E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive, Radio, etc died

03-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
garfunkah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330dT

iDrive, Radio, etc died

I have a 330d, E91 Touring with Navigation professional, manufactured in 2005.

Problem started with "Please insert navigation disc". At first it was just to eject and then re-insert it. Some time later this didn't work, but it worked fine the next time the car was started.

Next, the problem escalated and it couldn't read the disc when the car was started when warm. When cold it still worked.

Then, the screen started to reboot itself, turning black and then giving the BMW-logo and then coming back. Later on, the screen didn't come back after turning black. Sometimes it did work when starting the car, sometimes not.

The end of it was that the lights never turned off and one could hear a fan in the back, much like a Windows laptop, watching flash movies. The unit didn't power off when taking out the key. Not after two hour. Even tried taking of the battery. The instance I plugged the battery in, the fan started again.

Currently I'm driving with the fuse taken out, to make sure the battery isn't drained.

On the swedish forum a couple of people insisted that it might be enough to replace to dvd-reader. And I can buy that, the problem started with no being able to read the disc. However, can a broken reader gives these symptoms? I mean, the unit seems rather dead.

I had a workshop read the fault codes when I had the engine oil changed, but they couldn't even get in contact with the unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunkah View Post
I have a 330d, E91 Touring with Navigation professional, manufactured in 2005.

Problem started with "Please insert navigation disc". At first it was just to eject and then re-insert it. Some time later this didn't work, but it worked fine the next time the car was started.

Next, the problem escalated and it couldn't read the disc when the car was started when warm. When cold it still worked.

Then, the screen started to reboot itself, turning black and then giving the BMW-logo and then coming back. Later on, the screen didn't come back after turning black. Sometimes it did work when starting the car, sometimes not.

The end of it was that the lights never turned off and one could hear a fan in the back, much like a Windows laptop, watching flash movies. The unit didn't power off when taking out the key. Not after two hour. Even tried taking of the battery. The instance I plugged the battery in, the fan started again.

Currently I'm driving with the fuse taken out, to make sure the battery isn't drained.

On the swedish forum a couple of people insisted that it might be enough to replace to dvd-reader. And I can buy that, the problem started with no being able to read the disc. However, can a broken reader gives these symptoms? I mean, the unit seems rather dead.

I had a workshop read the fault codes when I had the engine oil changed, but they couldn't even get in contact with the unit.
I had the bold as a problem. Dealership ended up suggesting to replace the whole unit. Said there was a break in the MOST system. $1000 out of my pocket.

I honestly had no idea what was wrong with mine. When it did manage to boot up, it could read the discs. Rather then throw parts at it, I replaced the whole thing and am covered for at least 2 years, and then some if my SA can work it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
garfunkah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330dT

Yes, I've gotten a price to fully replace it, but if changing the dvd would be enough, I can get away with about 10% of the cost.
Appreciate 0