E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Maui Fishing

07-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Maui Fishing

My brother just moved to Maui and bought a house on the west coast of the island. Have a free place to stay now! Wife and I are going for Thanksgiving and researching fishing. We want to do some big game sport fishing(Marlin, tuna, wahoo, dolphin). Always hard to find a boat that puts the extra effort in and works hard to find big fish. Word of mouth reveals alot more than looking at their websites. Anyone have any experience with Sport Fishers on the island?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

There's always Start Me Up sportfishing and a few others listed here:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/hawaiian-fishing/

Once I find the boat I charted, I'll forward to you. Good 6 pack operation, we caught some fatty yellowfin. Since it's a just a few of you, might be better of with some cheaper outfits with smaller skiff's. Depends if you want to pay for the luxury, since no matter who you go with, you'll be trolling & hitting up the bouy's anyways. GL

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
There's always Start Me Up sportfishing and a few others listed here:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/hawaiian-fishing/

Once I find the boat I charted, I'll forward to you. Good 6 pack operation, we caught some fatty yellowfin. Since it's a just a few of you, might be better of with some cheaper outfits with smaller skiff's. Depends if you want to pay for the luxury, since no matter who you go with, you'll be trolling & hitting up the bouy's anyways. GL
Thanks. I look forward to your forward

Did some research on Maui fishing. Its the furthest island from deep water(Marlin). I wouldnt mind catching all the others I listed in my first post but Blue Marlin is numero uno for this trip. Gonna need a fast 6 pack to get to good water. A good hour and a half ride each way from Maui ports. Fished Kona 3 years ago and the spread was in the water going out the inlet! 5,000 ft a half mile off the beach! A smaller skiff hitting the near buoys for dolphin arent going to do it for me. please send me that info. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My bad, it was Oahu I charted out of, here's the link:

http://www.sport-fishing-hawaii.com/

FWIW

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My bad, it was Oahu I charted out of, here's the link:

http://www.sport-fishing-hawaii.com/

FWIW
Thanks for the link.

Checked out the bloodydecks site you provided also. I remember that site from my research a couple years ago when I Marlin fished the big island. Did some reading there last night and thinking we might take a hop to Kona to fish. Kona boats are cheaper(deep water much closer) and the chance for trophy fish is greater. Still trying to decide what to do. Kona is the Blue Marlin Capital of the World and should just about break even, give or take on charter savings vs. airflight fare.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Hi-Life
Ate Oh Ate
Rep
Drives: Red Dragon

The interisland flights have gotten very expensive over the last few months. It used to be 125-150 to island hope. Lately its been in the 250 range. I fished out of maui once with start me up in Lahaina. It was a good trip the guys were cool it is a hour boat ride to the south side of Lanai where the fishing happens. That day we hooked up to a 285lb pacific blue marlin. I've been fishing out of Kona numerous times and enjoyed the sights from Kona much better. The lines are in the water a lot longer when fishing out of Kona also, so there is a greater chance in catching something.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Life View Post
The interisland flights have gotten very expensive over the last few months. It used to be 125-150 to island hope. Lately its been in the 250 range. I fished out of maui once with start me up in Lahaina. It was a good trip the guys were cool it is a hour boat ride to the south side of Lanai where the fishing happens. That day we hooked up to a 285lb pacific blue marlin. I've been fishing out of Kona numerous times and enjoyed the sights from Kona much better. The lines are in the water a lot longer when fishing out of Kona also, so there is a greater chance in catching something.
Thanks, Didnt know the prices for the hops were that much.

I read some good posts about Start me up and some real bad ones also. Hard to decide. There are fewer boats to choose from in Maui than Kona. Im going to call my agent today and see what hop prices are. I would be very satisfied with a 250+ lb Blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

FYI, not sure what the season is like down in Hawaii, but here locally & in SD the season is pretty slow compared to a regular year.

Different climate & might not affect the fishing in hawaii, but it's not always the 'norm' catching a +250lb blue.

GL & hope you find a captain who's not afraid to burn fuel to find the fish

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Hi-Life
Ate Oh Ate
Rep
Drives: Red Dragon

This year has been strange. I know a few deck hands on boats in Kona and the fishing hasn't been very good this year. If you are going out fishing dont be dissappointed if you come home empty handed. It happens a good chunk of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FYI, not sure what the season is like down in Hawaii, but here locally & in SD the season is pretty slow compared to a regular year.

Different climate & might not affect the fishing in hawaii, but it's not always the 'norm' catching a +250lb blue.

GL & hope you find a captain who's not afraid to burn fuel to find the fish
Nov. isnt a prime month for Blues, only fair. It is the best time for Big Eye Tuna and Dolphin. According to charts I've seen anyway. Been checking some old reports and there are Marlin caught so its kind of a gamble. I'll be happy with Big tuna, wahoo and dolphin but need to add my first Marlin to the list of fish caught. I have lots of time to research finding someone who will do the right thing. By saying my brother lives there they have more incentive to catch fish. Return customers pay these guys bills. thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

oops, must've skipped the 'Thanksgiving' part

Yeah, Nov/Dec is better for the bigs. You'll be fine

Appreciate 0