E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Low(er) Dust Brake Pads

12-09-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Low(er) Dust Brake Pads

I need new brakes for my E93 335 and I'm looking for something with less dust. I already have rotors; Zimmerman fronts and Pagid high carbon rears.

I had a 325i and after using a set of squeaky Centric pads I switched to Textar pads and they were absolutely incredible except for the nasty dust. My 330i currently has Akebono pads and virtually no dust, but not that wonderful feeling from the Textar or OEM pads.

I was leaning toward the TRW ceramic pads available from FCP however I read a handful of reviews on various sites that claim they dust horribly. I also read in several places that the Jurid aftermarket pads (not ceramic) will create dust, but nowhere near amount that the Textar or OEM pads do. The Jurid pads are inexpensive too.

Now I'm looking into the Ate ceramic pads. Has anyone used these? They have the ECE-R90 certification so they should be nearly identical to OEM braking performance and pedal feel, and they advertise low dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

Hi!

I am using on my 335i brakes TRW ceramic pads front and rear (they are called something like "DTEC". I am driving a lot, and after year of using them I am very happy with their performacne - braking power for daily spirited driving is very good, and there is almost no dust. I am frequently driving in high mountains, so that is good test for them. ATE ceramic pads are also very good option if you want to reduce dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
brian9237
Rep
Drives: bmw128i

brake pads

I use hawk hp pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Hawk or Akebono are both highly recommended. I usually use Hawk HPS very low dust and highly rated
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
No personal experience but the R90 spec is a good start. I had Akebono Euro Ceramic pads on another vehicle and the lack of cold bite and pedal feel were terrible. Replaced with Textars which feel great but dust a lot. There seems to be a direct relationship between initial bite and brake dust - maybe the ATE Ceramics have a better balance? There are also Textar e-pads but they may be difficult to source.

For what it's worth, the ATE Ceramic pads scored higher than OE VW pads for braking performance and friction consistency in this ADAC test:

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...-bremsbelaege/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nightman View Post
No personal experience but the R90 spec is a good start. I had Akebono Euro Ceramic pads on another vehicle and the lack of cold bite and pedal feel were terrible. Replaced with Textars which feel great but dust a lot. There seems to be a direct relationship between initial bite and brake dust - maybe the ATE Ceramics have a better balance? There are also Textar e-pads but they may be difficult to source.

For what it's worth, the ATE Ceramic pads scored higher than OE VW pads for braking performance and friction consistency in this ADAC test:

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...-bremsbelaege/
That's precisely why I don't want Akebono. I have them on my 330 and the only good things are virtually no dust and longevity.

I'm leaning towards the Ate ceramics. I'll report an update once I get them installed and get some time on them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

It will be interesting to see how you like the ATE pads. As literally no one else has any comments regarding them.

From what I can see they appear to be a environmental friendlier brake pad. I would be a bit worried about the performance though. While the BMW is for most a daily driver it uses higher end performance parts that the are not adequate for the typical family car.

I would take a hard look at the Hawk HPS over the ATE pads. Highly reviewed on this board. With reviews from Car and Driver sold via Tire Factory and other higher end shops.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:22 AM   #8
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
From what I can see they appear to be a environmental friendlier brake pad. I would be a bit worried about the performance though. While the BMW is for most a daily driver it uses higher end performance parts that the are not adequate for the typical family car.
They carry the ECE-R90 certification so I'm definitely not worried about performance. Ate is no shady brake manufacturer, my calipers are all made by Ate.

Akebono and many other popular brake pads for these cars don't have the R90 certification. But most of the euro manufacturers like Textar, Jurid, etc all have it.

I've used Hawk HPS on my Honda before and they were excellent. In fact I had a ton of brake problems on that car since new and went through 4 sets of different pad and rotor combos mad the only thing that wasn't noisy, had minimal dust, excellent performance, and no uneven deposits were the Hawk pads paired with DBA slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:40 PM   #9
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
They carry the ECE-R90 certification so I'm definitely not worried about performance. Ate is no shady brake manufacturer, my calipers are all made by Ate.

Akebono and many other popular brake pads for these cars don't have the R90 certification. But most of the euro manufacturers like Textar, Jurid, etc all have it.

I've used Hawk HPS on my Honda before and they were excellent. In fact I had a ton of brake problems on that car since new and went through 4 sets of different pad and rotor combos mad the only thing that wasn't noisy, had minimal dust, excellent performance, and no uneven deposits were the Hawk pads paired with DBA slotted rotors.

Hoping you return with an update after trying out. I'm always wanting to learn about something different and new.

Please oh please don't interpret me as a naysayer as I'm just asking questions. I have no dog in the hunt and could care less about Hawk (other than they work good for me) but what you said stands out.

Why is it after finding that so many pads didn't live up and yet the Hawk outshined. you are still on the hunt for something different? It just seems you found a proven winner when so many failed you..??
Appreciate 0