E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is this normal?

10-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
alaskanate
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330I

Is this normal?

Good day, just bought this car for super cheap (commuter) It needed a starter and a couple other small things. Now I am onto the suspension side. Is this amount of camber normal? Is this something an allignment shop can take care of, or am I going to be a parts replacer here. I'm usually working on large trucks + Suvs, so I am a little out of my realm here. The rears have quite a bit more than the front, and the inside of the tires are bald. The front passenger seems to have quite a bit more than the driver side. The steering wheel is also off a couple degrees, and the tie rods seem bottomed out where I cannot bring the steering wheel inline. hopefully the attachments come through OK

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Those struts and are trashed. My front right is doing the same thing (camber is -2.5) because it's smoked. I'm running m3 control arms which only gives -1.5 without camber plates. Tie-rods are cheap and really important. I'd replace those asap if you have the money. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
alaskanate
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Those struts and are trashed. My front right is doing the same thing (camber is -2.5) because it's smoked. I'm running m3 control arms which only gives -1.5 without camber plates. Tie-rods are cheap and really important. I'd replace those asap if you have the money. Cheers.
Awesome. I need to probably do all four corners than. I've been seeing a lot from FCP Euro, so I'll probably order through them. Did you mean to say coils as well? I think it would be worth doing a kit that includes everything, and maybe even a control arm kit if they have one. I'm not sure if anything is bent, or has ever been replaced and it has 180k on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

The previous owner may have had the car "stanced" and put the original wheels on just to sell. Hard to tell in pics, but is your car lowered?
Take a look at the strut towers under the hood and see if there are plates installed or the upper strut mounts have been modified. This is where you will find any mods to increase camber on the front.
The rears have eccentric bolts on the arms, and often will require adjustable camber arms for excessive camber. Your images of the rear wheels indicate a lot of camber.

Before you start throwing parts at that, try and get it properly aligned and/or inspected. If you have that much camber due to worn/bent parts I suspect you will be having all sorts of drivability issues.
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Agreed with the above response. This feels modified as each wheel has too much camber (at least from the photos provided). Maybe the original owner swapped springs or installed plates. You can replace the struts and reuse the springs or buy a kit and replace everything. Depends on your budget. If the car is high mileage this s**t just wears out.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 3351

Always worth it to get it to a reputable BMW shop/dealer and have it aligned!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:51 PM   #7
alaskanate
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys, replaced rear shocks since they were completely blown out, and lower mounts werent doing their job. Getting it "aligned" by one of the only shops that will work on them this Tuesday. Should be expecting a laundry list of worn parts to replace so I can get this back on the road comfortably. There's simply too many parts that could be the culprit to just start throwing parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:08 PM   #8
alaskanate
Registered
Rep

Interesting, with how out of spec it was, I'm surprised nothing had to be replaced to get it mostly in spec. The shop could not get camber on the front right, due to a bent strut as mentioned above. They also recommended replacing the torsion arm? on that side. I'll probably get a refresh kit for the front this summer and then get an alignment done again. I'm wondering how it got so out of spec, as the suspension components look pretty worn.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:22 PM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Nice! That's a good alignment now, might pull a bit with the mismatched camber but the toe and everything else looks great so you shouldn't wear out tires.

New struts and control arms when you can and she'll be driving great!
Appreciate 0