E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Comfort access; PARTIAL retrofit? possible?

04-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Comfort access; PARTIAL retrofit? possible?

comfort access is great, anyone who has it can vouch for this.
retrofitting comfort access is a massive pain in the backside, also vouch-able

but, why retrofit the entire comfort access system when you can save parts costs + install time by only installing part of it?

basically, only install the modules, two antennas near the DRIVER door, as well as the comfort access handle on only the driver door....

you'd need to get the comfort access keys and program them of course, but this would cut out a large chunk of cost from parts as well as labor cost from a shop or time spent DIY

has anyone tried this? would not having all the components in the system make it confused?
      04-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
mact3333
Captain

Drives: 11' Audi S4

some guy from Russia or Poland did this...it was a lot of money and effort.
      04-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Metblack328i
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i RWD Sedan

I have seen the videos of the install and the kit comes with all the antennas already attached (total 6 I think - 4 doors + 1 trunk + 1 ignition). So I am not sure how you could just rip off all the unwanted cables from the unit. Plus routing this antenna into the door and to the trunk is PITA. My suggestion is to just manage until until you sell the car and get a car that has the comfort access.
      05-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

that's why i was talking about a partial retrofit, metblack. the control module sits in the dashboard somewhere, and i'd only install ONE driver door antenna plus ONE comfort access door handle
      05-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Broken_Gearbox
Captain

Drives: E92

Would you consider the viper pke?

http://www.lockdownsecuritycanada.ca....aspx?id=38523
      05-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox View Post
hmm, would that actually install onto an e90? or would it be an extremely arduous task
      05-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Broken_Gearbox
Captain

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/.../200913809.pdf it would install perfectly. You'd need an alarm and or smart start unit made by directed electronics e.g. Viper, clifford or python. These units integrate beautifully with our canbus.
      05-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/.../200913809.pdf it would install perfectly. You'd need an alarm and or smart start unit made by directed electronics e.g. Viper, clifford or python. These units integrate beautifully with our canbus.
it has a remote start capabilities too?
hmmmmmmm

what components, exactly, would i need for this? wouldnt i need a bmw bypass?
      05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Broken_Gearbox
Captain

Yes for a remote start option you would need a directed electronics immobilizer bypass.
      05-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Yes for a remote start option you would need a directed electronics immobilizer bypass.
as in one of these, the "key coffin"?
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elect.../dp/B0051MV01U

also would you need one of these for enabling comfort access like operations like proximity unlock and the push button start without inserting the key?
and is there a certain T-harness for the e90 that plugs into this xpress kit module to make all this magic happen?

EDIT; basically im asking for a shopping list here, everything i would need to get the same effects as comfort access

Last edited by joekitch; 05-06-2014 at 06:55 AM.
      05-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Broken_Gearbox
Captain

Yes you need one like that for remote start purposes only.

The Viper PKE (Passive Keyless Entry) can be installed as a stand alone system. All it is doing is working in collaboration with your locking and unlocking system. Nothing else.

I think the Viper PKE Kit is available from around $180. An approved installer would give you a warranty.

A video of the possibilities:

Make your shopping list here:

http://www.viper.com/Car/Build/

You can get a SMART KEY so you don't need the PKE kit if you intend to use a SMART Phone to lock/unlock.
      05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
joekitch
Second Lieutenant

actually, any chance you can list exact modules needed for an e90? you seem to be familiar with the whole viper architecture
      05-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
Broken_Gearbox
Captain

First of all buy it from an authorized vendor for your warranty. Secondly, it won't be a straight forward DIY fit. I would say budget between $500-800 depending on where you live and who you use. Third point, make sure you use a reputable firm and read what recommendations you can.

Parts List:

1. Xpresskit DLB: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UoifVdb...le.html?tp=157 (or you may require a different version of this. Your installer will know).

2. Bluetooth Interface: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607VSM5...th-Module.html because the smart start key that works via GSM on your mobile can take up to 5 seconds to unlock/lock depending on signal from your mobile depending on quality of signal. With the Bluetooth module you can send a bluetooth signal and be more specific with the range. For example, unlock the car when 5ft near the car. Probably less distance if you live in a city dwelling for security reasons. This also means you don't need to take out a GSM subscription with viper, $99 a year. The unit costs around $130

3. Any of the following Remote Start Systems will be compatible: 4806, 4706, 4704, 4606, 4205, 4204, 4203, 4105, 4104, 4103.

- If you don't want to use your phone to lock and unlock your vehicle via walking toward it/away from it with bluetooth on then go for the Viper PKE kit instead.

The Viper Website tells you all you need to get for your install. In rare cases you need a different xpresskit but that is not a big deal.

Other than that I am not an expert Viper Installer.

Here is what I went for on my system:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849292

I don't ever have my hands full so chose not to go for PKE or Smart Key. It does not even get that cold here to use SMART START and idle for the N52K is a no-no so I left that out of my list when I had it done.

Hope that helps.