E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How do I lift my 328xi without completely ruining the handling?

01-21-2022, 11:59 PM   #1
gannex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

How do I lift my 328xi without completely ruining the handling?

I bought a 328xi as a Subaru alternative, as I enjoy how the rear wheel-biased AWD handles in the snow, and I find BMWs more comfortable and reliable than Subarus, but I a finding that my front bumper just becomes a snow plow at the stock ride height. I really want to build the 328xi to make it ideal for driving in deeper snow and also on light gravel roads in the summer. My long-term plan is to put a rear LSD, a shortshifter, 17" steelies, and a slight suspension lift, but I'm really not sure about how to go about lifting the suspension without ruining the ride completely. I really only want an extra 1-2 inches of lift, but it seems like almost all the suspension kits designed for e90s are meant for lowering them. Could I do this with adjustable coilovers? Is there anything that bolts on to the e90 that I could use? I have seen the "Rising Tuning" kit with 4 cm spacers, so I was thinking about going cheap and trying those out with my stock suspension, but I suspect that that will suck. Has anyone got any ideas/advice for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

There is a thread here somewhere on exactly that topic. You'll have to do your own search.

IIRC X3 springs in the rear were the ticket. Don't remember what was done in the front but perhaps 2wd front e90 springs?
      01-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
gannex
Registered
Rep

OK so upon doing more research, I've read that it is possible to convert it to x1 or x3 suspension. The other thing I was thinking of is just using my stock suspension with this https://risingtuning.com/lift-kits/product-784; however, it seems a little bit expensive for what it is. My stock suspension is still strong, so I think that would be fine. From what I understand, a spacer kit will give me the added clearance I want without changing the stiffness of my suspension much, but somehow I doubt it will really do that without fucking up the ride feel at least somewhat. On the other hand, x1 or x3 suspension would be longer (by how much?), but would change the stiffness somewhat, but maybe this would be good, though, if I was increasing the clearance and changing the wheel/tire size anyways. I figure, I would want to stick with suspension that is designed for a vehicle of similar weight.

The Goog tells me that
  • my 2007 328xi (e90) weighs 3582 lbs
  • a 2007 x1 (e84) weighs 3450 lbs
  • a 2007 x3 weighs 4012 lbs
(not sure how reliable this information is)
so it seems like the best non-aftermarket option would be x1 suspension. But will this work with my stock bushings/joints?
Alternatively, I guess I could get adjustable coilovers, but it seems like most of these are designed for lowering rather than raising the clearance.

So, what would be better for my application?
an e90 with e84 suspension, an e90 with stock suspension and 40 mm polyurethane spacers, or an e90 with some kind of custom setup involving aftermarket coilovers possibly not intended for use on an e90?

Long term goal is to switch my M3 mags/summers and stock mags/winters for 17" BMW steelies and studded winters/better quality all seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
There is a thread here somewhere on exactly that topic. You'll have to do your own search.

IIRC X3 springs in the rear were the ticket. Don't remember what was done in the front but perhaps 2wd front e90 springs?
Just saw your post. I'm aware of https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413836. I just wanted to start a new thread about my research rather than reviving an old thread, as I am looking into some other options as well (like the spacers I mentioned). It looks like he just swapped in x1 rear suspension and left his front suspension stock. This makes sense for improving the "saggy rear end", but it wouldn't help me stop my front bumper from being a snowplow. I guess another option would be polyurethane spacers and stock struts on the front end and x1 rear suspension. I would probably have to adjust the height of the spacers to <=((x1 struts height)-(e90 struts height)). Maybe this is the best option. I guess in that case, I would be better off getting new front struts as well, as mine have >265k kms on them.

Last edited by gannex; 01-22-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

2007 x1 (e84) weighs 3450 lbs > 4cyl probably? 6cyl would same or heavier than 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

My vote would be to go for custom coilovers. I'd say reach out to BC, (I've had really, really good experiences with BC) and talk to them about your needs. If you're wanting a stock feeling ride, they can spec a stock stiffness spring and they'll valve the struts appropriately for the springs too. That way, the entiere body of thr strut that provides the lift (threaded strut body to extend or contract without affecting the spring/preload/shock travel). Personally, when i went to lower my drift car on coils, I set them at half adjustment and gave the car a 3" lift, had to go adjust all of them again. The company is your friend, they will probably talk you through your options.

Spacers are a half solution that wont affect ride quality much, but will still affect your alignment the same way. Plus you cna find yourself out of the normal operating range for the strut, potentially topping them out. Coils retain the suspension settings an travel whille separating the ride height from the equation entirely. Imo, coils are the way to go if they're available.
      04-04-2022, 02:59 AM   #6
gannex
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
My vote would be to go for custom coilovers. I'd say reach out to BC, (I've had really, really good experiences with BC) and talk to them about your needs. If you're wanting a stock feeling ride, they can spec a stock stiffness spring and they'll valve the struts appropriately for the springs too. That way, the entiere body of thr strut that provides the lift (threaded strut body to extend or contract without affecting the spring/preload/shock travel). Personally, when i went to lower my drift car on coils, I set them at half adjustment and gave the car a 3" lift, had to go adjust all of them again. The company is your friend, they will probably talk you through your options.
That's a really good point man. thank you. I was kind of confused about figuring out the exact correct specs for coilovers, and I didn't think to just call the experts. I'm sure they could set me up with something just right. That said, it would be pretty cool to find a way to do this on the cheap. This car has some miles on it and I have crashed it, so I am planning to prep it for snow and dirt roads and hoon the hell out of it, thus I'm not sure I want to invest in coilovers if I can avoid it. This is why I was thinking of doing something janky like x1 struts.

I've got to drive the car a little more first. Maybe, if I end up falling in love with it, I'll consider a lift on coilovers before next winter. I'm also sort of thinking about a rear LSD, but I'm not sure how well a rear LSD would really work on a full time AWD model. Given that the centre diff would still be open, I wonder whether breaking traction a little in the rear would just push all the power to the front. I think it would work out if I put it into 80/20 R/F "snow mode" with xdelete. Have you got any thoughts on that?

Here's a picture von der Bayerischen Prinzessin:

My ideal build for this car would be
  • 1.5-2.0" lift on coilovers
  • 17" steelies with mildly grippy tires
  • wavetrac LSD in the rear end
  • polyurethane subframe bushings
  • taller shift knob
  • big front lightbar or possibly even a welded front bumper
  • massive sub in the trunk

I just want to hoon it in the snow on my way to ski days and maybe take it on some twisty dirt roads in the summer

Last edited by gannex; 04-04-2022 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 08:53 AM   #7
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

You're definitely on the right track with x1 rear suspension.

BMW makes 'poor road package' spacer for the front. This is for countries with terrible road surfaces. This will get you 20mm.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/31306779671/

[IMG]https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/261528_x800.webp[/IMG]

I think you can also swap to a RWD front strut top mount as it is taller than the xdrive unit. Both solutions will add some clearance and not have an effect on the dampers range of motion.

You may also be able to swap in a different spring perch, however this will change the position of the damper so it may 'top out' over extreme hill crests

You can also help by going up one tire profile size(e.g. 40 to 45) Your Speedo will now read more accurately too!

The oem Xdrive suspension is relatively soft and absorbs amazingly well, I think it will be a great balance for some gravel driving.

Get some used parts and try it!!

The $$ level after that is looking at solving the small amount of stroke that the front strut has. Because of the drive shafts the struts have to be shorter than the RWD model. Xdrive front does rely heavily on the bump stops.
So if you want to increase front damper stroke maybe x1 front strut has longer damper travel? If it can even fit? Maybe even rwd struts? They'll be very similar except maybe the sway bar link mount, so you may need adjustable end links to get the length right…

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #8
JimLahey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 318i LCI

Sorry to revive this relatively old thread. But since I'm planning to do the same I was wondering if you ever got to lifting your car?

I have a non-xdrive e91 that im looking to lift as much as safely possible. For now im going with bigger tires (215/60/16) as someone else on the forum has, and the rising tuning 1.6" lift kit or something similar. This should lift the car by 2,75" inches.
Appreciate 0