E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Getting Tints this week

05-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #23
danny156b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: WRX

I got my car tinted at TNT and he did nothing special about the rear dot matrix. So much for being a perfectionist... I am considering re-tinting elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
They must have to make the tint which is why it takes 1-2 days

I'm running 20% all around, and I went to National Glass Tinting in Kensington. Mark did an excellent job, in my opinion. I'm not too much of a dot matrix freak myself, though. And I've got an E90.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #25
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post

I'm running 20% all around, and I went to National Glass Tinting in Kensington. Mark did an excellent job, in my opinion. I'm not too much of a dot matrix freak myself, though. And I've got an E90.
e90 guys have no jurisdiction in this thread!!! you don't know what us e92 guys have to go through to find a tint guy that can actually walk the walk and not feed us a heaping ton of BS

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny156b View Post
I got my car tinted at TNT and he did nothing special about the rear dot matrix. So much for being a perfectionist... I am considering re-tinting elsewhere.
Did you see this thread? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513195
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThreeFive View Post
I went 3 times to have my tint corrected and during the second visit, the tinter used the glue method. Needless to say, the 3rd visit is when vinyl was used.

I was one of the guinea pigs to try all 3 methods 4 years ago and unfortunately it wasn't planned that way.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Doctors orders?

I may be able to get a note. Anyone gotten a doctors note after getting lasik?? They stress wearing sunglasses/seeing as little UV light as possible after the surgery.
You probably have a good chance with this. I went through an optometrist for my medical authorization. All the authorization gets you is 35% on the fronts and windshield.

DMV Form: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf

Quote:
I went 3 times to have my tint corrected and during the second visit, the tinter used the glue method. Needless to say, the 3rd visit is when vinyl was used.

I was one of the guinea pigs to try all 3 methods 4 years ago and unfortunately it wasn't planned that way.
That's unfortunate. Are you happy with the results since that time? Do you have any pictures?

I have been unhappy with the dot matrix on my car since I got it done, but redoing the tint fell further down my mod list. I might want to revisit that after seeing some of these latest posts and getting a better idea of what options are out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #29
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
e90 guys have no jurisdiction in this thread!!! you don't know what us e92 guys have to go through to find a tint guy that can actually walk the walk and not feed us a heaping ton of BS
I can imagine

You guys have the sexy bodied cars, though. So its a nice trade-off.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #30
Super Amjo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

I have a docs note and like the person above said - it only gets you 35 all around. BTW - I just got it from a family doc, he didn't even ask why - his thing was 'it's ur car and it's not affecting anyone else so who cares'

Never been pulled over for my tint, but I like to have the docs note as reassurance -
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I wanted to send a follow up since it's been a while. I got the tints done a few weeks back. Sorry I haven't gotten to uploading pics yet but I still plan to.

Well, I honestly wasn't impressed at all with Matt, his business attitude, or the quality of his work. Am I happy with the results? Somewhat/yes. But he didn't do anything about the dot matrix, and it looks pretty bad from up close. I also didn't realize there's dot matrix on ALL the windows (the edges of the front and side windows have it too), so the tint is not even on any of the dot matrix on any single window. But, like I said, it's barely noticeable except for very up close and you have to be looking for imperfections. I've actually gotten several compliments on the looks of the tint and people have told me they didn't notice the dot matrix crap until I asked/told them about it. The areas that were flat (non-dot matrix) were done flawless and look great.

Matt had a somewhat pissy attitude, and although he seemed like a cool guy to have a beer with, I figured he just dealt with an asshole customer or something. He went on this whole tirade about how customers would come back all pissed off about something they weren't happy about instead of asking to fix it nicely. I dunno, I didn't feel like he should have been venting to me as another paying customer. It was weird to hear a business owner do that to a customer.

He tried to avoid the several conversations I had about the dot matrix/vinyl. I told him I was concerned about how the dot matrix would come out, and his counter was he was only concerned about how the non-dot matrix would come out..........wow.

All in all I paid $240, which I think was too high for the lack of quality of work for this specific car. But like I said, I'm easy to please and never really got mad/nervous/upset about the end result, which happens immediately when I'm not pleased for what I pay. So I guess I'm alright.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
ColtonVTECs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
In VA you have to have 50% up front.

I have never been pulled over for tints in VA or MD. I run 35% all around.
This.

50% up front and 40% in rear if you have extra doors.

I have 20% all the way around and I have never been pulled over because of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #33
E92Monstah
E92 OCD
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i Coupe

Garage List
Matt at TNT has done 4 cars for me, including my E92 and my wife's E82 (just last week; took a couple of hours). He stands by his work. A word of caution though -- He'll talk your ear off. Drop your car off and get out of there!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

$240? Holy crap.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:

All in all I paid $240, which I think was too high for the lack of quality of work for this specific car. But like I said, I'm easy to please and never really got mad/nervous/upset about the end result, which happens immediately when I'm not pleased for what I pay. So I guess I'm alright.

$240 ? obviously you did not get the ceramic tint. Yeah, Matt seems to have an attitude. He quoted me $380 for ceramic and I did not like the tone of his voice so I went to LA Tint. Very happy with the result !

check out the tint on my coupe.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550358

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)

Last edited by 1N54E92; 07-14-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #36
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

i ran 5% for years and never got pulled over, of course that could be because of the fire tags, but hey who knows lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #37
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post

What did it cost you to tint the windows if you don't mind me asking?
I live in bethesda, so that's a good location for me
      07-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #38
MissMyE30
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonVTECs View Post
This.

50% up front and 40% in rear if you have extra doors.

I have 20% all the way around and I have never been pulled over because of it.
Not quite. 50 in the front 35 for everything behind the driver.

Also the state of registration doesn't matter. The code of VA states any vehicle driven on a VA highway must comply. I have pulled and written out of state tint but only if it's illegal in their home state too but it doesn't really matter.

46.2-1052 is the code section btw
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #39
AaronLBeltran
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
I wanted to send a follow up since it's been a while. I got the tints done a few weeks back. Sorry I haven't gotten to uploading pics yet but I still plan to.

Well, I honestly wasn't impressed at all with Matt, his business attitude, or the quality of his work. Am I happy with the results? Somewhat/yes. But he didn't do anything about the dot matrix, and it looks pretty bad from up close. I also didn't realize there's dot matrix on ALL the windows (the edges of the front and side windows have it too), so the tint is not even on any of the dot matrix on any single window. But, like I said, it's barely noticeable except for very up close and you have to be looking for imperfections. I've actually gotten several compliments on the looks of the tint and people have told me they didn't notice the dot matrix crap until I asked/told them about it. The areas that were flat (non-dot matrix) were done flawless and look great.

Matt had a somewhat pissy attitude, and although he seemed like a cool guy to have a beer with, I figured he just dealt with an asshole customer or something. He went on this whole tirade about how customers would come back all pissed off about something they weren't happy about instead of asking to fix it nicely. I dunno, I didn't feel like he should have been venting to me as another paying customer. It was weird to hear a business owner do that to a customer.

He tried to avoid the several conversations I had about the dot matrix/vinyl. I told him I was concerned about how the dot matrix would come out, and his counter was he was only concerned about how the non-dot matrix would come out..........wow.

Did it take the full 2 days, or was he able to take care of it on day 1? Did you talk to him about getting it redone since it wasn't 100% to your satisfaction?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #40
nella02
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe black/red interior

Tint in Gaithersburg

Reading through all these posts is making my head spin....I have a 355i coupe black w/ red interior...I want to make it as dark as I can to keep that sexy look a black car can have....I considered not doing it due to how I love the red interior glowing when the light comes in on a sunny day.....thoughts? I will post a pic soon of my car but seeing that this is a forum i'm sure you have seen it around.I am new to 'a forum' but not to being a car enthusiast. Your advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #41
feaganszhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP

I run 18% in the rear and 35% in the front in va and have never had any trouble with the cops for it