problem.
This man is a legitimate moron.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, file a chargeback. Make a compelling argument, your credit card company will side with you, you'll get your money back.

As for your wheel/tire setup, yes Michelin's run very, very wide. You have 3 options to make it work- Fender work, more camber, smaller tires. Start with fender rolling/shaving, that will be the easiest fix. Then more camber, then if that doesn't solve it then resort to smaller tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #31
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Because I didn't want rolling recommend a tire setup that could fail catastrophically? And Deebo? Really? With a name like that you wanna call me a moron?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #32
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
Finland
Rep

Quote:

I had plans on having the fenders rolled or shaved (depending on how much space rolling would give me) but this "mechanic as he calls himself" said that even with a fender roll that I would still not be able to lower without rubbing and that I would need "rear adjustable camber arms" to be able to adjust the rear camber since my D2 coilovers only have a front adjustable camber setting and none for the rear; well I looked into them and they're around $300 + and im just not looking to spend that on these arms which im sure I don't even need since I literally never hear anyone talking about them or suggesting them other than this "mechanic"

Lastly, as for the fronts, I did have 15mm spacers on the wheels, but those are now removed and to be honest I'm not sure what the offset is now without them. But I was told that the 15mm spacers were too much and would rub but I don't trust this idiot at all so I really don't know!
Yeah you dont need camber arms to rear. There is stock adjusting that should get you around -3. If you want to go past that then you need those camber arms, with your wheels it really isn't necessarily. Also 1 degree of negative camber pulls the top of wheel in about 10mm. Many guys set the Toe to zero, because the tyre is straight and evenly out compared to fender, so it does eliminate the possility that it rubs at some corner of fender edge.

Here is one other example of Lci 18x10.5 et25 and 265/35/18 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674957 Fenders where rolled and slightly pulled, but it's 8mm more out than yours are. He had some occaosinal rubbing issues with full load, tho.

This my 18x10.5 et15 with 255/35/18 with rolled fender and -3 camber. It's 10mm more out than yours. Narrower tyre tho.
View post on imgur.com

Here is one with 19x10 et20 and 265/30/19 fenders rolled and some camber added. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976917 Your wheel is only 1mm more out.

Stock front don't have camber adjustment, but it can be adjusted little by removing the alignment pin. You have camber plates so you can adjust it fine.

I assume your front wheels are 18x8.5 et35, because you said et20 with 15mm spacers. i'm going to say 10mm should be fine.

Last edited by MonacoBlueE90; 09-14-2014 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #33
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Quote:
Because I didn't want rolling recommend a tire setup that could fail catastrophically? And Deebo? Really? With a name like that you wanna call me a moron?
Right. Nobody has ever ran less than a 275 width Michelin tire, which is known to run a couple sizes wide, on a 10.5 inch rim. Those that tried to died in a horrible fireball of death due to their narrow tire selection.

And yes, I will continue to refer to you as a moron if you continue to say things that are totally outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #34
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I'm not sure how pointing out that you are out of the manufacturers safter range is outrageous. Or the fact that yes people have been in fiery death situations as a result of that is, but ok whatever. I'm my industry if you make a recommendation that is unsuitable and the result is negative, you go to jail. So maybe it's just me. Anyway, good luck with the minor mods to get those beasts working
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Once you roll your fenders you should be able to lower it some more. Your setup is 3mm less than mine. My rear fenders were rolled and I sanded down the corner where the fender and bumper meet using this.
http://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-...der-92158.html

Up front I think the 15mm spacers should work. That is 10mm less than my setup so you should be good at stock camber.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #36
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
This man is a legitimate moron.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, file a chargeback. Make a compelling argument, your credit card company will side with you, you'll get your money back.

As for your wheel/tire setup, yes Michelin's run very, very wide. You have 3 options to make it work- Fender work, more camber, smaller tires. Start with fender rolling/shaving, that will be the easiest fix. Then more camber, then if that doesn't solve it then resort to smaller tires.
I did pay with a debit card so that is something I will look into, but I would rather try and work it out with the manager or owner first and then if they don't comply or try and brush it off then go that route. Btw, about how much wider do they run? Is this 265 width a 275 in a different brand or what?

Quote:
Yeah you dont need camber arms to rear. There is stock adjusting that should get you around -3. If you want to go past that then you need those camber arms, with your wheels it really isn't necessarily. Also 1 degree of negative camber pulls the top of wheel in about 10mm. Many guys set the Toe to zero, because the tyre is straight and evenly out compared to fender, so it does eliminate the possility that it rubs at some corner of fender edge.

Here is one other example of Lci 18x10.5 et25 and 265/35/18 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674957 Fenders where rolled and slightly pulled, but it's 8mm more out than yours are. He had some occaosinal rubbing issues with full load, tho.

This my 18x10.5 et15 with 255/35/18 with rolled fender and -3 camber. It's 10mm more out than yours. Narrower tyre tho.
View post on imgur.com

Here is one with 19x10 et20 and 265/30/19 fenders rolled and some camber added. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976917 Your wheel is only 1mm more out.

Stock front don't have camber adjustment, but it can be adjusted little by removing the alignment pin. You have camber plates so you can adjust it fine.

I assume your front wheels are 18x8.5 et35, because you said et20 with 15mm spacers. i'm going to say 10mm should be fine.
I figured I didn't, but at this point i feel as i need to ask anything and everything before i do it since most people are extremely knowledgeable while as other aren't so much. Even though I do have a sedan, I never have passengers in the back and the fact that I'm 6'5 means my sedan is a coupe so ill never have a full load.

I think all those cars look sick, I dig that look and thats what my end appearance goal is to look like. I just need to get fenders rolled and down to my other guys and have them hook it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Once you roll your fenders you should be able to lower it some more. Your setup is 3mm less than mine. My rear fenders were rolled and I sanded down the corner where the fender and bumper meet using this.
http://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-...der-92158.html

Up front I think the 15mm spacers should work. That is 10mm less than my setup so you should be good at stock camber.
Do you have pictures of your setup?
Also, what does everyone else think with the 15mm spacers in the front? I mean I do already have them so if its worth it to put them on and check it out then I will, but if I turn and its going to be rubbing then its not worth it and ill just have to get smaller ones....

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #37
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
BTW just checked an old post I made regarding the wheels and here are the specs once again:

Front 18 x 8.5 ET 35
Rear 18 X 10.5 ET 33

These are the numbers without the spacers!

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #38
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

So Coles notes...You were too low and rubbed

Guy fixed your issue and charged you for fixing it?
You paid and then decided you didnt like the ride height after?

Your upset that he mounted your tires and made a comment about Those Will Rub..?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #39
Evochuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 09

This is what a roll can do (and a slight shave in my case), 19x10 et23 265 wide
LCI e90 like you

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #40
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
you just don't know when to stop do you You've proven your lack of knowledge in this thread three times over already..and please spare me the fiery death tire stretching is for satan reply thanks
      09-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #41
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did pay with a debit card so that is something I will look into, but I would rather try and work it out with the manager or owner first and then if they don't comply or try and brush it off then go that route. Btw, about how much wider do they run? Is this 265 width a 275 in a different brand or what?

I figured I didn't, but at this point i feel as i need to ask anything and everything before i do it since most people are extremely knowledgeable while as other aren't so much. Even though I do have a sedan, I never have passengers in the back and the fact that I'm 6'5 means my sedan is a coupe so ill never have a full load.

I think all those cars look sick, I dig that look and thats what my end appearance goal is to look like. I just need to get fenders rolled and down to my other guys and have them hook it up.

Do you have pictures of your setup?
Also, what does everyone else think with the 15mm spacers in the front? I mean I do already have them so if its worth it to put them on and check it out then I will, but if I turn and its going to be rubbing then its not worth it and ill just have to get smaller ones....
Do you have front camberplates? At stock camber you should be flush with those 15mm spacers. With camberplates you could use a larger spacer or wider wheel if you wanted. I have pictures here I need to go a little bit lower in the front.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=49
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #42
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ben View Post

So Coles notes...You were too low and rubbed
Guy fixed your issue and charged you for fixing it?
You paid and then decided you didnt like the ride height after?

Your upset that he mounted your tires and made a comment about Those Will Rub..?
No its more than that, this guy knew they wouldn't work from the start, yet he didn't say anything and still mounted them and put them on even though he KNEW I wouldn't be able to get out of the parking lot! He screwed me from the beginning instead of being like "hey man this isn't going to work because xyz, we can't do this for you etc etc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evochuck View Post
This is what a roll can do (and a slight shave in my case), 19x10 et23 265 wide
LCI e90 like you

this looks nice AF man

Quote:
Do you have front camberplates? At stock camber you should be flush with those 15mm spacers. With camberplates you could use a larger spacer or wider wheel if you wanted. I have pictures here I need to go a little bit lower in the front.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=49
I do have front camberplates but none in the rear.

I saw your pictures which are flush, but do you rub at all? that looks mighty close.
I want that look but obviously without rubbing,

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #43
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No its more than that, this guy knew they wouldn't work from the start, yet he didn't say anything and still mounted them and put them on even though he KNEW I wouldn't be able to get out of the parking lot! He screwed me from the beginning instead of being like "hey man this isn't going to work because xyz, we can't do this for you etc etc"

this looks nice AF man

I do have front camberplates but none in the rear.

I saw your pictures which are flush, but do you rub at all? that looks mighty close.
I want that look but obviously without rubbing,
I rubbed the first couple of days until the tire wore down some plastic where the fender and bumper meet. Now I dont ever rub I can still turn the steering wheel from lock to lock without rubbing.

The 15mm spacer should work up front. If it doesn't you can just add more negative camber or get a smaller spacer if you don't want to get another alignment. Stock negative camber is around -.65 degrees which isn't much.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #44
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I rubbed the first couple of days until the tire wore down some plastic where the fender and bumper meet. Now I dont ever rub I can still turn the steering wheel from lock to lock without rubbing.

The 15mm spacer should work up front. If it doesn't you can just add more negative camber or get a smaller spacer if you don't want to get another alignment. Stock negative camber is around -.65 degrees which isn't much.
I have yet to remove the tires myself and actually look since installation, so this weekend i need to do that so i can see what you're talking about.

Also, i havent been able to test fit the spacers yet either. My only concern with adding camber to either the front or back is uneven tire wear. The tires I just put on Pilot Sport A/S 3 are supposed to last 45k miles. I want that lol
I dont want to have to replace in like 10 or 20 due to uneven wear like my old tires had and only lasted approx 5-6k miles which is garbage IMO.

I am able to adust camber in the front via the coilovers btw

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0