E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Climate Control REST function

11-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

i have a 2008 335xi i dont see this button anywhere. do i have it? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

The REST function incorporates an auxiliary coolant circulation pump located in the engine bay close to the passenger wheel well, when you hit the rest button and the appropriate parameters have been met this powers up and circulates coolant through the heater coil in the cabin, providing residual heat from the engine/coolant until it drops too cool or the battery voltage drops too low therefore I think simply coding the car and replacing "ALL" with the rest function won't be possible as you'll be missing the circulation pump!
      11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Probably in the minority here but much prefer the button functioning as "All" in my LCI. I had the Rest function in my old 330d and never used it. Much prefer the All function of keeping the temps in synch.

Interestingly the new F30 I had the other week had neither function and looks like it does Max air con. Cost saving again I suppose...........

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #26
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
As this is now going off topic, I'll chuck in my 2p

Does anyone actally use the dual zone AC? I set both sides to how warm or cool I want the car - always the same temperature. If the passenger doesn't llike it, they can close the vents on their side.

AFAIK there is only one cabin temperature sensor, which is in the middle of the console - so I genuinely don't know how it can try to keep 2 temperatures.
      11-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
AFAIK there is only one cabin temperature sensor, which is in the middle of the console - so I genuinely don't know how it can try to keep 2 temperatures.
BMW Data:

Quote:
The temperature inside the vehicle is controlled by means of a master controller.

Control is based on the nominal values set and the calculated actual value (the nominal values are set with 2 temperature selector knobs. The actual value is calculated from the temperatures measured by the interior temperature sensor and the footwell temperature sensor).

The lead parameter is calculated from the comparison between the actual value for the interior temperature and the corrected nominal value (calculated from temperature request, interior temperature and ambient temperature). Compared to the set specification, the interior temperature is raised in the cold so that a comfortable level is achieved even at negative temperatures, despite the temperature setting being unchanged.

The ambient temperature is transmitted to the IHKA control unit via the K-CAN.

The separate temperature setting for the driver's side and the front-passenger side makes 2 mixer flaps necessary.
So it appears to use the two temperature requests, two sensors and corrected values. Adjusting via the two (sided) mixer flaps.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #28
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

I may be wrong, but i have a pre lci so cant actually check. I remember reading in a different thread that if you hold the ALL button for a few seconds it activastes the REST function.

Those of you wih lci models may want to try. Hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #29
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

can you convert the rest button to be an all button on the pre-lci?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
m連helly
'11 N55 335ix sport, '00 M5, '88 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix, 2000 M5, 1988 M3

More Info, please?

Can someone provide more info on the REST function on newer cars with the ALL button? Perhaps a link to how to reprogram, if possible?

When I picked up my 'new' car last week, the salesman went over a bunch of the features, and mentioned the REST feature, but it isn't listed in the car's manual. I have an ALL button though, which I could do without. My fault though; I was so excited about picking up the car, I only took in about 50% of what he was discussing with me about the I-Drive functionality.

I found the Vent function and timer under Climate Settings, but that's not quite the same thing. That would be useful in the hot, humid summer months to activate right before leaving work, after the car has been baking in the sun all day.

I live in a cold climate, and I would much prefer having a functioning REST button, so I wouldn't have to leave the car run when I run into the convenience store to buy a cup of hot coffee for my commute.

More info, please? Or a link to the method of reprogramming would be much appreciated.

m連helly
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #31
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Question

I think the ALL button is a REST button but you access the REST function differently.

I've also heard rumors that as a result you can code an ALL button to act like a REST button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m連helly View Post
Can someone provide more info on the REST function on newer cars with the ALL button? Perhaps a link to how to reprogram, if possible?

When I picked up my 'new' car last week, the salesman went over a bunch of the features, and mentioned the REST feature, but it isn't listed in the car's manual. I have an ALL button though, which I could do without. My fault though; I was so excited about picking up the car, I only took in about 50% of what he was discussing with me about the I-Drive functionality.

I found the Vent function and timer under Climate Settings, but that's not quite the same thing. That would be useful in the hot, humid summer months to activate right before leaving work, after the car has been baking in the sun all day.

I live in a cold climate, and I would much prefer having a functioning REST button, so I wouldn't have to leave the car run when I run into the convenience store to buy a cup of hot coffee for my commute.

More info, please? Or a link to the method of reprogramming would be much appreciated.

m連helly

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0