E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > JamJay's E93

04-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

JamJay's E93

So I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to my E93 335i seeing as its off down the slippery slope of modification.

Here she is when I first picked her up. I wont bore you with the spec but has it all bar iDrive and the 19" wheels, iDrive I didn't care for but MV3's were a drawback and something I always planned to replace. I actually took these from just by the showroom as I paid for it, very excitedly I handed over the cash.

She's a BMW AUC and IMO is the only way to go when buying something expensive. I'm a picky man and she's been back to the dealer once or twice as I've strived for 'perfection'. Service history is bang on and no expense spared, even more so now she's mine .

I got her home and cleaned her with my army of Chemical Guys products, she's cleaned weekly without fail. A thorough clean is a PH Neutral Shampoo followed by a Clay Bar, Polish, Glaze, Sealant, Wax & then Gummi Pflege on all of the roof, windows & door seals, I perform the lot every 3mths. Weekly she gets good shampoo followed by a detailing mist, then a new coat of wax every month. This is how she stood until 2mths back.

Now since, she's been treated to a COBB tune which I love. I think the problem being that I came from a highly tuned, lighter car so the E93 felt sluggish but I might add, still quick. However, since the COBB Stage 1 Aggressive I've felt no disappointment in power, this thing is lethal and relentless, a very quick car. Installation is as simple as hooking up to the OBD port and map changes are a 2min thing at the roadside as you please, simple.

Next up I decided that I couldn't take that awful front arch gap any longer. I'm really happy with the M-Sport suspension so I discounted springs and for the time being, replacement aftermarket shocks. Instead I opted for Supreme Power spring perches, these are a deeper top perch and lower the front by 15-20mm, a noticeable drop, more so in person. At the same time I added Bimmec 15mm rear spacers, I think the two combined are about as much as you can help the MV3. Spring perches are easy to do, it's a case of nuts, bolts and a spring compressor. I hate those things and I'm always so careful to use them, a slipped spring could kill you quite literally. Spacers? Enough said, 5min job.

This satisfaction lasted about 3weeks and I was always really smitten with the MV4 so the months-long hunt continued. I finally found some in mint condition, I picked them up today actually and they'll be going on within the next week, FK452 rubber to accompany. This came at a good time as in 1mth we're off to Brands Hatch and I was determined not to do it in RFTs, that and also the fact that the RFTs are near new. I need to decide whether to sell the MV3s or not really, I know they're worth a fair bit in their immaculate condition. I think the 15mm spacers are going to be a little much so expect to see these in the For Sale section soon, perfect for anyone with MV3s.

I also swapped out my OE angel eye bulbs to bright white GP Thunder bulbs which I really liked however, I think the yellow light actually looks much more aggressive so they are going back in, not to mention that they appear brighter in daylight and for the amount of nobs on the road, it's not a bad thing to be seen.

So there you have it, the story of my car...so far . FMIC and DPs planned very soon and then who knows what. I'll update as I go.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Cozy; 04-16-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Lovely car mate, will look even better with the wheels on! good choice!
      04-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
na51rsh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 2.0i SE

Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Looking good.

I'm sure we will see more updates in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Great stuff! Get the intercooler done quick as it's an easy mod and stage 1+fmic is awesome - I nearly wasn't going to bother with dp's (although still did **mod bug**)

The new alloys will add so much to the looks, and good choice on the perches - helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Nice motor
      04-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice e93 there!
Saw your profile pic, is it the lcr mk1?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the comments .

It was actually down to you, Nigelo, that I got the perches so thank you for the heads up.

Tak, yes that was my old MK1. Sorely missed but she went to a good home, a traffic cop bought her in fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Looks good mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
greggS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E46 325ci

Beautiful car buddy, stylishly and tastefully done
      04-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Very nice buddy
      04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
nice car!....hope 2 have a passenger ride soon! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again people , I'm ordering the tyres for the MV4's today so I hope this weekend she'll have a new look. I thought about CSL reps but I really want to keep that OEM look, especially with the tune, it makes it a bit of a surprise weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
nice car!....hope 2 have a passenger ride soon! ;-)
Offer still open buddy! Did you book the Brands Hatch day?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Looks good JJ

Personally I'd leave the wheels in the lounge as a statement piece,they add a certain elegance to the radiator

What offsets are the new wheels,OEM?
You'll need to get the new tyres scrubbed up for Brands,Falkens need a good 1K miles before you feel the benefit of the new tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Looks good JJ

Personally I'd leave the wheels in the lounge as a statement piece,they add a certain elegance to the radiator

What offsets are the new wheels,OEM?
You'll need to get the new tyres scrubbed up for Brands,Falkens need a good 1K miles before you feel the benefit of the new tyres.
Why thank you! I've put the idea to the Mrs of converting the MV3's into a coffee table but she wasn't impressed . I'll store then for a bit and mull over my decision, main reason to keep them is the RFT's and ease of selling to a dealer one day.

Standard offsets so I imagine a 10mm spacer would suite the rears and 5mm/7mm front, IIRC you said your 12mm rubbed when the car was laden?

Doing 1000miles pre-Brands won't happen, I've barely done that in 7mths so I guess I'll have to actually use the car & do some launches . I guess revving the car a little harder won't hurt it, I hope my normally gentle driving won't have spoilt it too much though!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #16
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Nice work Jamjay, resisting the temptation to map mine at the minute but it's getting harder and harder. I am trying to stick to cosmetic mods only at the moment and your thread has inspired me so I will do a before and after once I have the aero splitter and new wheels on too. am keen to see your car with the new wheels on too. You've also sent me on the hunt for some perches so thanks for making me spend yet more money on the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #17
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Why thank you! I've put the idea to the Mrs of converting the MV3's into a coffee table but she wasn't impressed . I'll store then for a bit and mull over my decision, main reason to keep them is the RFT's and ease of selling to a dealer one day.

Standard offsets so I imagine a 10mm spacer would suite the rears and 5mm/7mm front, IIRC you said your 12mm rubbed when the car was laden?

Doing 1000miles pre-Brands won't happen, I've barely done that in 7mths so I guess I'll have to actually use the car & do some launches . I guess revving the car a little harder won't hurt it, I hope my normally gentle driving won't have spoilt it too much though!
10mm's on the rear will do fine,I'm assuming your upsizing with the Falkens - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19?

I'll have to get mine (car) out of mothballs,charge the battery, change the wheels,refit the exhaust tips,rear diffuser,grills and number plates!

Let me know if you need anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Nice work Jamjay, resisting the temptation to map mine at the minute but it's getting harder and harder. I am trying to stick to cosmetic mods only at the moment and your thread has inspired me so I will do a before and after once I have the aero splitter and new wheels on too. am keen to see your car with the new wheels on too. You've also sent me on the hunt for some perches so thanks for making me spend yet more money on the car!
Thanks for the kind words but apologies for nailing your wallet ! The user I dealt with on here for the spring perches was Tam@SupremePower, very helpful and very fast delivery, it was only our customs that held it up. I believe with duty the total for the perches was £90, fitting was free as I did that myself. I enjoyed the job, it gave me a chance to look over the suspension and see if everything was good, to my satisfaction it was all gleaming under there still.

Looking forward to seeing your SE take shape, all they're missing is an aero lip and then they gain a nice aggressive look . What wheels are you looking at and what wheels do you have now? I really like the style 230 (19" twists) wheels on the SE.

More than welcome to come for a spin if you're ever in the Surrey area, it should make your mind up about a tune .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
10mm's on the rear will do fine,I'm assuming your upsizing with the Falkens - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19?

I'll have to get mine (car) out of mothballs,charge the battery, change the wheels,refit the exhaust tips,rear diffuser,grills and number plates!

Let me know if you need anything.
Yup, upsizing to 235/35/19 & 265/30/19 as recommended on here. I've managed to get the lot for a touch over £500 fitted, balanced and on the car. Cheaper than I could source them anywhere else inc Camskill.

It sounds like you might need the help with that lot , give me a shout if you need!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks again people , I'm ordering the tyres for the MV4's today so I hope this weekend she'll have a new look. I thought about CSL reps but I really want to keep that OEM look, especially with the tune, it makes it a bit of a surprise weapon.

Offer still open buddy! Did you book the Brands Hatch day?
no...still thinkin about it.... it took me about 2 yrs to buy a JB Plus!....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
no...still thinkin about it.... it took me about 2 yrs to buy a JB Plus!....
Haha well I believe it may be booked up now and names are on a waiting list for drop-outs however, you could always pop down for a bit and watch us all tear about.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing your SE take shape, all they're missing is an aero lip and then they gain a nice aggressive look . What wheels are you looking at and what wheels do you have now? I really like the style 230 (19" twists) wheels on the SE.

More than welcome to come for a spin if you're ever in the Surrey area, it should make your mind up about a tune .
Currently got the 189 18"s which aren't too bad to be honest but they don't really pop or fill the arches nearly enough. I also really want to ditch the RFT's as they are horrid especially on the convertibles plus the non-rft tyres will be cheaper in the long term (Man maths at work). I'd be interested to here your experiences of the Falken 19's once you get them on. I also think alloys make a huge difference to the appearance of the 3 series. I am actually considering jumping on the Alufelgen GB as I think it's a pretty decent price.

Thanks for the kind offer on the pax ride but I am resisting going in any mapped 335i's at the moment as I know I'll just end up spending more money!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

189's also look good, I've seen a few white M-Sport coupe's with black 189s on although they looked bigger than 18" I would say, I thought they were 19's but must just be the prominent fat 5-spoke design. Agreed though, 18" is just too small for the E92/93.

Alufulgen's look a good bet, I was considering also but opted for the OEM look, I got the wheels at a great price that I couldn't ignore really. A little while back I came across a company selling 230 replica's for around £500 if those might be of interest.
Appreciate 0