E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW will not honor my brake service at 6k miles!

08-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Biturbo335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/Coral E92 335i Coupe

BMW will not honor my brake service at 6k miles!

So I made an appt. for my car at the dealer this week to have the brakes checked because the brake light remained on after releasing the E-brake, and the brakes have been making some noise for quite some time. I get a call from the SA, very nice guy, known him for a good period of time, and he said they called their rep because my car was saying it had 397,000 miles left until it needed a brake service, and that the pads were almost completely gone, and they definitely needed to be changed before they got to the rotors.

My car only has 6k miles on it... HOW CAN THIS BE??? They said they will not honor changing the pads for me because of how low the mileage is. They kept asking me if I tracked the car, and I said no I drive it to work.

Are they allowed to deny my brake service because of how low the miles are? When it said free maintinence for 4 years, 50k miles, I did not see anything anywhere that listed any exceptions to their agreement.

Please let me know what I can do if I have any other options.

Thanks,
Bryan
2007 E92 335i - Alpine White, Coral, 6 Speed MT, Premium, Sport, Painted Reflectors, GT thunder Angel Eyes, M-Tec Fogs, Cyba CF Kidney Grills, Black OEM Lower Mesh, OEM Aero-Lip, 19" Staggered Matte Black VMR CSL Reps, General Exclaims - 235 Front and 265 Rear, Black Window Trim, BMS Dual Filter Intake, Britalman Catback Exhaust, CF Mirrors, CF M3 trunk lip, 5% Tint, Lamin-X Tinted Tails, Split Second Turbo Tuner.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

What ideas do you have for why the pads wore out so quickly?

I had the same weird software glitch in which the computer said I had something like 396,000 miles before brake service. But mine still have plenty of wear left on them at 21k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Odd, I have a pretty good relationship with my SA now so I can see that is key. I am curious to see what others have said. I haven't seen a set of pads go out that fast either really.
      08-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Could it be that the brakes were not releasing properly and therefore constantly on to some degree? When you drove the car did it feel like that might have been happening? A few thousand miles with the brakes always on would age them quickly.
      08-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I had a similar problem and my dealership didn't want to cover the brakes either.
They said that i must have driven around with the e-brake on for a while.
I complained and refused to pay. I just told them that i was going to talk to BMWNA and tell them this was ridiculous and i will not buy another BMW with poor service like this.
They changed their mind and decided to cover everything under warrenty.
I don't know if your car is 6MT but mine is and i think that the problem that i had was the Hill Assist wasn't releasing all the way.
They replaced my pads, shoes and rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
I had a similar problem and my dealership didn't want to cover the brakes either.
They said that i must have driven around with the e-brake on for a while.
I complained and refused to pay. I just told them that i was going to talk to BMWNA and tell them this was ridiculous and i will not buy another BMW with poor service like this.
They changed their mind and decided to cover everything under warrenty.
I don't know if your car is 6MT but mine is and i think that the problem that i had was the Hill Assist wasn't releasing all the way.
They replaced my pads, shoes and rotors.
This is funny since the e brake is a drum brake that is inside the rear rotors.
The e brake has nothing to do with the regular brakes.
If you went into the dealer because of the regular brakes and they said that it was the e brake then they are a bunch of morons!

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
This is funny since the e brake is a drum brake that is inside the rear rotors.
The e brake has nothing to do with the regular brakes.
If you went into the dealer because of the regular brakes and they said that it was the e brake then they are a bunch of morons!
Well that goes without saying. . .
I usually go to crevier for everything. . . They usually do very well and i'm always happy.
For the brakes i took it to Nick Alexander Imports because that's where the car is originally from and this seemed like a big job so i needed a loaner
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
ss109
'Ringer
Rep
Drives: 1990 325i, 2007 335i

My dealer replaced my pads and rotors at low mileage and I am very open about tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
seanl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i 6-Speed

Quote:
because that's where the car is originally from and this seemed like a big job so i needed a loaner
I'm a new 335i owner (first BMW actually) and I was under the impression that I'll be getting a loaner from any dealer that I chose to provide my service. I bought my car at BMW SF which is 40 miles from my house b/c they had the right car at the right price. I took the car to my local dealer 10 min from my house to fix the rear ashtray (wouldn't stay closed) a week after I bought the car and they seemed happy to earn my service business. I didn't need a loaner car for a 30 min. fix but am I mistaken in believing that if I have to bring the car in for any overnight work that I'll be provided a loaner regardless of where I bought the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Sh0cker
n00b
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanl View Post
am I mistaken in believing that if I have to bring the car in for any overnight work that I'll be provided a loaner regardless of where I bought the car?
That's entirely up to your dealer but my experience is that most will give you a loaner without any hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
Biturbo335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/Coral E92 335i Coupe

They ended up not replacing them even after I called and spoke to BMWNA... They said it was my driving habits... oh well, I just ordered the Centric Posi-Quiet pads so I'll be installing them this weekend.

My brake light is on, on the dash, and the dealer told me I need to replace the brake pad sensors... I ordered both of the sensors... is this true that I have to replace them?

Bryan
2007 E92 335i - Alpine White, Coral, 6 Speed MT, Premium, Sport, Painted Reflectors, GT thunder Angel Eyes, M-Tec Fogs, Cyba CF Kidney Grills, Black OEM Lower Mesh, OEM Aero-Lip, 19" Staggered Matte Black VMR CSL Reps, General Exclaims - 235 Front and 265 Rear, Black Window Trim, BMS Dual Filter Intake, Britalman Catback Exhaust, CF Mirrors, CF M3 trunk lip, 5% Tint, Lamin-X Tinted Tails, Split Second Turbo Tuner.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
I'm a new 335i owner (first BMW actually) and I was under the impression that I'll be getting a loaner from any dealer that I chose to provide my service. I bought my car at BMW SF which is 40 miles from my house b/c they had the right car at the right price. I took the car to my local dealer 10 min from my house to fix the rear ashtray (wouldn't stay closed) a week after I bought the car and they seemed happy to earn my service business. I didn't need a loaner car for a 30 min. fix but am I mistaken in believing that if I have to bring the car in for any overnight work that I'll be provided a loaner regardless of where I bought the car?
It's not necessarily true. BMW dealers are independently owned so each has its own policy. Some dealers will not give you a loaner if you didn't buy the car from them (same goes for topping off oil).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I purchased my '06 330i from Weatherford BMW and my wifes '04 325i from East Bay BMW. I've always taken it to East Bay for the 4yr/ 50k mile maintenance free work. They have always taken care of me with THEIR free loaner cars. I believe that each dealership may have different policies with their loaner cars
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biturbo335i View Post
They ended up not replacing them even after I called and spoke to BMWNA... They said it was my driving habits... oh well, I just ordered the Centric Posi-Quiet pads so I'll be installing them this weekend.
There is not a chance in hell that I would be paying for new brake pads. Buying aftermarket pads will doom you to having to replace them EVERY time. These are performance oriented cars. Look BMW, you offer free maintenance including brake pads so ante up and give me what I paid for!
Appreciate 0