E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Well, I think I have been hit with HPFP problem

11-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Well, I think I have been hit with HPFP problem

Its bad enough I got the 29.2 lag from a cold start problem a few months ago. That upgrade was supposed to fix it(NOT). It still cranks a good bit in the morning @ cold starts.

Moving along to this morning, it cranked forever, and when it stated, it almost shut off, rough idle and all. I left it warm up and everything seemed fine, on my way to work, I got on it a bit from a 20mph roll, and thats where the problem started. I had NO power, car shakes, almost stalls at lights, feels like 1/2 power. I shut it off at work and restarted it 1/2 hour later and things were fine. It never through a code either, thats what confused me. I called the dealer and set up an appointment, but was told since it didn't have any fault messages, they would have a hard time figuring it out.

So, on my way home, I waited till I got close to home and tried getting on it hard again, same thing happened as in the morning. BUT this time, I have a service soon light !!!!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
That's odd... my car never did the shudder thing... the worst it did was take 5-6 seconds to start. It definitely threw the 2FBF code, so it's surprising that yours didn't throw something. Hopefully, now that you got a SES light, they'll find something.
      11-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Damn sorry to hear that. I looked all over this side of Phoenix for some non ethanol gas but just cannot find it. Good luck, let us know what happens.
What is the production date of your vehicle and how many miles do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

same thing happened to me last night! tried to start it and it just cranks and cranks and cranks then starts, sputters then dies. no codes either. still trying to get it to stay running, but no can do. just like that, from running, to no running. im praying its the fuel pump and nothing more serious. 05/07 build.

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
I have an 11/06 build, and have 29,400 miles
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

27000 miles, been rough idling for a few weeks when cold, got codes yesterday and today, took it in for service, they the memory showed 2 misfires on cylinder 3. They could not replicate the problem so all they did was switch the coil from cyl 3 to cyl 1 to see if it happens there.

I asked the guy "wtf, how many malfunctions does it take to get part replaced", he had no real answer. BMW service is starting to suck.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

Holy cow, the HPFP was getting more common and now looks like it is increasing. Scares the hell out of me. BMW should just recall the HPFP's.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

I wonder if running at least one gallon of good race gas with each filling of the tank help prevent this HPFP failure. If the 10% ethanol is really the culprit would a 100 octane non-ethanol gallon help set this off? I could be way wrong but the cost would certainly offset the PITA HPFP problem. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
I work with a guy that has had his share of fast track cars, hes telling me the ethanol should have nothing to do with our problems. He states ethanol burns cooler and our cars should like the coolness, he also says alot of guys run a small ethanol injection to help the turbo cars run cooler.

Not sure if this is true, just stating what was told to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

According Orb, he states the ethanol is corrosive to the seals on the pump. The problem is the seals on the pump and not the pump itself.

The turbos and engine may like the ethanol, but the pump seals dont seem to. The 3rd generation FP is said to have seals that are not damaged by ethanol.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Update, I couldn't put up with the NO power, I called the dealer this morning and said, i'm bringing it in NOW !!!!

He was fine with that, and had an 09 328 X-drive waiting for me as a loaner.

I will update more next week, hopefully they get it fixed fast, I don't care for the loaner they gave me. No pwr seats, no Nav., No Sirius, and NO TURBOS.

Oh, and another thing, I hate those new Dumbo Mirrors, look like elephant ears !!!!
other than that the 09's look good from the front, but don't care for the rear ends.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Good luck on getting it fixed - Great customer service, huh??? It sound like you had to DEMAND that they fix your car.

Could be worse though; they could have put you in a suzuki loaner!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Good luck on getting it fixed - Great customer service, huh??? It sound like you had to DEMAND that they fix your car.

Could be worse though; they could have put you in a suzuki loaner!
The SA guy wasn't really the most pleasant guy, but he was working on a Sat. and I know if I had to work saturdays I wouldn't be pleasant either. He did agree with me and thinks it the HPFP. I couldn't handle driving the car the way it was, as long as you took it easy it ran fine, but as soon as you got on it hard, it lost power. I am too much of a lead foot, too drive a car like ours and take it easy.

I have always gotten top notch loaners from my dealer(Sun Motor Cars). If they would not have had a loaner, my sales guy would have stepped up with something, you figure between the wife and I,we spent 100k their in the last year. I was gonna hit him for a M3 sedan, but I was afraid I would have fallen in love.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Hopefully today it will be done, they told me it was the HPFP, it was in the shop being replaced.

Does anyone know when they replace it, if they will reprogram my car again ???
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #15
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yroldawakening View Post
Hopefully today it will be done, they told me it was the HPFP, it was in the shop being replaced.

Does anyone know when they replace it, if they will reprogram my car again ???
gosh, i hope they didn't update my progman when they changed my fuel pump today :-(

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
They normally WILL update the progman when they put in a new pump. How do I know? I am on my fourth pump.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
They normally WILL update the progman when they put in a new pump. How do I know? I am on my fourth pump.
I was told they didn't update it, but there are a few signs they did something electrical. Maybe when they disconnected the battery it caused some items to reset.

Anyways, I have a feeling my pump has been going out for a while, I thought a lot of the problems were related to my 29.2 flash, but once I picked it up today and tried WOT, its runs great again. I still have the lag until around 3k, but I had some hesitations at high rpm's before, BUT its all better now !!!!

I just pray it my one & only HPFP problem !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #18
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

Nice to here they resolved it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
dselek
2008 BMW 335i Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
gosh, i hope they didn't update my progman when they changed my fuel pump today :-(
When I got mine replaced a month ago, I specifically told the customer rep in the dealer not to touch the progman because of Dinan Stage II software. And they did not. I read somewhere in the forum before that somebody went through the same thing and told the SA not to update the progman because of the Dinan software but he was told that it is mandatory to update progman after HPFP change and they would re-install the Dinan again at no cost later at the end. I wasn't told anything that sort. But they did what I asked them to do anyway.
      12-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #20
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yroldawakening View Post
I was told they didn't update it, but there are a few signs they did something electrical. Maybe when they disconnected the battery it caused some items to reset.

Anyways, I have a feeling my pump has been going out for a while, I thought a lot of the problems were related to my 29.2 flash, but once I picked it up today and tried WOT, its runs great again. I still have the lag until around 3k, but I had some hesitations at high rpm's before, BUT its all better now !!!!

I just pray it my one & only HPFP problem !!!!!
When you were having your rough idle problem, did it sometime's go away, and then come back again later?

I'm having a similiar type of issue and was wondering if you could maybe stop by and take a look. TIA!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191425
      12-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T i h o r View Post
When you were having your rough idle problem, did it sometime's go away, and then come back again later?

I'm having a similiar type of issue and was wondering if you could maybe stop by and take a look. TIA!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191425
It got worse as time went on, seemed like the colder it got the worse the rough idle was. You should be having long cranks in the AM also, thats one of the first things I noticed. Once the car warmed up and I drove around, the rough idle was gone. But, as time went on, the long cranks got worse and would happen rather it was a cold AM start or a warmed up engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #22
aerodyte
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
When you had problems with your pumps (high pressure i assume), did you have any fault codes? I'm starting to have long cranking where the car wont start. The dealer in Pleasanton said that my fuel pump was already changed in September. I asked if it was the 3rd generation pump. He said he didn't know. He said they could not replace the pump if there were no fault codes. For your 4 replacements, what were the simptoms and what convinced the dealer to replace them that many times?
Appreciate 0