E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Problems with Riss downpipes?

10-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #23
jimbo1988
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

imo...call up ur credit card and tell the credit card company they dont fit rite n stuff n cancel the payment..there fight with rr for you..your get new ones that fit or all your money back..kno from experence lol not from rr tho....bought the ur dp fit awsome
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #24
lucassilva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Man what shame... RR had such a awesome rep until this things come along...
I had a awesome experience with them, sorry to hear about yours...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Use American Express from now and you can stop payment with no problem whatsoever. I use them with any internet payments like this. That is bad news that they jacked you like this. I hope others find out so word gets out. This is BS. I almost bought some of their pipes. Good to know now.
      10-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
Use American Express from now and you can stop payment with no problem whatsoever. I use them with any internet payments like this. That is bad news that they jacked you like this. I hope others find out so word gets out. This is BS. I almost bought some of their pipes. Good to know now.
+1... Amex for all internet/potentially shady purchases
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted305 View Post
That's funny....that's exactly what they did to me...practically word for word....

First, for whatever reason, they tried to say that I had bought the pipes over a year ago...even though my credit card statement proved that I bought them in February...

after that excuse held no water...

then, they told me they must have been installed wrong...so I had the mechanic that installed them call Riss...for those of you who are in the know, they were installed by ASR Engineering in Miami...a very high-end, very experienced shop...they work exclusively on BMW's, Porsche's, Benz's (if you're interested you can look them up, their cars speak for themselves)...this isn't some mickey mouse exhaust shop...they know what they're doing

Well after telling ME that it was a bad install, they told ASR that they (RISS) were aware of fitment issues and that's why they re-designed the pipes...

They then told ASR to have me call RISS back...which I did and they told me nearly verbatim what they told cstmx...that they were more than willing to swap out the old ones for the new "re-designed" pipes...

they even went so far as to offer me a free oil catch can for the trouble...so fine, I waited....and waited....and called...and waited....and e-mailed...and waited...meanwhile they kept giving me the run around telling me that all of the ones they had in stock were already "spoken for" and had been shipped out

....so I kept waiting patiently, and as weeks, then MONTHS went by with me periodically calling/e-mailing trying to find out when they were FINALLY going to take care of the problem as promised (during which I'm driving a beautiful German luxury sports car that sounds like a rattling old souped up Honda) I finally tried to press them on it...they decide to tell me that "after further consideration"....there's nothing wrong with the pipes they sent me...and again it was a bad install.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Unfortunately I am now in the middle of a credit card dispute with them...and you wouldn't believe the BS they are telling my credit card company...that I am just trying to get a set of their new designed pipes for free...

no, I simply want a set that doesn't make my car sound like it's falling apart when I drive it...

As a company they are doing a tremendous business, and there are so many posters who are very happy with their product...I simply can't fathom why they would treat myself and cstmx_ryder like that...it is just bad business, they can easily resolve the problem but chose instead to stick it to us for some unknown reason....

ASR will gladly verify all that I am stating here...this has been an extremely disappointing and dissatisfying experience to say the least

Just a little caveat for those of you considering their product....
+1

I never bitched about anything regarding those catless DPs, I simply wanted a set that actually have no fitment issues. I'm not trying to pull anything as far as trying to get a new set for an old one for no apparent reason. I paid for the product, and it's their responsibility to make sure that the end users are satisfied/happy with their products, period.

They also told me that the DPs were probably installed wrong, so i went back to the shop I got them installed at numberous times to get them to fix the issue. I even got one of RR's techs on the phone with my mechanic. The bottom line is, there's obviously a design flaw. So why not just man up and do something about it, RR?

IMHO, I don't care if there's a flaw in the design, because quite frankly, shit like that happens. But when it is apparent, I give more respect for those companies/businesses that man up to the issue, rather than trying to play it off like it's somebody else's fault.

I felt like I've been nice about it through the whole thing, but when push comes to shove, I WILL put you on BLAST, and let EVERYONE know EXACTLY what is going on........That was never my intention of my post, but since we're on the topic, might as well call it like it is. I'm calling a spade a spade, I guess........

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

boosted305 and cstmx_ryder have company. I had the recent pleasure of installing RR catless downpipes I bought from the original group buy. Not too hard of a job at all to get them in. Problem is, they do not fit well at all, and it's a problem with the fabrication, not the install. I've been doing this and far more complicated automotive technical/mechanical work for many many years, and I certainly know how to leave things loose to adjust prior to finally securing things in place. I'm no stranger to working with vband clamp systems either. These simply will not both seal properly and avoid conflict (I.E. rattling) at the same time, well not without cutting and that's out of the question.

I ended up trying every feasible adjustment, and promptly removed removed them with no more than 5 minutes of total run-time. There was no elusive magic to getting the stock catted pipes back in exactly as they should be with no leaks rattles, etc. Funny how I'm not competent enough to get these RR pipes in, yet the stockers went right back in with with no issues other than the displeasure of doing the job twice just to get back to stock.

I got the same line when I called, and now have these paperweights. I cannot ethically put them up for sale, so here they sit as a reminder of my mistake.

I would have even let this go and never have written anything about it on here, but seeing that others have apparently been though the same thing (using experienced installers who'd also normally laugh at such a simple job), I'll stand and be counted.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #29
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, I never knew that many(3 or so....) have issues with a mass produced DPs from RR, when they SHOULD fit, and 3 people or so just today has replied of the same things happened.

So if this is mass produced by a machine (the precision should be there), and sold to numerous people that either had them installed, or installed it themselves on identical cars. On top of that, word from RR is that they SHOULD fit and it's the install if it doesn't.......So all RR DPs SHOULD fit with no problems, or so I think......But that's not the case, per 2 other posts above by other forum members.

At this point, the only way to fix that issue is to move the DPs more towards the driver side, to avoid rubbing on the heat shield on the passenger side. But in doing so, we had to loosen the exhaust flanges by the secondary cats in order to PULL the exhaust pipes to bolt on to the DPs, especially the one on the passenger side(the short one, I think......). Then tighten the flanges back up when everything's bolted in and tightened.
So my passenger side exhaust now looks a bit off when viewed at a distance, not too noticeable but you can definitely see it.

I'm taking my car in for service next Monday, I'll see what the dealers can do about that........They're mod friendly, or else I wouldn't even attempt.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hear this Riss Racing???? We are listening to other customers and I will not buy your products after these 3 reviews.
      10-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #31
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep

I would not recommend that people don't buy their downpipes because of fitment issues they may be afraid of getting. It's been largely recognized that the newer version fits correctly. A few of us that bought early and installed later are simply out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #32
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertyu View Post
I would not recommend that people don't buy their downpipes because of fitment issues they may be afraid of getting. It's been largely recognized that the newer version fits correctly. A few of us that bought early and installed later are simply out of luck.
+1.

It's how RR treat their customers who bought the 1 gen of DPs that I have a problem with. I'm sure when it fits, their products are great, it's just that I think they need to strengthen their customer service. I mean, these are legitimate issues, not just some S@#% we made up.

It's not like I'm asking for a full refund. I like their product, when they fit, as I mentioned above. I just would like them to send me a set that fits, without making it seem like it's someone else's fault.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #33
boosted305
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that comment just bewilders me...."OUT OF LUCK"??

Why on earth should anyone who pays $1,000.00 for a product be "out of luck"...especially when the company selling that product KNOWS there are problems with it and as a result RE-DESIGNS that product...

I'm sorry, I'm not that forgiving with my hard earned $....If I buy a product, I expect it to work as advertised...not almost-as advertised...

Do I make more power now...sure, but I'm embarrassed to take a girl out in my BMW...pretty crappy trade-off...

To make things even worse, I paid $1,000.00 for a faulty product that they have since redesigned and charge on $700.00 for....talk about adding insult to injury

I mean not only have they flat out told some of us they know there's a problem and that's why they did a re-design...but then they refuse to take care of those customers who ended up with a faulty set of pipes...

that's not "out of luck"...

where I come from that's called getting "SCREWED"

If you can be so nonchalant as to take a screwing and call it being out of luck...then you are a shady company's sales dream my friend...

Their product is great...as long as you don't have any problems with it!

It's like saying...buy at your own risk...or "as is"...and if you have a problem with our product....too bad...you're "OUT OF LUCK"

They have the resources to correct the problem easily...I mean hell, there's only 3 guys here that have spoken up about the problems with Riss...THREE....

are you telling me they can't simply send those THREE guys pipes that FIT?

Instead they seem to have come up with every possible story to NOT correct the problem and just stick it to us

What does that tell you about them...is it just flat out greed? they can't absorb the small loss to correct an obvious and admitted design flaw that has left customers screwed?

Is that really the kind of company you want to take a chance buying a product from...

If you do, you better hope you don't have any problems with it....or you'll be "out of luck"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
NMS335
NA Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Guess ill be getting AR design now....

"Ex Vi Termini : With Strength Comes Limits"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS335 View Post
Guess ill be getting AR design now....

I did just that, skipped Riss Racing to avoid ever running into problems like the others have. I should get my AR Design downpipes this coming week!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #36
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am done considering anything made by these guys. Seriously, I bought some UR pipes instead. I haven't heard anything about those to this point.
      10-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #37
boosted305
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
Hear this Riss Racing???? We are listening to other customers and I will not buy your products after these 3 reviews.
They are conspicuous by their absence in responding to this thread....

"he who is silent is understood to consent"....

they know.....I just hope that others do too now...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #38
CyberTron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

I was in the original group buy too. RR promised to ship the free o2 sensor for the original group buy, which they said will ship and I've yet to get anything till now. I've also have fitment issues which i raised to them, but mine being a RHD, so I tot it probably a RHD specific issue, as I did inform RR about that after I got them installed, and they insist the fitment is perfect. So....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 04:04 AM   #39
meinauto
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335

o2 simms

...i am still waiting for mine as well. They said they would provide a set FOC since my catted DPs are throwing codes
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #40
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I am really sorry and suprised to hear about all of these issues with the downpipes. We had a lot of success with their parts on our E92 335 and have dealt with Anthony and Adam directly on everything from installation questions to simple understanding of how the setup is designed. Every single time, they were extremely helpful, responsive and always offered a solution if we ran into a hitch during the install.

Based on positive customer feedback, these DPs have been very successful thus far for both the E9X and E82 135 models. Anthony did mention to me that the first iterations of their DPs (back in winter/spring) did have fitment problems on some models but they corrected this before the summer and have since been producing the DPEs with the updated design. I am wondering if maybe you guys have the older design that is not changed to fit the E9X models. This might be something to check into because if that's the case, you will want to get your hands on the new design. Based on my experience installing on our E92, the new design is an easy install with no vibration or clearance issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #41
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
...you will want to get your hands on the new design. Based on my experience installing on our E92, the new design is an easy install with no vibration or clearance issues.
Sounds like a great idea since those fit and all. I just have that small problem of paying for a product twice before I get one that fits properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #42
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea since those fit and all. I just have that small problem of paying for a product twice before I get one that fits properly.
+1

I'm not going to pay twice, period. I would feel MUCH better if they actually respond to the posts regarding the fitment issue. And NO, I don't want to hear that it's the installer's fault. Even other vendor(s) realize that there was a fitment issue with the 1st gen DPs. How come RR can't admit to that as well?

So far, they're M.I.A. I just emailed Anthony yesterday, hopefully, he'll respond. IMHO, this is NOT the way to conduct business. Leaving their customer high and dry, and on top of that ignoring all the posts.

I WANT either of the two:
1. Refund my money and I'll ship the DPs back. I'll even pay for the uninstall, at this point, these DPs are no good to me.

2. Send me a set of the newly designed catless DPs. I'll send the old ones back.

I think either of the two solutions above is fair, what do you guys think?

Please chime in.......

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #43
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
+1

I'm not going to pay twice, period. I would feel MUCH better if they actually respond to the posts regarding the fitment issue. And NO, I don't want to hear that it's the installer's fault. Even other vendor(s) realize that there was a fitment issue with the 1st gen DPs. How come RR can't admit to that as well?

So far, they're M.I.A. I just emailed Anthony yesterday, hopefully, he'll respond. IMHO, this is NOT the way to conduct business. Leaving their customer high and dry, and on top of that ignoring all the posts.

I WANT either of the two:
1. Refund my money and I'll ship the DPs back. I'll even pay for the uninstall, at this point, these DPs are no good to me.

2. Send me a set of the newly designed catless DPs. I'll send the old ones back.

I think either of the two solutions above is fair, what do you guys think?

Please chime in.......
SORRY FOR NOT RESPONDING EARLIER I HAVE BEEN VERY ILL.....

Leland,

The design of the V1 DP's was not flawed. The reason for the change was to help with install time, and too try and increase the power output. Vishnu has the V1 pipes on their car, and Terry with Juice Box has the V1's on his car. James Clay bimmerworld has the V1's as featured in Roundel on his car. JLevis has a set on there car. I also have the V1's on my car. We also have hundreds of sets of V1s on other cars. So to say the design is flawed is incorrect. We worked with you and your installer who (has never installed a set of DPs before) until the problem was resolved, and last we left off everything was fine. I spent time on the phone with you as did our techs. We went above and beyond to make sure your situation was satisfactory. (We even said we would send a set of V2s our FOR FREE). If the issue wasn't resolved. However, the last we left off about a month ago everything was fine. This post shows up and all of the sudden your have an issue again? When I had no word from you before this, and since our last communication? This is now 115 days since your purchase. Our return policy is 30 days. If you would like further help please give me a call, and I will do what I can to take care of the situation. Thank you!

BOOSTED305

Here is the truth too this. This client bought a set of DPs and went to install them quite a few months later. Our return policy is very clear and it is 30 days. We have even returned things outside of 30 days as I am sure some people take time to put them on. However returning a product quite a few MONTHS later? No company does this.
Second I was on the phone with his tech personally a few times. He would at no time would get on the phone with my tech. All he kept saying is basically "i know what im doing" I asked if he could take pics of the issue so we could resolve it. He did not provide them. On top of all of this it left off with me saying let me see if we can find a resolution. During this time we were out of downpipes, and I was seeing if I could get my hands on a set from a vendor. The client then called his credit card company to dispute the purchase. He expected me to still send him another set of dps. So your telling me I need to send you a set of new dps, your going to dispute the charge to get your money back, and your going to keep the previous set of DPs? Due to his unreasonable requests I could not make this client happy and I am sorry for that.

To both of you I am still here and willing to help resolve the issue. I am sorry if you are unhappy, and if there is anything I can do within reason to help please call me ASAP. Thank you!

Anybody that has not gotton an O2 SIM from the orginal group buy please EMAIL me. So I can make sure you get it. If you reply on the forum I cannot look you up by your forum name in our sales database. Please send an email with your order number or full name / address information so we can take care of you. Thanks!

Last edited by Riss Racing; 10-08-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #44
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
SORRY FOR NOT RESPONDING EARLIER I HAVE BEEN VERY ILL.....

Leland,

The design of the V1 DP's was not flawed. The reason for the change was to help with install time, and too try and increase the power output. Vishnu has the V1 pipes on their car, and Terry with Juice Box has the V1's on his car. James Clay bimmerworld has the V1's as featured in Roundel on his car. JLevis has a set on there car. I also have the V1's on my car. We also have hundreds of sets of V1s on other cars. So to say the design is flawed is incorrect. We worked with you and your installer who (has never installed a set of DPs before) until the problem was resolved, and last we left off everything was fine. I spent time on the phone with you as did our techs. We went above and beyond to make sure your situation was satisfactory. (We even said we would send a set of V2s our FOR FREE). If the issue wasn't resolved. However, the last we left off about a month ago everything was fine. This post shows up and all of the sudden your have an issue again? When I had no word from you before this, and since our last communication? This is now 115 days since your purchase. Our return policy is 30 days. If you would like further help please give me a call, and I will do what I can to take care of the situation. Thank you!
Anthony,

I understand that there are people who has your 1st gen of DPs and had no issues. But, why not start by addressing the ones that DO have an issue. I just got my car back from Rassmusson BMW. I had them double check the install, make sure nothings leaking, and everything's tightened, etc. They said nothing about any of those, but the design of the DPs. They (Rassmusson BMW) were well aware of the vibration cause by your DPs. The reason for that is because the DPs were touching the sub-frame of my car, hence the vibration.

So you're telling me that a BMW dealership don't know what they're doing either when it comes to installing TWO pipes and the only hardware involved were the V-Band clamps and the bolts that go on the exhaust......smells like BS to me.

The reason why I hadn't contacted you was because I THOUGHT the issue was resolved. But it came back, which means that there's something else wrong, and it's not the install, because I haven't touched it since. Also, from what I remember from the email you sent me, you said you had no problem sending me a new set if that problem persisted. It was YOU that offered me that option, but when I actually pressed you on sending me out a new set, what was the answer you gave me? It was something along the line of 'what are we going to do with a used set of DPs?' To me, that doesn't sound like you're manning up to your words of sending me a new set.

Anyway, obviously you guys realized (and other vender(s) too) that there was some design flaw in the 1st gen DPs. Or else, why would you go though all the time and trouble of improving the design? If you guys went through all that just to come up with a better design for the new DPs, WHY couldn't you take care of the THREE customers that had issues with them?

Your answer to that is 'easier and faster installation'? So it takes what, about 45 min for the installation of the new DPs versus the 1+ hours for the old ones? It is VERY hard for me to believe that that was the SOLE reason for the redesign of the DPs. Sounds like there's more to it than that.

Explain to me this then.....How is it that it's EASIER to install these new DPs versus the old. Come on, the clearance on the car given to work with the DPs didn't change, obviously the car didn't change, neither did the placement of the turbos or the exhaust pipes. So the only variable left, is the DPs themselves. Two words, DESIGN FLAW!!

I would like either of the two to be done, and I think they're both within reason:

1. Full refund of my money, I'll send them back, you can do whatever you want with them, I can care less.

2. Send me a new set with the 'new' design, and hopefully they FIT better. I'll still send the 1st gen DPs back.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0