E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Parking Assist / Auto dimming mirror not working

02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
infiniteecho
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Parking Assist / Auto dimming mirror not working

Hello all,

I've just purchased my BMW a couple weeks ago and so I am still getting used to everything in the car. I've noticed that my front and rear parking sensors are not functioning. I thought the sales guy had just turned them off but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the little green light to come on above the little cone button on the lower dash.

I've also noticed that my auto-dimming rearview mirror is not functioning. Is there a compas in there behind the glass someplace as well? If so, it too is not displaying.

Do you know if these two functions share a fuse?

I've also noticed some kind of tick from the motor. It's not direct injection injector duty tick. It is only at idle, not 100% of the time (maybe 10 or 15%?) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it in regards to outside temp or temp of the motor. If I rev the motor ever so slightly the tick will go away and it might come back maybe 50% of the time. The motor runs fine, pulls hard, etc etc. Just a seemingly random tick. Thoughts on this as well?

I've not been to the dealer yet. Figured I'd cover all my bases before heading in. I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer. Hoping they're not going to give me much issue. The car is an 09 with 30K miles. I'm due for a service shortly so I figure I'll have them just look at everything when I drop it off.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
john_e90bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver

Do you notice anything else not working? Try manually turning the fan blower to max (not defrost but front vents), you should really hear/feel the fan blowing from the front vents. If it's not blowing strong then I suspect it's your battery going (Your car is also an 08 so age of the battery is suspect). The car's computer starts shutting down convenience items to conserve the battery, autodimming mirrors and park assist are convenience items, along with blower fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
infiniteecho
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_e90bimmer View Post
Do you notice anything else not working? Try manually turning the fan blower to max (not defrost but front vents), you should really hear/feel the fan blowing from the front vents. If it's not blowing strong then I suspect it's your battery going (Your car is also an 08 so age of the battery is suspect). The car's computer starts shutting down convenience items to conserve the battery, autodimming mirrors and park assist are convenience items, along with blower fan.
Hello John,

Thanks for the input. Fan blows strong. Played with that plenty. Car cranks right over no problem too and starts right up. I don't suspect this is a battery issue.

I'd be interested to know if they share a fuse though.
Appreciate 0